Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tunaFish

Man Parachutes Off Bear Mountain Bridge

16 posts in this topic

Base jumper busted at Bear Mountain

By Ben Rubin • The Journal News • June 8, 2008

A man was arrested after police say he jumped off a bridge in Bear Mountain State Park yesterday wearing a parachute.

Story: http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...EWS03/806080395

Edited by jack10562
Source Site Copyright notice and EMTBravo site policy for posting news articles / moved to proper forum

I find it actually pretty cool...base jumping is something I'd like to try. That had to be a nice glide in and I'm sure it could be even a bit risky depending on how the wind whips through that area as the river valley narrows there.

Sounds like fun! I think that the world has to lighten up a bit, no? Who cares, who did he put in danger but himself. This is the bridge to the north west of the Bear Mtn Bridge, has another bridge below it for the freight trains.

As for the summonses, I didn't know that you could write someone for unauthorized use of an airplane parachute, what section is that????????

And unauthorized swimming????? You've got to be kidding me, what the hell is the water for, that is a crock!

We had a guy swimming, rather floating on a log in the Hudson last week in Yonkers, TRK4 was there! One of the foot posts wanted to know if he could write the guy for swimming, needless to say it gave the radio room a good laugh and our boss thought the post was nuts...lol

Soon enough we are going to be in trouble for leisure strolls that are unauthorized! Please stop the madness! I support base jumpers (even though I wouldn't do it) and those who have the balls to climb skyscrapers! They are out to enjoy themselves, remember, we only live ONCE!

He should have found a place where its legally permissible to jump. If he is on state property, he should have followed the rules and regulations. I'm not familiar with the location where he jumped, but if he got into trouble, no doubt alot of resources and quite possibly risk would have to be used to get him out of there.

As long as hes not destroying property or putting anyone in danger but him self. Let em jump, things are starting to get just a touch up tight these days.

Frankly, I don't care if people want to jump off or climb up things with or without a parachute. But, it invariably leads to responses by us and we get put in harms way. How about they legalize base jumping but you have to buy a $1500 permit to do it and sign a waiver that you won't sue the state if you get hurt jumping off their bridge? How is this any different than skiing out of bounds? If you do and get hurt or lost, you get the bill for the search and rescue! Boy do those National Guard helicopters cost a lot!!!

And, to compound the irony, there was just a jumper (as in suicide - unless he just forgot his chute) off the Bear Mountain Bridge just a few minutes ago. I think ALSfirefighter is right - we've got to stop publicizing this stupid stuff so people have to come up with their own original ideas!

And unauthorized swimming????? You've got to be kidding me, what the hell is the water for, that is a crock!

According to the Journal News article...

all violations of the Palisades Interstate Park Rules and Regulations.

I agree basejumping in the fashion this guy did can place demands on emergency services. However, I feel that basejumpers should have to accomplish some training, meet some qualifications, sign a waiver and pay a fee.....and that the (or a) bridge should be open to basejumpers a couple of times each year, like is done in other parts of the country (ever see that MTV True Life episode?)

As long as hes not destroying property or putting anyone in danger but him self. Let em jump, things are starting to get just a touch up tight these days.

i think this is the same justification one may use for drug use lol

Wow, i think thats pretty cool! Dont hear of base jumping around here to often. As stated, he didnt hurt anyone or himself (thank god), didnt cause any damage to anything (i assume), so whats the big deal?

I do like Chris192's idea of somehow charging people for permits to legally jump, after signing waivers.

On a side note, i just went sky-diving for the 1st time last Sunday up at The Ranch in Ulster County and it was absolutely amazing! I would highly reccommend it to anyone. Hey als, let me know if you want to go, i'll drive!

How is this any different than skiing out of bounds? If you do and get hurt or lost, you get the bill for the search and rescue! Boy do those National Guard helicopters cost a lot!!!

What?????

That's... barbaric. Immoral. Anytime someone is in danger and they have to make a decision, and one of the factors influencing that decision is what the rescue is going to *cost them* personally.... well someone's moral compass needs swinging!

I've heard of cases of people dying in the Alps because they decided they couldn't afford the (paid, charged-for) mountain rescue services and tried to get out of a sticky situation on their own. I've heard of rescuers there turning back if they discovered the victim didn't have insurance and was unlikely to be able to afford their services. I had thought the USA more civilised. What the priority here? Getting paid or saving lives?!

