Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
20y2

What Is The Purpose Of Posting Day-Old Incident Alerts?

12 posts in this topic

I can understand if a major event is unfolding (like 9/11 or a major crash0 and news needs to be disseminated, but what is the point of posting an incident alert for something that occurred more than 12 hours ago? Going through the incident alert forums I see page after page of incident alerts posted more than 6 hours after the event (usually something small in scale with no need for discussion either) and there is NEVER a reply to the incident alert or any other information posted. I'm not complaining per se, but I just don't see the point. Can someone fill me in on why we need to know about a small fire 12 hours after it happened?

Incident Alert is for breaking and recent incidents. It's basically a log of what's going on. Numerous members have commented to me that they use the IA to find out what's going on while they're on vacation, etc. Also, there's many members scattered throughout the world who use the IA forum to keep in touch with what's going on in their hometown.

You cannot post a reply to Incident Alerts, it is a one-post thread for logistical reasons. All discussion about the incident takes place in the specific local forum.

Although we strive to have members post IA's as they happen, that's not always possible. Sometimes, the best IA's come from those who were on scene and return to file an IA when they are done, or are done with their shift.

Incident Alerts are supposed to be for noteable incidents only, and Truck4 and the EMTBravo staff are constantly working to ensure that the IA's are they best they can be. We weed out a lot of the "non-incidents" that some members who aren't familiar with posting IA's post as soon as possible, and inform them as to why.

-Seth G.

Why not... it's just for information. I don't post alot here but I also don't carry a computer with me on the road. If I work a job that might be of interest it may be 6 or more hours until I get back to the office. Whats the difference?

Perhaps this "airing of a grievance" is due to an incident I posted today about a fire that took place in my city yesterday morning. I can explain...We were discussing this event on a thread about a fire going on in Norwalk. I promised that once I got details at work the following day, I would post an accurate IA, thats what I did.

I agree with Seth that the IAs are a means to get and give info...so what if it is 12-24 hours after the fact. Are you saying that you want to go and check it out as it is going on? If so, you have a lot of time on your hands...LOL

Joe

If you would like to know about incidents going on to the minute join a paging company.

Not trying to be mean but just stating my feelings

Edited by x635
Removed Endorsement

Perhaps this "airing of a grievance" is due to an incident I posted today about a fire that took place in my city yesterday morning. I can explain...We were discussing this event on a thread about a fire going on in Norwalk. I promised that once I got details at work the following day, I would post an accurate IA, thats what I did.

I agree with Seth that the IAs are a means to get and give info...so what if it is 12-24 hours after the fact. Are you saying that you want to go and check it out as it is going on? If so, you have a lot of time on your hands...LOL

Joe

Uh, no. I don't even look at fire ones....

The timeliness of an IA does not bother me at all. Its not like I'm gonna drive to some far corner of the tri-state area to buff a fire or chase a bank robber. I like to see what other agencies are doing, and if it sounds like something I could learn from, I can ask questions and see how the incident was handled, etc.

That's like asking why do newspapers bother printing blotters when they're always behind.

I wish more IA's were posted.

Why not? Deep down inside of us we are all buffs. Plus, when someone asks, hey did hear a call in this area. You can say, no, but I read it on EMTBravo. Also, we can learn from incidents that are posted. You think it is worth posting, then post it.

Thomas

... You think it is worth posting, then post it.

Thomas

Except, we really don't want the routine calls being posted, that everyone gets, that would only clutter things up.

We absolutely encourage our members to post qualifying incidents, but please, be sure to follow the IA posting guidelines, and follow the template for doing so.

Why not? Deep down inside of us we are all buffs. Plus, when someone asks, hey did hear a call in this area. You can say, no, but I read it on EMTBravo. Also, we can learn from incidents that are posted. You think it is worth posting, then post it.

Thomas

Yeah thats kind of how I see it. I don't get on the computer everyday so sometimes I use the IA's as a way to sort of "catch up" on an incident that I may have missed.

I can understand if a major event is unfolding (like 9/11 or a major crash0 and news needs to be disseminated, but what is the point of posting an incident alert for something that occurred more than 12 hours ago? Going through the incident alert forums I see page after page of incident alerts posted more than 6 hours after the event (usually something small in scale with no need for discussion either) and there is NEVER a reply to the incident alert or any other information posted. I'm not complaining per se, but I just don't see the point. Can someone fill me in on why we need to know about a small fire 12 hours after it happened?

As for what I posted today over 12 hrs old, about a fire in New Hamburg. I for one, did not have any power as most in the south end and was supprised that no one posted anything about it. It generated 11 posts. People just talking ( POSTING) THATS ALL...