Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yfd910

1 post in this topic

Nepostism in the FD is fine by me. It keeps traditions alive and well, and sometimes gets us the candidate we need.

Although I know it's much harder in the cities around here, in the small towns, absolutely. It can be a good thing.

In a small department in a small town, it's more like one big family and it needs to stay that way.

A lot of men are losing perspective on what this job is.

Nepotism, even though everyone hired has to take a test and there are rules, keeps the respect for the job alive over someone who

just wants the benefits and not have to work weekdays, etc.

I'd rather have someone next to me who wants to learn the job and knows about it from his dad, grandfather, uncle, cousin or brother.

Being an EMT does not make you a better firefighter than someone who isn't and EMT. That's a ridiculous statement, even if EMS is a vital part of your departments runs.

Most Dept's around here train you to that level anyway once you get on. I know my last job did, and it didn't mean anything when I got on in Yonkers.

So this gets edited because I said I'd rather not have this edited or deleted? A whole paragraph or two because of one line???

Come on guys!!!