Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Gravity Knives: Why so many lately ?

9 posts in this topic

What's up with the proliferation of gravity knives ( sometimes known as CAT knives) being found on so many perps lately?

I know they recently busted two gas stations in Yonkers on Central Ave in the 2nd Pct sectors for selling them.

But they are still too common....

They seem to be much more common lately than back in my day.

Supposedly back then, if the knife blade was longer then the width of your four fingers held together, it was illegal!!!

Actually, I think that was a NYC code violation and the story traveled north to our county.

An outdoorsmen friend told me that you can legally buy unassembled switchblades via mail from Soldier of Fortune type magazines and switchblades are actually LEGAL in some states, believe it or not.

If a folding knife does not open with the flick of a wrist, like a switchblade, is it legal to posess if concealed.???

Thanks and Stay Safe.

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

A switchblade actually opens with the touch of a button. Most lock blade knives can be opened with a flick of the wrist. They are very common and can be considered a gravity knife but I don't think that anybody really enforces it.

It is the newest FAD...all the gang members are carrying them...

It is the newest FAD...all the gang members are carrying them...

Oswego what is actually classified a "gravity knife"?

I actually own a "Spring Assist" Knife made by Smith and Wesson from their Black Ops SWAT line that is sold in NY.

From the NYS Penal Law

TITLE P--OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC SAFETY

ARTICLE 265--FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS WEAPONS

Section 265.00 Definitions

As used in this article and in article four hundred, the following terms shall mean and include:

1. "Machine-gun" means a weapon of any description, irrespective of size, by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, from which a number of shots or bullets may be rapidly or automatically discharged from a magazine with one continuous pull of the trigger and includes a sub-machine gun.

2. "Firearm silencer" means any instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance for causing the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearms to be silent, or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearms.

3. "Firearm" means (a) any pistol or revolver; or (B) a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length; or © a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length; or (d) any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise if such weapon as altered, modified, or otherwise has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; or (e) an assault weapon. For the purpose of this subdivision the length of the barrel on a shotgun or rifle shall be determined by measuring the distance between the muzzle and the face of the bolt, breech, or breechlock when closed and when the shotgun or rifle is cocked; the overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore. Firearm does not include an antique firearm.

4. "Switchblade knife" means any knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife.

5. "Gravity knife" means any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever or other device.

5-a. "Pilum ballistic knife" means any knife which has a blade which can be projected from the handle by hand pressure applied to a button, lever, spring or other device in the handle of the knife.

5-b. "Metal knuckle knife" means a weapon that, when closed, cannot function as a set of metal knuckles, nor as a knife and when open, can function as both a set of metal knuckles as well as a knife.

4. "Switchblade knife" means any knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife.

Guess I should I hide mine then :lol: :lol:

Guess I should I hide mine then :lol::lol:

AAHHH, but then that would be a concealed weapon---another NO_NO!!!!!

An outdoorsmen friend told me that you can legally buy unassembled switchblades via mail from Soldier of Fortune type magazines and switchblades are actually LEGAL in some states, believe it or not.

Switchblades? TASER's are legal in 43 states for civilians to carry.

A knife is a knife is a knife to me. Some are more menacing then others and easier to conceal but I know of many folding pocket knives that can be considered a gravity knife. I carry a similiar model to FFD's on my Tac Vest.

Its just like everything else, you will never be able to stop the sale of them.

This is a good topic being we have had a bit of an increase in stabbings, particularly by teens partaking in muggings. But one flip side that doesn't bother me...I'll take the stabbings, little chance of an innocent getting wounded or killed by a stray bullet from a gun just fired wildly.