Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New Metro North Trains?

15 posts in this topic

Well, I was sitting on post at work by the Train Tracks in the Hills Of Bedford stalking Tower Ladder 57 as usual, and I noticed on the Metro North tracks what appeared to be a brand new train. It looked HOT, and very modern. Did Metro North get new trains, and has anybody ridden on one yet? Are they nice inside?

Are these the "M3's" that they were talking about getting a while back? I didnt know they were coming so soon if they were.

Not really a train buff, although I do like them. My main vehicle related buffing knowlege is related to Fire apparatus and commercial aircraft. So please excuse my train ignorance, lol!

Well, apparently they are the M7's and there is a nice little article on MNRR's site

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mnr/html/m7s.htm

Has anyone ridden on one yet? I wanna, I wonder what routes/times they are running and how many?

Also wonder if Metro-North will be giving any update classes in regards to rescue and firefighting procedures for the new trains?

From what I understand, these new cars will only be in service on the Harlem line. The poor slobs on the New Haven line (myself included) will continue to ride on the old equipment. Unfortunately it looks like the same problems that plagued MN last winter will continue again in the coming months, as shown by the fifteen minute delay encountered thsi morning after last night's snow. I know 15 minutes doesn't sound like a long time, but imagine yourself on the platform this morning at 5:45 AM, and I think you'll undertand!

Here's the deal. They are gradually being delivered to Metro-North for use in the Hudson and Harlem lines. However, the situation in the New Haven line is outrageous and a scandal.

The Connecticut Legislature, after years of endless discussions and BS, has not appropriated their share of the funding to buy the new cars for the NH line. So we who ride anywhere between Grand Central, N.Rochelle, Rye, Port Chester, Stamford and NH will have to wait at least 5 to 7 more years to get new equipment. In the meantime, the breakdowns happen almost every day, the paint is peeling, 8-car trains become 5-car trains and if it snows more than 4" the system grinds to a halt !

Enough venting, I've ridden the new cars and they're great! Quiet operation, great lighting, big bathrooms, nice sky blue seat colors, padded headrests and even some lumbar support.

I was on the New Haven line this afternoon. Two cars had no heat and no lights. The others were all overcrowded and dirty.

The new cars are like gold compared to the old ones. very spacious, seats are extremely comfortable and not torn. the cars are more than just quiet. its almost like riding on air.

too bad CT is holding things up for the New haven line riders. (yes, i am on the New Haven line, but i was lucky enough to catch a new train at a stop on the harlem line while visiting some friends)

8)

Don't forget the other issue with the New Haven line. The trains use overhead wires and 3rd Rail. So they will cost more money just to run on the New Haven lines.

Also as far as Rescue and Fire ops on the trains go. I wish they did post updated info. I was on a NYC Train the other day trying to get a door open and the conductor came over with the key and said it would only open with a key. The trains that are used in training don't require any key to open the doors. It's nice that we keep the resuce workers up to date.

Was talking to a train buff co -worker the other day. The overhead lines are definitley one of the main issues with buying new cars. They should use the diesels all winter on NH line, but cost more to run, so they dont.

The new MNRR cars work better in the bad weather than the old ones, but electric and wet snow are, by obvious nature harder to maintain.

On a FF/R note, if working around NH line tracks, be cautious of electrified rails by way of a fallen line somewhere down the line. if a power line falls on a rail, it will energize it for miles possibly.

The trains are quite nice and as stated above, definetly needed. I gotta figure out what times they run because I wanna ride on one.

BTW, an awesome safety reminder from mstrang.

I ride Metro North almost everyday, and have ridden the M7 cars frequently. From what I have heard they are mixed into service radomly, i.e. the the 5:30 train might have it one day, and the next have an older M1 or M3.

In regards to FD/EMS operations here are a few things I have noticed:

1. The doors to the platforms are wider the the older equipment, but only have one door piece. Next to each door is an emergency release handle behind a clear piece of plastic, and is labeled (unlike older equipment behind a panel). These new doors may be heavier due to their size.

2. The bathrooms are larger to be able to handle a wheelchair, with a person helping them. These bathrooms are huge compared to older ones. The bathroom also has one large sliding door. More space to search. Also the toilet is similar to those on an aiplane, it is pressurized to cut down on odors.

3. In a move to make the trains more reliable, more electrical components have been moved into the the passenger compartment. The equipment is housed in two closets near the train operators compartment, which now spans the width of the train. When the compartment is not in use(such as in the middle of a train), it can be closed off to the size of the older M1/M3and allows two seats to folded down in an alcove on the left. If a search must be done, do not forget this area( it face the window on the front of the car).

4. A backboard will not fit down the aisle inbetween the seats(just like the older equiopment).

5. Each car seats less than older equipment.

If you have any need more info try here:http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=67

The new cars are like gold compared to the old ones.  very spacious, seats are extremely comfortable and not torn.

My dad is a MN conductor, he says just the opposite. The aisles are narrower, there isn't as much room between the seats, and there is LESS seating capacity. Also the doors close a lot slower, and the announcements are automated. The PASSENGER complaints about the announcements are that there are too many of them for each station, and there is an annoying "ding-dong" before each announcement. Sounds like they're not at nice as everyone is making them out to be!!

automated announcements?? i like when the conductor announces the stop...they make you laugh sometimes...get's you out of the just waitin to get home routine

As I was entering the train station in Bedford Hills the other day, one of the new M-7s was already in the station. I looked down at the train and noticed two areas on the roof of each car that were clear marked and labeled "Emergency Access" (I cant remember exact label). but it was definetly for rescuer access with a saw. I guess these are the safe areas to cut into car in a roll over derailment. =D>

I finally got to ride on one of the new trains via Grand Central -> Hartsdale on my way home from Philadelphia.

Overall, nothing special. On the outside, these trains look way nicer, but the older trains feel a lot more comfortable and roomy. These trains feel too cramped. The ride didn't feel any different, either and the interior cabin is way too bright.

Bathroom's are HUGE

SPLAT