Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JAD622

New Wireless Unlimited Calling Plans

15 posts in this topic

This week Verizon Wireless set and industry milestone by launching a Nationwide Unlimited Calling Plan for $99.99 per month. Additional add-on services are offered with higher tier plans. This was followed by T-Mobile countering with their version and including text messaging for the same price point of $99.99 per month. Then AT&T announced it too will follow suit on Friday Feb. 22, 2008 with their Nationwide Unlimited Calling Plan also offered at $99.99 per month.

All this, off the heels of Sprint's rumored consideration of launching a Nationwide Unlimited Calling Plan to help bring back lost subscribers. So everyone felt Sprint's new CEO Dan Hesse made a fatal error by leaking a hand (strategy) he hadn't played yet, Right?

Well, it is now rumored in industry circles that Sprint may be launching their version of this "Plan War" at a price point of possibly $60.00 per month! If this becomes a reality (which seems to be the case) was this a strategic move by Sprint's CEO to lure all the other carriers to set the bar first? If so it seems pretty crafty don't you think. Both AT&T & Verizon ( #1 & #2) not wanting Sprint to gain any momentum on their already well known failing business ( losing over 687,000 subscriber in the Q4 of last year) may have shot themselves in the foot!

How many of you out there will jump on a $60 per month unlimited plan?

Let's keep our fingers crossed!! Stay tuned................................................

Story here: http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080220/wireless_pricing.html?.v=4

and here: http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/02/20/s...d-calling-plan/

Edited by JAD622

Hmm, my Nextel account is up in, oh, this week!!!

Debating whether to continue my crappy service with them, or to move onto Verizon.

Hmm, my Nextel account is up in, oh, this week!!!

Debating whether to continue my crappy service with them, or to move onto Verizon.

i gave up my nextel almost 2 years ago. went to verizon, great service! but, i still miss the bleep, bleep!

Dropped my Nextel last week, got Sprint to upgrade me to a Pocket PC at a very discounted price. Absolutely despise Verizon as they are far too overzealous with their prices and their CS sucks (had them for 4 years). Been with very happy with sprint since 2004.

This is what i negotiated with Sprint last week:

I've got 450 Anytime Minutes w/ domestic long distance, free roaming, free nights weekends starting at 7pm: $49.99

Pick 3 - Free unlimited calling to any 3 numbers on any network: $0.00

Unlimited Data: email, text message, picture message, video message, voice message, web browsing, etc. (no monthly data cap like with verizon - plus you can't beat Sprint's EVDO Rev. A network): $15.00

Total insurance coverage (usually 7/month): $0.00 for the next 24 months

15% Discount as an emergency services employee

450 dollar account credit - so i don't actually have to pay a bill for a few months

I'm eager to see what plans Sprint decides to throw into the mess to match or beat out the others, if the price and features are right i will adjust my plan. Some say they are looking into unlimited voice for 60/month. If they threw in voice and data for anywhere between 80 and 99/month sign me up!

Edited by Goose

Dropped my Nextel last week, got Sprint to upgrade me to a Pocket PC at a very discounted price. Absolutely despise Verizon as they are far too overzealous with their prices and their CS sucks (had them for 4 years). Been with very happy with sprint since 2004.

This is what i negotiated with Sprint last week:

I've got 450 Anytime Minutes w/ domestic long distance, free roaming, free nights weekends starting at 7pm: $49.99

Pick 3 - Free unlimited calling to any 3 numbers on any network: $0.00

Unlimited Data: email, text message, picture message, video message, voice message, web browsing, etc. (no monthly data cap like with verizon - plus you can't beat Sprint's EVDO Rev. A network): $15.00

Total insurance coverage (usually 7/month): $0.00 for the next 24 months

15% Discount as an emergency services employee

450 dollar account credit - so i don't actually have to pay a bill for a few months

I'm eager to see what plans Sprint decides to throw into the mess to match or beat out the others, if the price and features are right i will adjust my plan. Some say they are looking into unlimited voice for 60/month. If they threw in voice and data for anywhere between 80 and 99/month sign me up!

Hmm, my current plan, included 500 Anytime minutes, Free incoming, Unlimited 2-way, Free Nights and Weekends, Voicemail & Caller ID, and I believe was $69.99 (but of course in the end I always ended up paying almost $80 minimum.

Suggestions in how I cam finagle Sprint/Nextel for less than that?

I would love the Web Browsing, 2-way, texting, and whatever else I could get, but not paying out of my.....behind.

When is your contract up?

The reason i left nextel was because they were promising service in areas where no service existed, i threatened to take my business elsewhere - but was polite and professional about it - and was able to speak with someone from retentions to give me a good deal. I've heard of people getting far better deals than i have, i guess its all about how much you want to push. Right now, Sprint will do almost anything to stop the mass exodus to other carriers :)

i gave up my nextel almost 2 years ago. went to verizon, great service! but, i still miss the bleep, bleep!

I miss the "bleep, bleep" too, but, now I have coverage the entire length of the Hutch and 684 !

I don't get why everyone wants Nextel's "Bleep bleep." I mean it's a noise from the phone, and you can get that same noise from a well censored show. :P

Mike

Nextel always had the "unlimited plan" but it was kept quiet.

I had it for 3 years but I discontinued Nextel because of HORRIBLE service.

After a year with Cingular like an idiot I went back to Nextel and the

plan I once had was discontinued.

It started at $99.00, $149.00, most recently $199.00

and as I said recently discontinued.

Hopefully Sprint/Nextel will WAKE UP! :P

As mentioned I find the Direct Connect "Bleep Bleep" more annoying than useful.

Verizon was actually responding to Sprint's announcement of an unlimited plan. Sprint's plan will be $119/month.

Source: http://consumerist.com/357594/sprint-testi...ted-minute-plan

No, that plan is not available nationally only in a number of specific regions.

Everyone is still awaiting Sprint's official entrance into the price war, hopefully Hesse (the new CEO) will do the right thing. So far he's been earning his paycheck.

I've had Nextel for over 4 years now. I use the Direct Connect 99 percent of the time. To switch to a phone where I have to actually punch in 10 digits UHpUH. And those "speed dial" gimmicks no good far as I'm concerned.

I've had Nextel for over 4 years now. I use the Direct Connect 99 percent of the time. To switch to a phone where I have to actually punch in 10 digits UHpUH. And those "speed dial" gimmicks no good far as I'm concerned.

Well you've got until 2010 - 2012 then iDEN gets shut off or sold. Sprint is coming out with a new version of Direct Connect based on QChat technology. Basically, its the nextel push to talk on a regular CDMA sprint phone. So, you've got, in theory, better service area and less interfeance with public safety and current radio infrastructure. Should be out by middle of this year, keep your eyes open. :)

Well you've got until 2010 - 2012 then iDEN gets shut off or sold. Sprint is coming out with a new version of Direct Connect based on QChat technology. Basically, its the nextel push to talk on a regular CDMA sprint phone. So, you've got, in theory, better service area and less interfeance with public safety and current radio infrastructure. Should be out by middle of this year, keep your eyes open. :)

Why, thanks for the heads-up! I'll be watching! I got the ic502 last June, they told me the ic902 wouldn't be out for a while. Didn't find out it was out until well after the 30 day return/upgrade period was up. But if this new 2-way system comes out, we'll see.