Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efd184

Live fire training with no PPE?

13 posts in this topic

This is a must see!

why did this even happen?

Edited by efd184

I believe this may have been discussed on here already, I know it was on firehouse.com forums and the department took a beating for the blatant stupidity and lack of NFPA 1403. We all make lapses in judgement from time to time and things happen, but live fire training is a time where you can slow it all down and make it right from the git go. There was an announcment or article posted that I believe OSHA was looking into what happened based on the video.

THAT IS BRAZEN AND OUTRAGEOUS!!!, THIS ONE REASON WHY WE DIE IN TRAINING OR GET HURT!!! THAT ROOM IS ALMOST ABOUT TO HAVE AN "LEAN FLASHOVER" THAT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS

ALS, This was not the video but there was one from northwestern CT that was really discussed on here, similar instance. But anyway this is another example of blatant stupidity and God forbid something went wrong.........well I'll leave it at that.

I will echo the stance that this was completely foolish and dangerous. What I find interesting is that one of the main reasons people give for training without complete PPE is comfort. In this case I would bet it would have been a lot more comfortable inside in gear than in that T-Shirt, especially in that tolerable 120 degrees. Nothing that they were doing could not have been done in full PPE with SCBA, so there is really no excuse for it.

Ya' just can't fix stupid! I laughed out loud when they were discussing that the smoke can damage your lungs while in the room and breathing it all in. What idiots! Good thing they were wearing thier baseball hats......

Great line at 1:12 into it, "this is the stuff that'l kill ya"......

If the guys we can see are not wearing PPE, what do you want to bet the cameraman wasn't either? That of course is assuming the camerman was even a firefighter.

Better yet on top of the lack of PPE did anybody catch the "INSTRUCTORS" definition of fire??? Ha Ha :lol:

Edited by FFD941

Great line at 1:12 into it, "this is the stuff that'l kill ya"......

Exactly what I was thinking! Hes there trying to teach this other guy, and mentioning that the smoke will kill ya, and the camera man is gasping for air! Did everyone hear his breathing?

I guess some of us will just never learn, even after all of the injuries and deaths attributed to Live Fire training.

Sorry that's what I get for not watching first. Some people just don't get it. While they view it as a controlled environment and that they can get out quickly...anything can happen. Live fire is live fire no matter what environment you conduct it in and NFPA 1403 needs to be followed. I was trying to get a good view of what they were burning and it looked like possibly some type of seat cushion, foam rubber is one of the worst things you can burn being it doesn't react generally the same way every time which using any fuel with an unknown burning characteristic is prohibited by NFPA 1403. It was the use of a mattress with foam rubber in it that caused the fire in Lairdsville to grow out of control rapidly leading to the death of Brad Golden.

Great job guys...I guess Jeff Foxworthy could add this to his "you're a redneck" routine.