Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcoppola

Cell Phone use for Public Safety Personnel

15 posts in this topic

I have a question which maybe one of our Law Enforcement members can address: I heard somewhere that Police/Fire/EMS workers are exempt from the Connecticut Law banning cell phone use while driving. Does this count for off-duty as well, as long as you are conducting official FD/PD/EMS Business while in your POV? I was wondering because I was stopped today by a nice enough officer who let me go no questions asked once I told him I was actually conducting department business on my cell phone while driving my POV (Honestly, I was).

I don't want to blow his cover but I will tell you, there are a few PD's in CT with some really sick looking unmarked Dodge Chargers tricked out with the latest inconspicuous lighting package and heavy tint...they caught me! :rolleyes:

In our FD for EMS calls we do call-ins. I was always curious if it was violating the law, but someone told me one day that there was an exemption written in the law. That is NY but im not too sure if that is right so don't quote me on that.

I just looked it up quickly on the NYS DMV website and well I guess its true.

3. Subdivision two of this section shall not apply to (a) the use of a mobile telephone for the sole purpose of communicating with any of the following regarding an emergency situation: an emergency response operator; a hospital, physician's office or health clinic; an ambulance company or corps; a fire department, district or company; or a police department, (b ) any of the following persons while in the performance of their official duties: a police officer or peace officer; a member of a fire department, district or company; or the operator of an authorized emergency vehicle as defined in section one hundred one of this chapter, or (c ) the use of a hands-free mobile telephone.

I actually did some research today in the Connecticut General Statutes and it stated that Peace Officers, Firefighters and EMS workers are exempt from the law. The confusion I have is that they don't specify on or off duty and in or out of official department vehicles. I am going to try to get a legal opinion from a friend who is a lawyer.

JVC

I actually did some research today in the Connecticut General Statutes and it stated that Peace Officers, Firefighters and EMS workers are exempt from the law. The confusion I have is that they don't specify on or off duty and in or out of official department vehicles. I am going to try to get a legal opinion from a friend who is a lawyer.

JVC

Legal or not, it sets a bad example. And for law enforcement, it appears to set a double standard. How can you cite drivers for talking on your cell phone, while you yourself are engaging in such a practice?

Many times, in assorted threads, it has been pointed out that many drivers fail to yield to emergency vehicles because they're distracted on cell phones. We should practice what we preach.

It is similar to seat belt use. Emergency services sets a poor standard for the public to follow in many cases.

Legal or not, it sets a bad example. And for law enforcement, it appears to set a double standard. How can you cite drivers for talking on your cell phone, while you yourself are engaging in such a practice?

Many times, in assorted threads, it has been pointed out that many drivers fail to yield to emergency vehicles because they're distracted on cell phones. We should practice what we preach.

It is similar to seat belt use. Emergency services sets a poor standard for the public to follow in many cases.

Same example we set when speeding, rolling stop signs etc! We are our own worst enemies! Such is why I do make every effort to lead by example and be a good little alter boy! But agreed, nothing looks worse then a cop on a cell, official or not, use the speaker. I use nextel on speaker then put it in the visor in the open position and works great!

I learned no lesson today. I am going to continue to use my cell phone while driving. I cannot bring myself to put one of those pod things in my ear. I, unlike many, can walk and chew gum at the same time. I know it's breaking the law when not engaged in FD business, but, so is not adhering to the speed limit and we all do that in our own cars and in our apparatus. My understanding of this law is that it is technically "distracted driving" so drinking coffee, combing hair, shaving or applying makeup are included. Another thing I won't stop doing is enjoying my coffee on the way to work...

JVC

I learned no lesson today. I am going to continue to use my cell phone while driving. I cannot bring myself to put one of those pod things in my ear. I, unlike many, can walk and chew gum at the same time. I know it's breaking the law when not engaged in FD business, but, so is not adhering to the speed limit and we all do that in our own cars and in our apparatus. My understanding of this law is that it is technically "distracted driving" so drinking coffee, combing hair, shaving or applying makeup are included. Another thing I won't stop doing is enjoying my coffee on the way to work...

JVC

Well, I believe the "motoring public", who we consistently slam for talking on their cell phones also believe they can "walk and chew gum at the same time." That's why they continue to do it, putting all of us at risk, while we are driving, responding, or operating at accident scenes. I think we all know from experience that they infact cannot multi-task. And the thought of anyone on this forum, or in emergency services in general, that we are inherently better than them, and more capable, due solely to our profession, is wrong and dangerous.

