Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Saws, Blades, Etc.

5 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of ordering blades for our saws.

What kind of blades would you put on your K12 type saws on Engines, Trucks, Rescues?

What types of chains would you put on your chain saws?

In an ideal world, it would be nice to have one saw with each type of blade to expedite things and not have to worry about changing blades, but that perfect world isn't around here.

Any feedback is helpful, thanks. You can reply here or PM me, either way is fine.

We carry two each K950's and Ventmaster chainsaws on our Tower. One K has a Warthog blade, the other a metal/steel wheel. The Ventmaster's each have Raptor chains. Our lead engine also caries a Stihl chainsaw with a Raptor chain.

Our Rescue and ladder company's all carry a wide aray of saws that include cutoff, (Partner) ventmaster, quickie vent,and worm drive saws. One 650 partner saw will have a forcible entry blade on it. The 2nd partner saw 950 or the 1200 will have a wood blade. There are 4 important factors in selecting the proper blade 1-Pitch refers to the dimension between 2 teeth. 2- The Kerf.. The largest width of a saw tooth. 3- Top clearence angle 12 degree- 15 degree angles 12 degree angle are best for softer woods and 15 degree angle is for harder woods. 4- hook angle Anywhere from 20 degree - 22 degree The higher the hook angle the more aggresive your cut will be.

Our dept uses blades from Firehooks unlimited Now im not a salesman from there i have used all his blades and we find the 24 tooth carbide tip chopper blade is the best choice. 16 tooth chopper blades are good but the kerf throws the chips in a wild manner a little to aggresive for my taste. Warthog blade very good aggrevive blade but also VERY expensive. use your blade at a job then switch it out for a new sharp blade and put the used blade in the box for training that does not include going on the roof with the duller blade. Stay away from blades from your local bigbox stores. Use blades for our line of work I dont know about you im not going to the roof with a $10.00 blade. Chain saw blades on your ventmaster get gummed up and are tough to clean and when you ruin the carbide teeth the chain cost big bucks.

That's saw blades 101 there is a big difference between good proper blades and cheap blades sorry Chief!!

I have found that the 12 tip blade works best on the 950 while the 24 is good for the 1200. Tested two 950s head to head with the different blades the 12 tip is best. There's new cut everything blades out now but I haven't had a chance to test them.

Our K12's either have a Warthog or Metal Blade. While our chainsaws have carbide Bullet type chains.