Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LCFD968

Peekskill Fire 12/7 Additional Info And Discussion

45 posts in this topic

were caravel is and the Lincoln mercury dealer ship is i think 1713 is butcher boys

there has been a lot of re-locations. sorry to many to keep up with.

Further info...

Units on scene: (other than Peekskill FD units)

Buchanan Utility-12 & Cars 2551, 53 & 56

Mohegan L35, E255 (FAST) & used for 5'' hose

Montrose TL8 & Cars 2271 & 2273

Verplanck E128

Croton E119 for FAST assignment

Ossining L41 (originally re-located to L45's quarters)

Continental Village E230 (originally re-located to E134 quarters)

Units re-located and/or on stand-by:

Yorktown E275 re-located to E134's quarters.

Verplanck TL46 re-located to TL45's quarters.

Montrose E121 on s/b in their quarters.

Croton TL44 on s/b at Montrose' quarters.

0122hrs-Yorktown requested for their Tanker to the scene, as well as (1) Engine from Somers (E181) to the scene (source) & (1) Engine from Briarcliff to re-locate to the City.

0127hrs-Tanker-14 10-17.

0134hrs-Putnam Valley Tanker responding.

0144hrs-Somers E181, Car 2442 10-17 to the scene, Car 2443 10-19.

0146hrs-Putnam Valley Tanker 10-19.

0201hrs-E181, Car 2442 10-19. E181 to lay in 5'' & 3".

Westchester County DES units on scene: County Car-2, Car-17 (M/A Coordinator).

Salvation Army & American Red-Cross were also requested.

Con-Edison, Peekskill EMS & Peekskill PD also operating.

i thought i heard two tankers from putnam getting dispatched over 40 control as well.

still involved at 03:00, units operating peekskill, mohegan, montrose, buchanan, mahopac, mahopac falls, yorktown, putnam valley, verplanck, continental village, (multi-tanker relay), --- car dealership, butcher shop, carvel ice cream store.

I got to the scene at about 11:25. Heavy smoke eminating from the edges of the roof in the center of the structure (Butcher Boys and the Carribean Rest). TL45, E134, E133 and others already on scene and operating. Mohegan arrives shortly thereafter. E134 making entry into Butcher Boys with circular saw (metal roll up door), heavy smoke in building but flames not yet visible. Units going into rear to investigate. On arrival out back there was heavy smoke comming from the roof with flames shooting out soon thereafter. Unable to make untry into building because of heavy secured metal doors. Shortly thereafter heavy fire erupts from ceiling and all units are pulled out. About 1/2 hour into operation fire now ripping through the roof. TL45 is joined by L35 from Mohegan and various hand lines in an effort to surround and drown. Fire slowly spreading via the roof and walls into the adjacent stores. Carvel, Pizzaria and Laundrymat eventually engulfed as additional units are called into scene to assist. The fire was slow to spread into the car dealership but it eventually became overcome by flames as well. About 1 hour into the operations, the front window to the car dealership flashed over and send various firefighters scrambling for safety. E134 which was right in front of the dealership was singed but operational (in fact it probably shielded a few people from injury). At this time PD clearing all people not in turnout gear to safe distance. EMS putting additional on standby. 35-1 on scene and placing self into service as 35M2. (35M1 on scene but not committed). The buildings behind the fire structure on Park street were evacuated - Red Cross called in for assistance - initally a nearby church was used for shelter. Most families found shelter with friends and relatives - Red Cross only needed in the end for one person if I heard correctly.

Tanker shuttle set up from behind the Beach Shopping Center ifo Columbian Hose's Quarters (E132).

Putnam County Car 2- Water Supply Officer at scene

Somers Car 2442- Water Source Officer

Somers Engine 181- water source pumper

Tankers-

Yorktown Tanker 14

Putnam Valley 24-4-2

Mahopac Falls 19-4-1

Mahopac 18-4-1

Had 1-5" Line and 2-3" lines stretched out to Dayton Lane to supply Tankers. Did approx 20-25 fills.

Aerial operations included TL45 on the A/D corner, L35 on the D side, Montrose Ladder on the C Side across the stream from the structure in neighboring parking lot and Ossining on the A/B corner. Water was a problem at one point. Tanker shuttle was setup with 181 as the source at Beach Shopping Center (E132? HQ). Yorktown, Mahopac Falls, Putnam Valley all running water to two pools setup at the top of the hill. The local hydrants were literally sucked dry with at least 3 5" lines going just on main street. I believe there were lines setup as far away as Route 202 for supply. The biggest worry we had was the service department and the cars in the showroom. After the initial flashover, several explosions (most assumed gas tanks) were heard. The fire seemed mostly fueled by the ceiling but kicked up when it hit the service department. Access to the C side was limited with Montrose Ladder hitting from the adjacent parking lot across the stream. I was told Continental Village has setup a floating pump in the stream out back for additional water. The roof of the building was a partial overhang in the front and as the fire weakened it, it began to fall in sections. This seemed to make attacking the front difficult, especially in the case of the dealership. Tanker shuttle was shut down probably around 0400-0430, with several other M/A departments wrapping up. The majority of the fire was knocked down with the rear being the major exception. The fire seemed to continue to flare up in the area of a large A/C unit, but Montrose was right on top of that with thier TL drowning it with 2 master streams.

The building by the way is a complete loss. At least 8-10 cars totally destroyed with many more in the parking lot suffering from heat/tool damage. ICe Cream from carvel was at one point reportedly flowing out of the back door. Flooding is probably going to be an issue for the Beverage place next door - his roll up door had about a foot of water pooled in front of it when I last saw it. I'm told that "back in the day" it was originally a C-Town but was converted to a strip mall when C-Town moved out.

