Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest VFDJrSqd02

Scanners

12 posts in this topic

I have been thinking about investing in a new scanner. Does anyone have any websites or any suggestions on what to get? Thanks :D

Base:

http://www.scannermaster.com/store/01-500826

Portable:

http://www.scannermaster.com/store/01-500827.html

And Make Sure You Get A Good Antenna Setup, Without It, Even The Best Scanner Is Useless.

Both these scanners are compatible with trunking, which will be helpful if the county's new radio system is Motorola and trunks.

x635: And Make Sure You Get A Good Antenna Setup, Without It, Even The Best Scanner Is Useless.

Now i dont know much about scanners so bear with me if you will. Do these come with an Antenna Setup or do i have to buy one? I have one now it is and an old one from RadioShack. So i am looking to upgrade. Thanks for those sites and thanks for your help. :D

Base Scanners come with cheap antennas that mount on the back of the scanner, and for listening to low band, are kind of useless.

Portable scanners come with a "rubber ducky" antenna designed for that radio, and are genrally OK.

RadnorCo15 wrote:  

I lived in Ardsley and recieved a great tip for lowband monitoring a few years ago. Radio Shack has a magnet mount CB antenna with adjustable tuning on it and it works wonders on lowband. I tested it and it works 10 times better than expensive all-band discones, etc. I have several high-end scanners and am not ashamed to say they're hooked up to $20 cheapo CB antennas from radio shack! Try it out and if u can place it outside (on the roof) or near a window. Good luck!  

Obviously outside the window is ideal. I now live in an apartment and cannot put an outdoor antenna so the windowsil has got to suffice. If possible, you want to put the magnet mount on a metal surface. I don't know what your options are but you may consider a different type of mount such as a gutter mount (if you have say a fire escape outside your window). Be creative you will ultimately figure out the best location by trial and error.  

Thanks x635 for your help. If anyone else has anything to say im listening. Again thanks for your help.

Im also getting the radioshack magnet antenna. Im going to either place it on my roof, or out my window. I hear good things about this. Also go to www.scannerworld.com

***WARNING*** DO NOT PATRONIZE WWW.SCANNERWORLD.COM!

I had BAD EXPERIENCE with them, where they committed FRAUD by FALSE ADVERTISING & not sending me the product I payed for. When they were confronted with the option to replace the item for the correct item or refund my money, they quietly refunded my money. Their offers are obviously too good to be true and if it weren't for my knowledge of the product I was buying would have been RIPPED OFF! (They were consequently reported to the Better Business Bureau)

ok Radnor, Thanks for the tip!!

www.scannermaster.com great site =D>

yes, Most modern Scanners have that feature.