Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Photo's of Structure Fire - City of Beacon N.Y. - Mountain Lane - 2/18/08

21 posts in this topic

This fire occurred at approximately 4:30 am on 2/18/08 Mountain Lane which is located at the end of East Main St at the base of Mt. Beacon. According to FF's on the scene, The 2 story residential structure was the site of a previous fire several years ago and has been abandoned since that incident and as a result, this was an exterior operation due to the questionable structural integrity of the building. Firefighters were faced with high winds and a driving rain (Although it was warm - ~60 deg) and poor performing hydrants due to the elevation of the same..... Glenham assisted at the scene by hitting a hydrant at the base of Mountain Ave which significantly improved the water situation and the Village of Fishkill provided the F.A.S.T. Team..... Rombout and Chelsea provided station coverage for the City..... This was a difficult fire to photograph due to the driving rain and I wasn't going to post these...... I had to cover my camera with a plastic bag and keeping the rain off my lens was all but impossible....... I was really wishing that I had an under-water housing for my camera :unsure: ........... Here are some photo's .....I know JetPhoto was there before me and has photo's too.....

256638972_WFqQY-XL.jpg

The structure was located in an area where the hydrants were poor performing which I suspect is due to the elevation of the area.... Here City of Beacons 33-45 is waiting for water....

256638984_5SVjD-XL.jpg

Firefighters wait for water to be restored to the scene as the Glenham F.D. gets set up as a boost pumper at the base of Mountain Ave.

256639327_EJ2Vv-XL.jpg

Beacons Engine 33-11 operates in front of the fire building. It rained heavily

and the winds were strong which made getting the photo's an effort.....

256639172_Jptqc-XL.jpg

Water restored and now sufficient, Ladder 33-45 begins knocking the fire down.....

256639498_diURB-XL.jpg

FF's make headway......

Even with the poor conditions you take great shots! They were crisp and detailed, great shots. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Great shots , thanks for sharing :D

Very sharp pictures!

Stay safe in Beacon

Those pictures seemed fine to me, great shots and really clear under difficult circumstances.

Thanks guy's... I'm glad you enjoyed them....I'll put a few more up later...... Bill

Thanks guy's... I'm glad you enjoyed them....I'll put a few more up later...... Bill

I learned to carry the 1 and 2 gallon ziplock bags in the camera case for severe weather events.. The 2 gallon should cover almost any setup you have (I wouldn't trust it for that much food, but for the camera it is great)

Bill! You certainly can work magic with that camera! Looking at those photos, you'd never know the difficult conditions. Great work!! As the others have said, thanks for sharing!

Great pictures, wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

I added more photo's to my web site...... Here's a few of many that I added .......

256640201_SdUJ2-XL.jpg

hitting it hard.....

256994960_UoVM8-XL.jpg

Water on the lens...... I faired much worse.......

256995097_UDy3u-XL.jpg

Over-haul......

256640504_fXXgd-XL.jpg

Smoke-out.....

256995118_eNt3C-XL.jpg

The sun rises behind the overcast sky as Beacon's ALF Tower continues to operate...

I learned to carry the 1 and 2 gallon ziplock bags in the camera case for severe weather events.. The 2 gallon should cover almost any setup you have (I wouldn't trust it for that much food, but for the camera it is great)

Great Tip!!! That's what I did....... I've been down this road before and I'm tired of the plastic bag scene.... But, it does work.....For years I've been saying no more plastic bags and I finally ordered rain gear for my camera yesterday....... The price of some of this stuff is almost as much as a lens costs (Over priced)..... I found a reasonably priced jacket that hopefully will be here next week and I'll see how that works out...... Even if you protect the camera itself, keeping the lens free of rain drops is a real challenge especially in a driving wind-whipped rain such as what occurred at this incident at times....... And then there is the possibility of condensation in the lens itself...... Fortunately my camera suffered no ill effects from this incident......

I wouldn't want to get either of those cameras of yours wet, we're talking some serious hardware, there!

I love that truck. Great shots. Any word on origin?

Thanks...... I have always liked the ALF look........ Beacon's 33-45 and the City of Poughkeepsie's Tower Ladder 2 are both "photogenic" trucks........ As far as the origin goes.... It was an unoccupied structure that was the site of a prior fire......

I wouldn't want to get either of those cameras of yours wet, we're talking some serious hardware, there!

My other camera is a 1DMkII which is weather sealed...... An thus can take the rain...... I proved that back at the last Beacon job I photographed at Hedgewood in Beacon several years ago....(They are on my web site).............. I was standing along a wall of an adjoining structure to the fire building with a group of other FF's who were taking a break in the balmy - 4 degree weather when we all were hit with the stream from a M/A Tower Ladder that over-shot the fire building...... My camera took a direct hit and was instantly frozen to my hand........ I chipped away the ice from the lens and the viewfinder as well the the shutter and aperture controls and kept shooting with a big block of ICE to my head!!!!!!! I tried to get someone to take a photo of it for me but no one had a camera that worked..... Once I returned to my truck which was already warm (You gotta love remote starters), I rapped the camera in my job shirt and absorbed the water as it melted..... As it was at this incident, I didn't fair as well as my camera did...... God it was cold...... The 1DMkII is a better camera in every aspect except it's IQ which is what's most important to me..... So that's why I didn't shoot with that.....It's buit for the rain and I could have used it w/o any protection and not worry about ruining it.... But, the images would not have been as good....

Edited by Photounit

Some of my shots

P2186660.jpg

P2186725.jpg

P2186775.jpg

P2186827.jpg

Edited by JetPhoto

Great shots BJ, even with the bag!! One of the places I inspect here in Indy makes divers underwater cases for cameras. They do some nice work.

Check out http://www.ikelite.com/

Great shots BJ, even with the bag!! One of the places I inspect here in Indy makes divers underwater cases for cameras. They do some nice work.

Check out http://www.ikelite.com/

Cool,,,,,,, Can U get me discount ??????? ;)

Hey Jim,,,,,,, I was wait'n for you to post your stuff..... You got more fire than me :( ......

Hey Jim,,,,,,, I was wait'n for you to post your stuff..... You got more fire than me :( ......

BILL GREAT WORK AS ALWAYS

Great shots Photo and Jet. I like the shot with the water on the lens Photo. Thanks for sharing

Bill, I had a problem with my internet connection otherwise I would have had them up.

As for the fire, you know how that goes sometimes you just get lucky