Let me just say that this was a huge fire which unfortunatly raged out of control for quite some time. It was a difficult attack because of the nature of the fire and the setup of the building. All departments did an AWESOME job and despite the dangerous nature of the involved structure, there were NO reported injures. A big thank you to ALL The departments that came out to battle this beast. It's the biggest I've seen in Peekskill in quite some time. (Last one being the old library). And to the unsung heros at the Salvation Army, thank you for all the soup! If you ever have a large fire and need hot/cold refreshments and snack for the troops, call them out! John Jackson (Car 2) dispatched them shortly after his arrival and they put our coffee stand to shame. They are more than willing to come out, anytime, anywhere. Keep 'em in mind.

With that, I need a nap. (Pictures to follow).

My helmet is off to ALL that responded. Unfortunately I have been here at work all night. Once again good job. 119 FAST TEAM its great being part of your house.

As a Peekskill Firefighter I must say to everyone who responded THANK YOU!

Help was a call away when we needed it.

13 Departments, 175 Firefighters

Now I must sleep! :roll:

News12's coverage was less than informative, at least on thier website: http://www.news12.com/WC/topstories/article?id=125390

(12/07/04) PEEKSKILL - Firefighters in Peekskill are cleaning up after a fire destroyed seven stores in a strip mall along Main Street. The fire began just after 11:30 p.m. Monday when all the stores were closed.

The blaze destroyed a beauty salon, pizzeria, butcher shop, laudromat, restaurant, ice cream shop and car dealer. The fire spread to a nearby parking lot for used cars where the heat caused several tires to burst loudly.

Officials say there were no injuries and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

The fire spread to a nearby parking lot for used cars where the heat caused several tires to burst loudly.

Do these guys make this stuff up as they go along? Geez....they were NEW cars, they were IN the dealership, and they were GAS TANKS.

For those of you who need thier picture fix ASAP. :D

DSC00094.sized.jpg

DSC00112.sized.jpg

DSC00114.sized.jpg

DSC00125.sized.jpg

DSC00128.sized.jpg

DSC00141.sized.jpg

DSC00159.sized.jpg

Additional pictures available upon request.

Nice shots!!! Wow news 12's coverage was a let down, like usual. But the coverage from news 7 was good seemed to cover the whole incident. =D>

news 12 has a problem getting anything right

At least they got video...and while it was still burning. Again, you have to watch News 12 with the TV on mute.

How was this Fire reported ? Smoke from Bldg? ? just asking

Any spinklers?

Hard work for all those responded !! Seems to be difficult fire.

Be safe.

From NBC News :

Fire In Peekskill Strip Mall Destroys 7 Businesses

POSTED: 8:31 am EST December 7, 2004

UPDATED: 2:04 pm EST December 7, 2004

PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- An overnight fire destroyed seven businesses in a strip mall in Peekskill, leaving dozens of employees jobless for the holiday season. There were no injuries.

The fire erupted at 10:30 p.m. Monday after all the stores had closed. Firefighters were still dumping water on the smoldering ruins at dawn, and Route 6, also known as Main Street where it runs through downtown Peekskill, was closed in the area until 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Mayor John Testa said the fire apparently started in a corner of the L-shaped shopping center, near a butcher shop and Lincoln-Mercury auto dealership, and spread into a beauty salon, pizzeria, coin-operated laundry, restaurant and ice cream shop. 

"It's a major setback in terms of the economy of the city," the mayor said. "But mostly, at this time of year especially, it's tough on the owners and managers and employees and their families. We're just thankful no one was hurt, including the firefighters."

Testa said fire departments from 13 communities sent 175 firefighters to the blaze. The cause had not been determined.

The center was owned by one man, the mayor said, "and he'll have to decide whether to rebuild but you know it'll take a while." The city plans to work with the Small Business Administration and other agencies to seek low-interest loans to spur the recovery.

Testa said some new businesses were opening at the nearby Beach Shopping Center and he hoped some of the burned-out employees could find jobs there.

i was talking to a couple P.O's who were on patrol and saw it go up i guess. they said a neighbor reported smoke coming from the roof with no flames showing.

As a non active member engine 132 I am proud of the work done by all firemen from all departments, my prayers are with all the people that have now lost their job due to this fire. =D> [-o<

As Firepete said, it got reported as heavy smoke from a structure...but dispatched as a possible structure fire

News12 was there early on, before the fire really got going and spread to the adjacent stores. Channel 7 was actually there TWICE. Once they had a lone cameraman wandering around at the start of things, then later on they sent the on scene reporter who got shots as things started to wind down around 5am. Channel 2 and Channel 11 were there as well, but I didn't find reports from them online earlier.

:DTHANKS TO ALL AND A GREAT JOB.%7Boption%7D

2309 HRS, SMOKE CONDITION was called in by a passer-by and several 911 calls from local neighbors. Dispatched as "Possible Structure Fire"

2311 HRS, PD on scene, FD was responding, confirmed Fire visible in the rear of what was Butcher Boys.

Interior attack was made thru Butcher Boys however delayed due to metal security gates.

Fire conditions worsened and FF's were pulled out for safety.

Again, THANK YOU to ALL our surrounding FD's and EMS who helped out!

* Peekskill VAC for refreshments!!!!! :D

* Peekskill VAC for refreshments!!!!!

Milk and Oeros never tasted so good huh? :D