Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaRock98

What exactly is the TMC?

15 posts in this topic

Quick question while we are on the topic of NYS troopers how come sometimes when my dept is dispatched to the trooper barracks they call it the "TMC"? What does that mean?

Traffic Management Center, a fancy name for SP Hawthorne

yea they handle all those LED traffic update signs on the through-ways from the "TMC"

yea they handle all those LED traffic update signs on the through-ways from the "TMC"

The do a hell of a lot more than that!! (Not to get off topic, but....)

It's actually a very interesting place that I had the priveledge of touring back when I worked with the County.

In addition to the NYSP Barracks, it is a central answering point for cellular 911 calls, dispatch center for NYSP, Westchester County OEM's HQ, backup dispatch terminals for 60 Control (not sure if they are 100% up and running yet) and a whole lot more. Many offices, confrence rooms, etc. I'm sure that there is someone out there who could elaborate more...

The do a hell of a lot more than that!! (Not to get off topic, but....)

It's actually a very interesting place that I had the priveledge of touring back when I worked with the County.

In addition to the NYSP Barracks, it is a central answering point for cellular 911 calls, dispatch center for NYSP, Westchester County OEM's HQ, backup dispatch terminals for 60 Control (not sure if they are 100% up and running yet) and a whole lot more. Many offices, confrence rooms, etc. I'm sure that there is someone out there who could elaborate more...

i know that, but all the stuff u mentioned i've only heard through rumor, wan't 100% sure

In addition to the NYSP Barracks, it is a central answering point for cellular 911 calls,

Cell 911 calls for Westchester

Not so. The TMC and SP Hawthorne are collocated within the same building but are entirely different operations. SP Hawthorne is the Zone Headquarters for the State Police; the TMC is the regional traffic management center. The State and County have EOC's in the buildng, plus DOT, Thruway Authority and WC OEM all have offices there as well.

The TMC handles all communications for SP and local agencies they dispatch for (that's why you hear TMC on the radio); receives and routes cellular 911 calls; coordinates DOT activities (road closures and responses and such) and HELP Trucks, etc. from there.

x648e119 hits on a lot of their functions too.

For more info about it you can go to: http://www.hudsonvalleytraveler.com/

Not so. The TMC and SP Hawthorne are collocated within the same building but are entirely different operations. SP Hawthorne is the Zone Headquarters for the State Police; the TMC is the regional traffic management center. The State and County have EOC's in the buildng, plus DOT, Thruway Authority and WC OEM all have offices there as well.

The TMC handles all communications for SP and local agencies they dispatch for (that's why you hear TMC on the radio); receives and routes cellular 911 calls; coordinates DOT activities (road closures and responses and such) and HELP Trucks, etc. from there.

Thanks for the info. my VAC is minutes from this place and I had no idea of what went on there.

To complicate it even further, the State Police has four distinct units in the building, all separated form each other, both in location and function.

On the lowest level, you have TMC, who handles cell 911, E-911 from the towns of Cortlandt, Somers, North Salem, Lewisboro, and Pound Ridge. Also, they handle all radio communication for SP Zone 3 (Cortlandt, Mohegan Lake, Somers, Lewisboro, Pound Ridge and Hawthorne patrols).

Then you have the HELP Truck Program, manned by SP personnel. They coordinate the HELP Trucks on the highways and respond to major traffic incidents in the region.

Then on the 1st floor, you have "SP Hawthorne". The patrol and BCI aspects of a traditional barracks. It is run by a Sergeant/Station Commander.

Lastly on the 2nd floor you have Zone 3 HQ. It is manned by a Capt, a Lt, four Zone Sergeants and a secretary. They are in charge of all Zone 3 stations.

Thanks for the answers ladies and gentleman they do a lot of work that I had no idea they did. It's a very large building and I have never made it past a room or two to the right as you walk in the main entrance.

Are you saying the TMC Communications Center is in a windowless basement? I sure hope not. You'd think in such a modern facility mangement would have thought a little smarter. I don't know why dispatchers so often end up in the basement. I've suffered in a place like that (Nassau County Fire Communications) for 24 years and I really wish com center planners would wise up.

Are you saying the TMC Communications Center is in a windowless basement? I sure hope not. You'd think in such a modern facility mangement would have thought a little smarter. I don't know why dispatchers so often end up in the basement. I've suffered in a place like that (Nassau County Fire Communications) for 24 years and I really wish com center planners would wise up.

It isn't your typical "basement". It's got moviescreen size monitors, probably 25' ceilings and all the modern amenities. The "moviescreen" can be set to a variety of cameras, TV, CAD status screen, etc.

It's pretty well thought out.

BUT DOES IT HAVE WINDOWS? (No, not the computer kind!) I don't care how modern it is. If it's a basement and the people working there can't see outside, then it's a bad place for a com center.

one other thing they do at the tmc is watch on all the monitors the cameras on the roads which you as a traveler in the hudson valley can get up dates about traffic on roads that the dot take care of like the taconic and sprain and saw mill etc

many more local streets also they are busy 24/7/365 watching for us all

Actually, it is the "TRANSPORTATION Management Center."

They actually collect and diseminate information on all forms of transportation including cars, buses and trains.