Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest fdnyladder10

NYPD Vehicles

8 posts in this topic

I recently visited the green emerald city, and noticed while going about the city in cabs, that there wered a heck of a lot of NYPD RMP's parked up outside what i think were precincts, and i mean there were at leat 20 of them!! I saw this numerous times in different locations around Manhattan.

My question is, how many rmp's are attached to each precinct, and if they are all parked up outside the precincts, who is patrolling the city???

Jarrod

I recently visited the green emerald city, and noticed while going about the city in cabs, that there wered a heck of a lot of NYPD RMP's parked up outside what i think were precincts, and i mean there were at leat 20 of them!! I saw this numerous times in different locations around Manhattan.

My question is, how many rmp's are attached to each precinct, and if they are all parked up outside the precincts, who is patrolling the city???

Jarrod

All depends on the precinct... some precincts have more RMP's assigned to them than others... some of the RMP's may have been out of service for various reasons, other RMP's are assigned to details within the precinct and only used by those details (i.e. Domestic Violence, Conditions, Impact, etc. will each have their own RMP for exclusive use), so if those details aren't working the cars are parked. A precinct may turn out 5 or 6 sectors and a sergeant, so that's 6 or 7 cars out of 30 the command may have. Then all the specialized units (Domestic Violence, Summons/Radar Cars, Conditions Units, Anti-Crime, Street Narcotics Enforcement, Burglary Team, Auto Larceny Team, Impact Autos and any other details the precinct may have) that are out on the road.

Not to mention that there are obviously spare units assigned to each house. These are used in the event that other units are suddenly taken out of service for mechanical or other reasons as well as if there is a major incident and extra manpower is called in.

Not to mention that there are obviously spare units assigned to each house. These are used in the event that other units are suddenly taken out of service for mechanical or other reasons as well as if there is a major incident and extra manpower is called in.

thanks guys, u managed to get info on ESU number of REP's for those interested, normally assigned to each truck is 3 REP's, with only 2 usually crewed at any one time, a spare REP will be garaged strategically in a borough for when one is down for repair. Alongside the 3 REP's is the truck, and tactical vehicles, such as a couple of suburbans, and the hummer parked up at the rear of the garage.

The duty sergeant and officer assigned to the truck, will service an maintain the units kept in the quarters as part of the normal day.

Cheers

Jarrod

Someone mentioned that Anti-Crime ran RMPs... I thought they used unmarked or non-descript units. Any info on that?

Someone mentioned that Anti-Crime ran RMPs... I thought they used unmarked or non-descript units. Any info on that?

Anti-Crime is typically assigned to unmarked RMP's. Depends on the command and whether there is overlapping crime teams where there are not enough unmarked cars to go around... No commands have spare cars "just in case", in terms of calling in extra manpower. Commands are typically short vehicles, and it's not uncommon for a sector to wait an hour or two before a car becomes available at the beginning of tour for them to go out on patrol in.

Edited by JJB531

Conditions uses RMPs or vans only? And what exactly do they do other than summonses?

Conditions uses RMPs or vans only? And what exactly do they do other than summonses?

They use either... depends how many are assigned to the conditions team and how many vehicles they have assigned to their unit. When I was in conditions we were in unmarked autos until they all got totalled, then we ended up either all in one van or two seperate RMP's. They address "condiditons" within the precinct. Prostitution, disorderly groups, narcotic sales, club enforcement and state liquor authority violations at establishments, trespassing in buildings prone to narcotic sales, etc.