Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ldrco195

Reedy Creek FD: AKA Disney World FD

19 posts in this topic

http://www.mcjackie.com/theCreek.html wow !!!

The Department

The Reedy Creek Fire Department provides fire and emergency medical services to all of Walt Disney World. Disney World is about the same size as San Francisco or twice the size of Manhattan Island in land area and includes the following:

Four theme parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios, and Animal Kingdom)

Three water parks (River Country, Typhoon Lagoon, and Blizzard Beach)

Downtown Disney (West Side, Pleasure Island, and the Village Marketplace)

Six golf courses (Lake Buena Vista, Magnolia, Palm, Eagle Pines, Osprey Ridge, and Oak Trail)

Two minature golf courses (Winter Summerland and Fantasia Gardens)

Two incorporated cities (City of Lake Buena Vista and the City of Bay Lake)

Just over 31 hotels totaling nearly 35,000 rooms

Fort Wilderness campground with 1,192 campsites and cabins

One short take-off and landing airstrip (STOLport)

Over 113 miles of roadway

Over 13 miles of monorail beam

A 189-foot-tall, steel-and-fiber-glass castle (Cinderella’s Castle)

Edited by EMTbravo

Very intresting, thanks for the great information!

Is that the department with the cool hose and hydrant fountain on the front of their house?

Is that the department with the cool hose and hydrant fountain on the front of their house?

yea it's pretty sweet

Any pictures?

I'm going this week. I will try to get a photo.

I passed it while on a bus when I was down there last month, but didn't have time to get out my camera.

Here is a link to their FireFighters Association, with photos of their appratus: http://www.reedycreek.org/

and the link to the Reedy Creek Improvement District which provides the emergency services, including requirements to work there: http://www.rcid.org/Dept_Emergency.cfm

IIRC one house looks like it was built out of a child's blocks (lego)

From the Ruddy Creek Impovement District website:

Link: http://www.rcid.org/Dept_Emergency.cfm

"The section’s response personnel are certified by the State of Florida as Firefighters, Emergency Medical Technicians and Fire Safety Inspectors, with Advanced Life Support personnel certified as Paramedics. These personnel are assigned to a 24-hour rotating shift, staffing four fire stations strategically located throughout the District to minimize response times to any location. Under the direction of command level officers, each shift is responsible for staffing four engines, a tower truck, two 4 x 4 brush trucks, a specialized squad truck, a tanker and seven Advanced Life Support ambulances. In addition, the department has a special 6 x 6 aerial ladder designed to service the monorail beam in off-road areas"

It makes it sound like all of there rigs are in service in at a given time, If that is the case that could be the reason for the low property loses there.

It makes it sound like all of there rigs are in service in at a given time, If that is the case that could be the reason for the low property loses there.

Its not the apparatus that keeps the low losses.

Reedy Creek Improvement Disrtict has the best fire & building code in North America, All strucutures, including temporary, sheds, etc. are fully sprinklers. They have a very agressive fire inspection program (including daily inspection of public assemblies...most places due it annually).

They have proven that aggressive codes and code enforcement can almost eliminate fire loss.

Its not the apparatus that keeps the low losses.

Reedy Creek Improvement Disrtict has the best fire & building code in North America, All strucutures, including temporary, sheds, etc. are fully sprinklers. They have a very agressive fire inspection program (including daily inspection of public assemblies...most places due it annually).

They have proven that aggressive codes and code enforcement can almost eliminate fire loss.

Bingo, I was looking to see if anyone had posted on the real reason for the low dollar loss and fire numbers! Proof that when you have full control of codes, construction and how people are to react you can have a fire safe area that plays host to millions. It helps when you have plenty of money and similar to any large corporate business has a lot to lose if there is a lawsuit due to injury/death. We never have issues getting code compliance from Walmart, Home Depot or any companies with a lot to lose.

Is it true that these are required on all hats and helmets?

post-4772-1207770464.jpg

post-4772-1207770488.jpg

post-4772-1207770464.jpg

post-4772-1207770488.jpg

Are these "ears" from your personnel collection????

It helps when you have plenty of money and similar to any large corporate business has a lot to lose if there is a lawsuit due to injury/death.

Also helps when you understand the economics of fire protection. Most of the property is owned by Disney which is self insured. But self insurance requires you follow loss tables and the lower the risks (due to great codes) the less $$$ needs to be set asside for insurance.

We never have issues getting code compliance from Walmart, Home Depot or any companies with a lot to lose.

I've written the same violations over and over for our home depot. It got so bad at one point we were sending them to corp. The violations are present most times when I walk in. I wish they were as good in this region as you have in yours

post-4772-1207770464.jpg

post-4772-1207770488.jpg

I thought the last time I saw someone wearing these it was a security officer for Disney who was a retired cop... :o

Also helps when you understand the economics of fire protection. Most of the property is owned by Disney which is self insured. But self insurance requires you follow loss tables and the lower the risks (due to great codes) the less $$$ needs to be set asside for insurance.

I've written the same violations over and over for our home depot. It got so bad at one point we were sending them to corp. The violations are present most times when I walk in. I wish they were as good in this region as you have in yours

Good point on self-insured, again they have deep pockets so they have to protect them, sadly there are people out their just looking to sue for anything and lawyers ready to take the case.

As for Home Depot, ours is only about 6 years old, and actually not busy at all,we don't know how they survive and Lowes is opening next month just two miles away! But they are very good about keeping up their store other than the few errant hand carts parked in front of the hydrant out front.