Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

New scanner advice

10 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about finally replacing my "antique" base scanner with the Uniden 898. Can anyone give some feedback on this unit pro or con? I know the 996 is probably better but a little out of my price range right now. Also where would you recommend buying it? I believe Amazon had the lowest price.

Thanks in advance!!

Try Scannerworld.com, Go with the BCT-8 or BCT-15 .

That 898 looks like a nice receiver.

The 996 is okay, but is overkill for scanning non-digital broadcasts, any one of the cheaper models will do you just fine.

Do yourself a favor, whatever scanner you wind up getting, look into paid programming software to set up your scanner.

These new programmable trunking scanners can be a real chore to set up manually.

http://www.butel.nl/ has software for many popular models, and is fairly easy to figure out. Plus they let you have a free trial.

That 898 looks like a nice receiver.

The 996 is okay, but is overkill for scanning non-digital broadcasts, any one of the cheaper models will do you just fine.

Do yourself a favor, whatever scanner you wind up getting, look into paid programming software to set up your scanner.

These new programmable trunking scanners can be a real chore to set up manually.

http://www.butel.nl/ has software for many popular models, and is fairly easy to figure out. Plus they let you have a free trial.

Regarding the software, I use a Mac. Do you know if any of the software is Mac compatible? I've never been able to find any.

I can't answer that... you might want to email Butel support.

I believe Butel does have a Mac software program but check their website.

I use the BCT-15 and I think it's a great scanner VERY hard to set up manually like Jack said but I do not have any other complaints.

is there any scanners that will allow you to scan the new trunking freqs and the reg fire and ems channels if so what kind are they

Does any one have the list of FREQ use on the trunking system????????

See the links Steve posted above.

Uniden and Rat shak each have several scanners capable of trunked and conventional reception.

You generally have to set up separate channel banks for the trunked frequencies, but both types can be programmed in.

The the local frequencies are posted at the top of the Communications forum, and they are available on the Radio Reference dot com Database, in the link Steve posted.

Here's more: http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=22982