(In the UK mountain rescue helicopter service is provided primarily by the Navy & Air Force; their primary mission in wartime is rescuing service personel who are 'down' in hostile territory, and they they regard civilian rescues as good free training...)

Mike

i think this is the same justification one may use for drug use lol

True, but outside of the occasional broken lock or cut chain BASE jumping has a very low associated crime rate. There are a few drugs out there that thanks to their addictive nature tend to drive people into desperate situations where they turn to crime to get their next fix.

What?????

That's... barbaric. Immoral. Anytime someone is in danger and they have to make a decision, and one of the factors influencing that decision is what the rescue is going to *cost them* personally.... well someone's moral compass needs swinging!

I've heard of cases of people dying in the Alps because they decided they couldn't afford the (paid, charged-for) mountain rescue services and tried to get out of a sticky situation on their own. I've heard of rescuers there turning back if they discovered the victim didn't have insurance and was unlikely to be able to afford their services. I had thought the USA more civilised. What the priority here? Getting paid or saving lives?!

(In the UK mountain rescue helicopter service is provided primarily by the Navy & Air Force; their primary mission in wartime is rescuing service personel who are 'down' in hostile territory, and they they regard civilian rescues as good free training...)

Mike

This isn't people who get lost snowmobiling through Yellowstone or go back country skiing and get stuck or hurt. The people who are being charged here knowingly cross the lines into uncontrolled and dangerous areas. You break the rules and get yourself into trouble there is a price to pay.

You do not get charged for calling for help while skiing in the backcountry in the USA. Backcountry skiing is perfectly legal as long as it is not on private/restricted land. The stroy about the Alps is true depending on which country you are in. For example, Switzerland I know charges you for rescue but I think France does not.

Now as for the unauthorized swimming....Same is true in Harriman State Park. If it is not a beach with guards you are not supposed to swim there. If you are in a swimming hole in one of the rivers and you are caught by a ranger or park police they can write you a ticket.

What?????

Mike

Barbaric and immoral? Isn't that a bit extreme. I can't speak for the European incidents but in many US states you can be billed for search and rescue if you leave an authorized ski area and become lost or injured as a result of your own disregard for posted regulations. How is this any different than air ambulance agencies charging for their services?

I've never heard of a first responder (or other player in SAR) in the US turning their back on anyone in a rescue situation. The whole billing thing is after the fact as a way of charging the recipient of the services and probably as a deterrent. The National Guard doesn't lower people from their helicopters with a credit card machine to charge you before plucking you off of the mountain.

True, but outside of the occasional broken lock or cut chain BASE jumping has a very low associated crime rate. There are a few drugs out there that thanks to their addictive nature tend to drive people into desperate situations where they turn to crime to get their next fix.

true, and here the base jumping in itself was illegal lol

Edited by vacguy

Not trying to be a buzz kill here, but what happens when this guy jumps off the bridge, and for whatever reason splats himself all over the place, or drowns in the river? After all of the agencies respond, tying up resources and manhours all at some unknown cost to the taxpayer, what happens next? The spouse, family or some other relation sue the pants off of anybody - the state, the responding agencies, or someone for failing to put up a fence or to put on a stronger lock.

Look at Stratford CT last year - a kite surfer - who was practicing his chosen sport under conditions which were well beyond his skill set - drowned in LI Sound. Because of this, many emergency responders were put into a perilous situation in an attempt to make a rescue/recovery. That's what we do, I understand that part, but what was the end result? The victims wife sued the Town because, she and her lawyer, alleged that the Town failed to organise an effective and timely emergency response that could have saved this guys life.

As far as the "No Unauthorized Swimming" goes - usually a stupid regulation like that comes around because stupid people died or got hurt trying to swim. You know the overlook going up to the Bear Mt Bridge from Peekskill? It used to be nice and open, you could hike down and sit on the outcroppings and relax. All was good until some poor girl lost her footing and took a header and tumbled 300 feet down. Last I saw, there was a rock wall with chain link on top, so access is now denied.

Nick, anyone who works in Emergency Services can attribute their career to stupid people trying to kill themselves in new and creative ways. I like Chris's idea, pay for a permit and then jump to your hears content. You can't stop it so you might as well regulate it.