Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tdc202

Base Scanner: Ideas To Improve Reception?

16 posts in this topic

Hi all . I have a scanner in my house that does not pick dispatches all that great. I am looking for ideas to help improve the reception. I also have thought about putting a small antenna on the roof or outside to see if that helps. Just looking for what some people are using and what might work.

Thanks

For a permanent outdoor antenna, you will not go wrong with this Discone Antenna from RadioShack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2103160

For an indoor/handheld portable scanner there is this one Diamond RH77CA:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/2368.html

For a base radio you might need a right-angle adapter if it's a back connection.

I have both of these antennas, and am very pleased.

Hi all . I have a scanner in my house that does not pick dispatches all that great. I am looking for ideas to help improve the reception. I also have thought about putting a small antenna on the roof or outside to see if that helps. Just looking for what some people are using and what might work.

Thanks

You need to be a bit more specific. Do you live in a valley, or on top of a hill? House of apartment? What kind of scanner do you have now? What kind of antenna do you have now? What frequencies are you having trouble receiving?

I had the same problem until I slapped a nice discone on the top of my apt. building 80 feet high, and now I hear too much. :rolleyes:

I had the same problem until I slapped a nice discone on the top of my apt. building 80 feet high, and now I hear too much. :rolleyes:

George, Whats the farthest in (miles) you receive? PA?

Tim

Okay I live on the side of a hill, Bearcat programmable stock antennnaTried diffrent locations in the house to no avail.

Hope this helps

Well the exposure side of the hill is going to largely determine what you will receive. With VHF/UHF, elevation is everything so the higher the antenna is, the better, and also being inside anything will shield the antenna from signals, but it varies with the house and where it is. Basically, the more the antenna can "see" the better with VHF/UHF/800. HF shouldn't be too affected, but a higher quality antenna will help. This will also help VHF/UHF/800 signals. I have a ham radio with a base station antenna in the attic, and I can hear practically everything. My radio in my room, with just a simple wire antenna can pick up 94.1 WYSP from Philadelphia, over 140 miles away. My scanner in my kitchen (an old bearcat with some generic radioshack antenna) can pick up FDNY all the way from Staten Island, more than 60 miles away. This is because I live on a hill 800+ feet high with clear approaches from the north, west, and south.

Edited by Slayer61

This is because I live on a hill 800+ feet high with clear approaches from the north, west, and south.

That's just not right, you have an advantage!

I think Slayer should start an online scanner feed for us!!! :P

Just teasin'!

Tim, I'm not too sure how far in miles, but it's a good thing my scanner has a PL/DPL setting because if not, I would be hearing way too much. I'd imagine I can hit PA with no problem. I'm going to check it out. I can hit Ulster and Columbia counties with no problem.

Tim, I'm not too sure how far in miles, but it's a good thing my scanner has a PL/DPL setting because if not, I would be hearing way too much. I'd imagine I can hit PA with no problem. I'm going to check it out. I can hit Ulster and Columbia counties with no problem.

Thanks George just wondering , quess the Low Band with no PL (CSQ) would be a lot to hear to the west of the hudson river. :rolleyes:

I think Slayer should start an online scanner feed for us!!! :P

Just teasin'!

Haha, that isn't a bad idea.

Can't you just splice into one of those nice fancy antennas on top of that mountain and then you'll hear EVERYTHING !. However in all seriousness that area has been plaqued with Rx & Tx problems. I would presume that if you ran a decent antenna outside maybe strapped it to your chimney and properly grounded it you'd have better reception.

"Can't you just splice into one of those nice fancy antennas on top of that mountain and then you'll hear EVERYTHING "

CPFD The tree huggers might have a problem with that. Sounds like your volunteering to help? :lol:

You know if I help somehow we'll be in trouble............. it's destiny when I get mixed up with you. LOL :rolleyes: