Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Tappan Zee Bridge Jumpers

19 posts in this topic

Tappan Zee Bridge Jumpers

Is it just me or does it seem like the jumpers off the Tappan Zee Bridge are on the rise?

I saw on News12 just now that on Thursday April 3

TWO Yes TWO! people jumped off the Tappan Zee Bridge in two

separate incidents just hours apart.

Last weekend another.... Couple weeks before that another.

I guess the Suicide Signs and Emergency Call Boxes did a lot of good!

Why doesn't someone (i.e. State DOT and or Politicians) step up and realize...

HEY, WE HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM!!!!!!

This is not something a SIGN or CALL BOX is going to fix.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

PUT UP A 10-12 FOOT HIGH FENCE!!!!!!!

Having a fence may not always STOP a Suicide from happening but it will SLOW DOWN a jumper

or STOP and make them think twice "Do I really wanna do this"

As it is now on the Tappan Zee and Bear Mountain Bridges you can stop your car,

get out, walk to the edge, and JUMP!

CRAZY!!! :angry:

If it saves ONE life it would be worth it.

ANYONE WITH ME ON THIS???

Just my TWO cents!

I'm with ya Rob, but, I think the problem is going to get worse, with foreclosures on the rise, cost of living skyrocketing. I'm afraid we're gonna start seeing more and more people trying to end it all one way or another. It's a sad state of affairs we're in, and I wish there was an easy fix, but I can't think of any.

I do remember one case when I man jumped off the bridge to save his life because he was on fire after the car he was in broke down and was rear ended by a semi. From what I remember, the man was alive at the time he was rescued. I do not know if he later succumbed to his injuries.

I think there was a comment on LoHud like Rob said about the Suicide call boxes. But unfortunately, people that have their minds set on killing themselves, then they unfortunately are going to go through with it. They do need to put a fence or something on the bridge to prevent people from jumping to kill themselves.

I agree with the fence idea. The only problem I see is that if someone is intent on killing themselves, and go to the bridge to jump. Now there is a 12 foot fence on it, so they can't. They might wander out into traffic to get the job done. Now this puts other motorists at risk. Unfortunately there is no easy or quick solution to this problem, and if one issue is addressed, several others will pop up.

I believe the trucker who jumped was at a lower portion of the span. Leave the bridge alone. I enjoy the view without a 12' fence that will not save lives. It will just stop people from using that bridge.

And when the fence fails to work, what then? It seems to me that there already is an impedment to jumping on the Tappan Zee Bridge, the five foot wall on each side. Someone has to consciously step up to get to the bridge's edge. Outside of staffing the bridge with suicide counselors, I don't see any other viable remedy that would in any way assist other than the pre-existing measures in place.

Skip the fence and keep the view..

How about installing the safety netting used when they maintain the bridge?? If they jump, they wont go far, but like it was mentioned if the person is determined to 'end it all' they will find a way..

I was told in a psycology class that a if a suicidal person has made the determination that thier life means nothing, they dont care who else they take with them to get the job done..

Skip the fence and keep the view..

I agree. If someone is gonna jump, they're gonna jump, irregardless if there's a fence there or not. I highly doubt someone is going to change their mind during the 12 feet they have to climb... if you ask me, you're just adding 12 more feet to their fall and helping them get the job done. Even if it slows down a jumper, now you may have a civilian who's passing by risking his/her life to pull someone down off a fence so they don't kill themselves? Now instead of one dead person, you may end up with two if the suicidal person takes someone innocent with them, whether intentional or not.

People jumping off the bridge becomes such a big media story, that it may entice suicidal people to use it as a means of ending their life.

The DOT can hardly get a pot hole fixed on the Z can you imagine how long it will take to install a fence of some sorts. Im in agreement with the "if they're gonna jump, they're gonna jump". The jumpers can be a lil more considerate though and walk onto the bridge, this way their cars arent left behind holding up traffic.

It's found OT for me. Got the call yesterday that the first person went off. Then I got another call that the second person went off. Then got the call that both were recovered.

Like JJB stated. If they want to kill themselves they will find any means necessary. I don't think a fence will do it. Maybe they should make a pull off so that it doesn't jam up traffic on the bridge.

Yeah Im with you, a 12 foot fence around every border in the US! Oh wait, wrong topic sorry

Maybe they should make a pull off so that it doesn't jam up traffic on the bridge.

THATS FUNNY!

They should also broadcast any "negotiations" going on between police and a jumper. This way it gives you something to listen to while youre stuck in traffic.

