Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geppetto

FDNY Studying "Blow-Torch" effect/Wind Driven structure fires

10 posts in this topic

Interesting piece. Especially the part about putting fans (ppv type) at the foot of the stairway.

Inicdentally - PPV was quite popular upstate about 10 years ago. Yet, I don't see them in use in (Northern) Westchester much.

I saw this on WNBC News at 5PM. They interviewed Chief Tracy (from this year's Lt. Andy Fredericks Seminar). He pretty much stated what was mentioned in the NY Times article. For life safety, and to improve our operations, we may want to consider using this tool.

Edited by SteveOFD

Another great example of a proactive department using their resources wisely

Would love to see to final results.

There was also a recent article in WNYF about some of the research Chief Tracy has done. Interesting ideas. It will be interesting to see what comes of it down the road.

I remember going to FDNY FF Bopp's funeral. (Bohan, Bopp and Cavalieri LODD same alarm) I believe WPFD's LODD in the 90's had similar circumstances.

I believe WPFD's LODD in the 90's had similar circumstances.

Warren Ogburn (sp?) was his name if I recall correctly.

Great article! The New York Post also has a long article about this as well.

NEW ROCHELLE HAD MEMBERS ON GOVERNORS ISLAND TO OBSERVE THE HIGH RISE WIND BLOWN FIRE TESTS.

WIND IS THE BIGGEST WEATHER SITUATION THAT FACES FIREFIGHTERS AND THIS FACTOR IS AMPLIFIED IN HIGH RISE STRUCTURES,WHERE WIND CONDITIONS DIFFER GREATLY FROM STREET LEVELS TO UPPER FLOORS.

THE HIGH RISES IN NEW ROCHELLE ARE OF CONCERN, DUE TO WINDS COMING OFF THE WIDE OPEN SPANSE OF THE LONG ISLAND SOUND AND DIRECTLY INTO THE BUILDINGS.

BLOW TORCH CONDITIONS WILL EXIST IF WINDOWS FAIL IN THE FIRE APARTMENT AND SHOULD THE DOOR BE LEFT OPEN BY FLEEING TENANTS CREATING THE SAME CONDITIONS IN THE HALL AND INTO THE STAIRWELL.

The FDNY site has an article and pictures of the tests.