Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Training Equivalents

5 posts in this topic

Long story short, I got into a discussion about this and neither of us involved can come up with an answer.

Let's say you work in a system that has it's own training program and/or requirements that differs from where you volunteer. For example, if you work for FDNY and volunteer in Orange County, NY. If your volunteer department has training requirements based on NYS training for officers, how do you not allow someone who works for FDNY fill that spot? And, how do you "cover your a**" regarding paperwork? If it says something like, "In order to be Chief you need NYS Essentials" and this guy is a 10 year veteran FDNY fireman - how do you handle it?

And, since I am on the subject, WHO DECIDES ON EQUIVALENTS?? If a guy is a member of a Ladder Company in FDNY but hasn't taken, say, NYS Intro to Fire Officer as prescribed by their volly department, do you let them slide and fill the position knowing they have experience and training (better then most of the crap we get?)

And, (sorry guys) say you have a rule that only those with NYS FAST training can respond on a FAST call and you have a guy on the job in a paid department around the county, do you make them take it even though as part of their JOB they regularly train and respond as a FAST?

I AM BEGGING YOU NOT TO TURN THIS INTO A VOLUNTEER VS. PAID THING - But this is something I had a rather heated discussion about and am dying for some input.

Thanks all!

And, since I am on the subject, WHO DECIDES ON EQUIVALENTS?? If a guy is a member of a Ladder Company in FDNY but hasn't taken, say, NYS Intro to Fire Officer as prescribed by their volly department, do you let them slide and fill the position knowing they have experience and training (better then most of the crap we get?)

The AHD sets requirements. If they want to wave the requirements to allow someone to fill the spot I believe they can but a person may be experienced as a firefighter but have no experience in management and leadership which is taught in Intro to Fire Officer.

Give a call to OFPC. They are usually very helpful in determining equivalencies with their own standards.

I know FDNY and I'm willing to bet career depts have their curriculum approved to be equivalent to certain standards. In NYC a member can get documentation attesting to all the certifications they have attained.

If its OSHA required training (Hazmat, Confined Space, Trench, Bloodborne, etc.) OSHA says the employer is responsible to ensure adequate training. The employer is the dept. (does not mater if its career or VFD).

This means that one dept can except anothers training. But they must prove that the level of training meets the minimum standard. this may include testing. The most important part is documenting this.

The interesting part is that the law does not recognize any OSHA training that is taught by OFPC. If you take Hazmat Ops. and get a cert from OFPC. The law requires your agency to document the following:

objectively demonstrate competency in the following areas

1910.120(q)(6)(i)(E)

An understanding of the role of the first responder awareness individual in the employer's emergency response plan including site security and control and the U.S. Department of Transportation's Emergency Response Guidebook.

1910.120(q)(6)(ii)(B)

Know how to select and use proper personal protective equipment provided to the first responder operational level.

1910.120(q)(6)(ii)(D)

Know how to perform basic control, containment and/or confinement operations within the capabilities of the resources and personal protective equipment available with their unit.

1910.120(q)(6)(ii)(F)

An understanding of the relevant standard operating procedures and termination procedures.

OFPC can not have you demonstrate competency in local dept equipment and SOP's since they dont know what they are. The best is every member must be trained in the depts WRITTEN EMERGENCY RESPONSE PLAN.

How many depts even have this?