Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaRock98

IA- Southington, CT- CSP Trooper Struck 5-18-08

7 posts in this topic

The incident alert says this happened to a off duty officer correct? So I have a few questions 1. Can an off duty cop really write a summons? 2. Is this considered a LODD if god forbid he dies from his injuries if he was off duty but still performing his job?

The incident alert says this happened to a off duty officer correct? So I have a few questions 1. Can an off duty cop really write a summons? 2. Is this considered a LODD if god forbid he dies from his injuries if he was off duty but still performing his job?

I see it this way. If you (generic, not specifying any single person here) were coming home from your job of being a career FF, saw a house on fire, stopped and ran in to try save someone, and God forbid, died, would that be a LODD?

I think so. I mean, if you are performing functions of your job, you still died in the Line of Duty, no??

Ok where are the CT cops? You guys work "off-duty"? Or was he still in his take home car and had a duty to act?

Edited by CAM502

Something like this came up in another thread...

From what I remember, when troopers are "off duty" in CT they roll as "soft cars." Troopers are always troopers in CT... they take their RMP home with them so it's not like you're pulling people over in your grocery getter.

Troopers are probably considered on-duty when they're operating their issued patrol vehicles (as someone pointed out they're assigned vehicles so commuting to and from work they're still "on duty").

If the trooper saw a violation and took action he's automatically going to be "on-duty".

And, yes, if you do something to attract the attention of an "off-duty" trooper, he's probably going to be "on-duty" long enough to introduce himself and give you his autograph.

Something like this came up in another thread...

From what I remember, when troopers are "off duty" in CT they roll as "soft cars." Troopers are always troopers in CT... they take their RMP home with them so it's not like you're pulling people over in your grocery getter.

All CT state troopers take their cars home with them or is it only the higher ups? With that being said I guess they are technically on duty so if God forbid the trooper did die it would be considered a LODD correct? I do remember this coming up in another thread and I did a search but got nothing. Sorry for the duplication of questions but I can't remember the answers.

No, it's not just the Brass. I know a kid who is a Trooper in Connecticut, and he does take his RMP home with him.