Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

A Really Loud Bumper

8 posts in this topic

A while back, I shot this bumper of an engine. I must say, I really like it and it really makes the apparatus stand out in traffic. Much better then traditional chrome, and I feel this adds to the safety of responding apparatus. And, it's a cost-efficient addition to safety.

post-11-1208657289.jpg

I'll stick with the chrome bumper .... before you know it, our fire appartaus is going to look like a wood chipper ( with all the warning labels )

I'll stick with the chrome bumper .... before you know it, our fire appartaus is going to look like a wood chipper ( with all the warning labels )

The FDSOA (Fire Department Safety Officers Association) has determined that the painted steel bumper is stronger in a crash and protects our members better.

If you try to lift most of the chrome ones with a heavy wrecker the back end bends up into the cab. Peirce rates their painted steel at 50,000 Ibs, FDNY's must be 80,000 Ibs on an engine.

No question, that a welded steel bumber is stronger then a chrome bumper, and if it was my choice I would have that also... but the comment was about how it looks and it ablity to add safety... plus from the looks of the picture, it looks the bumper in question is a chrome bumper, with the yellow/red tape on it...

Love the visibility these chevron stripes create. I fought for it on the back of our new engine and something like it on our tanker, but no one likes the way it looks. Hey if it makes it safer, do it! Look in the future when we replace our ambulance, chevrons will be on the back of the rig, if I get my way, same with reflective striping etc. to increase visibility.

We have to remember the rigs we purchase aren't being purchased to be "parade rigs" so let's use our heads and go for safety not looks.

We have to remember the rigs we purchase aren't being purchased to be "parade rigs" so let's use our heads and go for safety not looks.

Too many depts. buy parade rigs and not rigs to get the job done, and done safely.

Edited by DOC22

Where do you put the batteries for the cheverons? :P