Like everyone is saying, if someone is intent on ending thier life, they will find a way, its a good point about the nets though, that may take away from the aesthetics of the bridge though. Someone jumping out into traffic is something that is not only dangerous, it really can mentally mess up the person who hit the suicidal person. So, 2 lives are messed up. The Connecticut DOT is finally putting a slow-down ramp at the end of the route 7 connector in place of a 20' high rock wall. It seems that over the past few years, many folks have used that wall, and the long straight road before it, to end their lives. I know for a fact how hard those calls were for the responders that were first to arrive. We have to keep in mind the mental hardship dealing with responses to suicide calls causes to our people, and if they can be reduced, all the better - for everyone.

Joe

Like everyone is saying, if someone is intent on ending thier life, they will find a way, its a good point about the nets though, that may take away from the aesthetics of the bridge though. Someone jumping out into traffic is something that is not only dangerous, it really can mentally mess up the person who hit the suicidal person. So, 2 lives are messed up. The Connecticut DOT is finally putting a slow-down ramp at the end of the route 7 connector in place of a 20' high rock wall. It seems that over the past few years, many folks have used that wall, and the long straight road before it, to end their lives. I know for a fact how hard those calls were for the responders that were first to arrive. We have to keep in mind the mental hardship dealing with responses to suicide calls causes to our people, and if they can be reduced, all the better - for everyone.

Joe

Ok, the fence is a good idea, but I can't see it happening. First of all, these people need help. Either it goes unnoticed by family, friends or the rising cost of getting professional help. Sure a lot of the time, the person will resist getting help or stop the medication they received. Insurance coverage is a major item too. If you noitce, many therapists do not accept insurance for their services and some go on a sliding scale.

With the high rate of unemployment, money problems and numerous other factors that may contribute to someone taking their lives, wouldn't it be nice to have a country that has a better healthcare system? I think it takes more than a "fence" to solve this problem, Let's get to the root of the problem. Look at the recent articles for allergy medicine and the effects. Just to get Advil/cold/sinus, you have to go to the pharmacy and show your driver's license and sign a paper.

Bottom line don't "fence us in." Get us the help that is needed in this society!

I had a good friend of mine take his own life at a very young age, and I have gone on ems calls when a soul has taken their own life. there's no stopping a person once their mind is made up. The Tappan Zee Bridge seems to be the magnet for victims. It's hard to understand what goes through their mind befor they jump and when there in the car. Did he/she lose a job, divorce, custody of a child. The question we should be asking is that do any of the victims who have jumped off the Bridge make any phone calls prior? There is no easy answer. I think more medical training and learnig signs of a person who might be crying out for help might slow the rate down. I hope a pray knowbody ever has to witness what I have in my life.

all i know its very sad that these people the jumpers cant get the help they need soooooo much ??.

plus i was on fireboat 5 tfd for the first victim . on the scene at the dock for second one . :(

I have a better idea. The State of NY should instal suicide boxes on the bridge. Put a quarter in the slot, enter the box. Once in the box, it'll ask you if you really want to kill yourself (yes/no buttons). Once the person presses the yes button, the machine does the rest. Then a lil light can come on in the office on the bridge letting them know there's a clean up in isle 5. This way, traffic isn't jammed up and people can go on their merry way. Now we don't have to worry about the news glorifiying it.

In the town I work in, we've had several people threaten suicide ( the frequent fliers). They didn't always succeed on the first try but always found a way to get the job done. Theses people were in & out of treatment facilities. If your mind is made up to end your life, there's nothing anyone can do to stop you. <_<

Sorry but I have to disagree on this one. How about going back to not reporting them pubicly like they use to. Is it the volume has increased? Or the coverage has increased? Prior to the News 12 misinformation channel you wouldn't hear about it at all or in the paper the next day. They still do this fairly decently when someone ops to jump in front of a train, they do not report it or publish it. Which brings me to my next point...

If they don't jump off the bridge then they will find another way that is acceptable to them. Other bridges? Train? Drug induced? Gun? Hemorrhage? So where do you stop then? When they opt for trains what then? 2.5 mph pull in to the station speed? Slow down Amtrak? The smart ones know to hop in front of them at certain stations because they aren't slowing down to stop.

Some are complaining that the higher walls on the replacement sections of the TZB obscure the open view it once had. After all when on the bridge in traffic I'd like something to see.

Circumstance shouldn't lead to compulsive reaction. 2 people jumping on same day is a circumstance...unless they were part of a cult and jumped thinking a spaceship was going to catch them mid air. They had problems, they made a decision and acted on it. Why they did is the root cause not the fact they could just jump.