Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mstrang1

Ardsley Firehouse

18 posts in this topic

Ardsley has been in the planning stages for a new firehouse at the same location since before I joined the fire dept in 96. There were recent problems with the Architect, but a new one has been hired, and supposedly construction can be started in spring. We'll see.

I'll believe it when I see it done. This process has been ongoing since 1994.

Hopefully, it won't be nearly as ugly, out of place, and impractical as Village Hall/ PD Heaqurters, which was built in 1996. The Village and the PD then moved out of the Municipal Building, which now houses only the FD......what a skell move by them. They got what they wanted, out of the detiororating building described below and left the FD to continue to be toyed with by the incompetence and could-care-less about the FD Village Board.

Sure, the village has financed beautiful and fully loaded apparatus. But they have continued to delay and strip down a much needed new firehouse to the point where it's probaly going to be just some bays with a couple rooms, not the modern Fire-Rescue headqurters it should be. Ardsley has shown gross negligence and disregard for its firefighters safety and well being by allowing the current house to remain in operation as long as it has. I LOVE the current firehouse, its filled with stories history and legacy, but sometimes its not practical to keep a building alive for those reasons solely.

For those that do not know, Ardsley FD is operating out of a 110 plus year old former converted schoolhouse. The apparatus barely fits in the bay, in fact all the appartus with the exception of Old Betsy have had to be custom manufactured to fit in the house, and all have recieved some sort of damage due to the houses size. There is no exhaust system. No decontamination facilities. No Cascade system. The gear and gear up areas are directly in the path of moving appartus. There are no excercise facilities. There is a steep steep staircase to the second level. Foundation is crumbling. No safe place to park and get into the building during a call, especially in the winter. No facilities to top off the booster tank. No shower facilities. Painted=slippery floors. Poor lighting. crumbling exterior and interior. Bat and rat infestation. contaminated soil. asbestos. Should I go on???

All the money they spent on architects, consultants, etc they could have paved the new firehouse with gold.

Ardsley Village Board. Destroying and Yuppy-izing Ardsley. No respect for the true and original residents of the village. Their motto is "Dont make over $100,000 a year?? Then get out!! " :sad:

we had a village board meeting tointe and they are discussing that we will be able to start the buliding process in april of 2005 and should be done by summer of 2006. also we have an archatech now and he is getting the okay for a job manger. also this job manager will be from mt. kisco clagery construction company which is the same as the one from rye brook. at this time we still have not got the okay from all the village board trustees one board member is not going through with this and i would also like to say that what x635 has said is correct in everything and that we need this new fire house bad

the first part of the process for our fire house is done and they are moving on. they got the person who will be the contrsuction manger to vote on next and they have already set a date for the tearing down which will be in april

Where will the rigs be located while construction is ongoing?

Congrats on finally winning approval, you guys definatly need it.

Congrats! as a former member of the Ardsley Fire Department I know how much you guys NEED it and deserve this. Good Luck!!!

Good Luck guys, I hope you choose a Architect and a Builder wisely, like people that have been involved with designing and building Firehouses before. Dont want to see you get screwed like we did......

Listen lake carmel's new firehouse is like a taj compared to some, take CFFD, garbage, and no plans for that yet1

our architect i think is the same one as the rye brook fire house. also i am not 100% sure on where the trucks r goin to be going i have been at college for a long time and when i got home i found all of this out but once we know where the trucks r going to be put i will let u all know

I've been in that fire house with x635, i dont know what ur talking about that firehouse seems like it could last at least another 100,....

...hours that is.

Nice for history bad for business

thanks for telling me somethin i didn't already know j/k :D:D

i believe the rigs will be down at the abandoned westchester garage on 9A the village wants this property and i believe plan on taking it over as a parking lot once we are out.

I'll believe the new firehouse is being started when I see it for myself......they've been saying "in the Spring" since 1996. Hopefully the department won't comprimise what they want and need to the villages ignorant trustees demands for the cheapest possible firehouse. No, I don't mean inexpensive, I mean they want it cheap and as no-frills as possible....if they had it their way, it would be one of those pre-fab metal structures thats jusst a garage, maybe even a canvas tent.

I'll be sure to get tons of photos of the demolition and construction though, as it will be quite a historic time for the village, plus it's going to be interesting to see the innards of the old Firehouse.

update on the house the process is going along. talked to the chief today and he said the trucks will likey be going down to the westchester garage or maybe to ashford ave park. the house is hopefully goin to start during the summer and take up to 14-15 months to do

Any progress reports for the firehouse? Is construction definatly starting this summer?

who knows now they don't know where the rigs r goin to go now so who knows when it will start or end looked good for a little while but now nothin knew