Just an opinion here, but if there is any cell phone communications to be made, shouldnt whoever is not driving at the time be the one to carry it out? I realise that if you are enroute to the hospital and your Partner is doing PT treatment its a little difficult, but for the remainder of the time someone other than the driver can be using the phone. Especially in fire trucks where you have a driver, officer, and crew.

Police....well, there realy isnt any easy way for them unless they are doubled up with someone, but isnt cell phone talk the same as using a radio mic to talk with someone? And with the radio you have a wire dangling across the steering wheel as you talk/drive. Its a confusing thing, but what are you going to do?

Well, I believe the "motoring public", who we consistently slam for talking on their cell phones also believe they can "walk and chew gum at the same time." That's why they continue to do it, putting all of us at risk, while we are driving, responding, or operating at accident scenes. I think we all know from experience that they infact cannot multi-task. And the thought of anyone on this forum, or in emergency services in general, that we are inherently better than them, and more capable, due solely to our profession, is wrong and dangerous.

I appreciate your comments, but I disagree with you. I think our profession does give us leeway to do things normal people cannot. It has nothing to do with thinking I am better than anyone. We are held to a higher standard and with that comes priviledges, Like it or not.

JVC

I appreciate your comments, but I disagree with you. I think our profession does give us leeway to do things normal people cannot. It has nothing to do with thinking I am better than anyone. We are held to a higher standard and with that comes priviledges, Like it or not.

JVC

Held to a higher standard, yes, I agree. Entitled to extra-privileges, no, I believe that attitude leads down a dangerous path. But as you say, we'll can agree to disagree.

Held to a higher standard, yes, I agree. Entitled to extra-privileges, no, I believe that attitude leads down a dangerous path. But as you say, we'll can agree to disagree.

Absolutely, we can agree to disagree, I promise I won't let it go down any dangerous paths. The law in CT is unclear. It makes no specification for on or off duty. I will continue to use discretion.

JVC

JVC

I don't feel our profession gives us leeway to do anything "normal people" cannot. We are held to a higher standard, aboslutely. But that means we should be setting a good example for the rest of the "normal people". Not doing whatever we want to do because our professions supposedly entitle us to do it.

JM15 posted the NYS VTL regarding the use of mobile phones which covers personal vehicles. Note that it says an emergency situation... that doesn't mean if you're chatting with a co-worker or a superior regarding certain work related issues (i.e. covering a shift, ordering equipment, discussing a job that occurred last night) that you're exempt.

Nothing annoys me more when I stop 10 off duty cops, fireman, or paramedics/EMT's a night for various violations. I always show courtesy, but when someone drives past a marked police car blabbing away on the phone and doesn't put it down for those 10 seconds until they get out of sight, is just plain disrespectful. It's an annoyance and a waste of the on-duty police officers time.

I agree with wheel that we need to lead by example. Absolutely there are times when you may have to be on the phone, just keep it to a minimum.

I don't feel our profession gives us leeway to do anything "normal people" cannot. We are held to a higher standard, aboslutely. But that means we should be setting a good example for the rest of the "normal people". Not doing whatever we want to do because our professions supposedly entitle us to do it.

JM15 posted the NYS VTL regarding the use of mobile phones which covers personal vehicles. Note that it says an emergency situation... that doesn't mean if you're chatting with a co-worker or a superior regarding certain work related issues (i.e. covering a shift, ordering equipment, discussing a job that occurred last night) that you're exempt.

Nothing annoys me more when I stop 10 off duty cops, fireman, or paramedics/EMT's a night for various violations. I always show courtesy, but when someone drives past a marked police car blabbing away on the phone and doesn't put it down for those 10 seconds until they get out of sight, is just plain disrespectful. It's an annoyance and a waste of the on-duty police officers time.

JJB we must share part of a brain. I feel the same way. At least put it down for a sec. Even if I see you, I will most likely shake my head which usually gets a smile from the driver. On the other hand if I pull you over for talking on your cell and you tell me you weren't talking I ask to see your phone and see when your last call was. Same as if you said you were a DR on offical business. Doing your Transcpripts of your surgery does not count. Do it when you get home.