Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

FDMV Station#4

8 posts in this topic

It looks like another firehouse in MV is under the watchful eye. A sign posted in the apparatus area states that "nobody is permitted in the basement area." The floor is the question this time, engineers according to one union official have been there to see if the concrete slabs are safe or not. 2 engines are stationed there. hopefully the floors will not collapse! only skinny guys are asssigned there now!

Edited by hudson144

Just another case of guys on the job being put in danger. If it's not safe to be below the apparatus floor in the basement, then it's not safe to be on the apparatus floor either. If it fails, people will be crushed between or below the apparatus.

If my memory is correct it was not too long ago they redid the apparatus floor. The rigs were next door in the chair place. I remember for years the floor was held up with 4x4's. That firehouse dates back to the early 1900's and no I wasn't around then. The floor was an issue way back because it was never s

designed to hold the old Macks that were there in the 70's much less todays rigs altough Ladder 2 was there way back and it was a open cab seagrave.

After they did the floor they rehabed the whole building didn't they?

Just another case of guys on the job being put in danger. If it's not safe to be below the apparatus floor in the basement, then it's not safe to be on the apparatus floor either. If it fails, people will be crushed between or below the apparatus.

Lets see, almost 100 yr old building that has not been maintained by the city ..... accident waiting to happen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a kid I can remember going there to see, a friends dad who was on the job when ladder 2 was housed there, and I understand renovations took place several yrs ago to shore the floor up...... Does maybe the words time for a complete review of all stations and a capital program (including generators, had to throw that in).....

I beleave they did a face lift to the place around 85 86 and also did the 2nd floor over. Not to sure about the floor. When ladder 2 came back from a refurb it was parked at sta 4 for a short time before it went in service at sta 1.

CP

Lets see, almost 100 yr old building that has not been maintained by the city ..... accident waiting to happen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a kid I can remember going there to see, a friends dad who was on the job when ladder 2 was housed there, and I understand renovations took place several yrs ago to shore the floor up...... Does maybe the words time for a complete review of all stations and a capital program (including generators, had to throw that in).....

You're right Bob and Allan.

When Engine 1 (remember them ?) and Truck 2 were stationed there back in the '50's, the floor was NG and the apparatus couldn't park inside.

I have a vague recollection that the rigs were parked outside during the day and parked in the old bus garage at night. I don't know where the paid staff sl;ept.

Some things never change.

Just goes to show how the fire service in most of the country is treated! Can you say like a stepchild?