Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cfman

Interested In Possibly Joining A VAC

16 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I am interested in joining a local VAC. I feel like I can give back to the community and also gain some personal satisfaction. They are offering to train for free and I can probably get some decent hours.

My only concern (a big concern) is that I may be a bit squeemish/hemophobic. I do not like watching TV shows with a lot of gore (surgery shows) and I had one incident with a lot of my own blood where I almost passed out.

Obviously I really need to find out if I can "stomach" the job because I certainly wouldn't want to compromise a patient's health.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated, and God bless all of you who serve us each and every day.

If you feel that being squeemish/hemophobic is going to be a problem it might not be the best thing to do, however if you know anyone in a VAC or on a paid bus see if there officers will let you do a ride-a-long for a shift or two and see if its for you before you commit your self for the long hall. Best of luck with everything.

It's hard to know how you'll react until you see it. I know medics who faint at the sight of a needle during a physical but have no problem sticking pts all day long and I know 20 year EMT's who will vomit if they see someone vomit yet they've worked NYC through some of its roughest years. A lot of it has to do with being focused on the problem at hand and not being bothered by something that normally makes you heave (for me its saliva or phlegm). You won't know until you try it, so see if you can get a ride along with your local vac and if you make it to an EMT program when you go rotations see about going somewhere busy. At least increase your chances of testing your limits.

I think it is important to keep in mind that EMS isn't what you see on TV. In my experience, gory traumas are the vast minority of my VACs calls. You will treat far more medical problems and minor injuries. It is a rare occurrence for me to treat a real trauma.

Edited by OoO

CROTON EMS is looking for member. Where do you live?

CROTON EMS is looking for member. Where do you live?

I would join a lower Westchester VAC.

Any more advice appreciated.

up were i live you can be a member and just drive the bus if your not an emt you just need first aid and cpr and a driver class i think thats it see if you can be a member and just drive you can help out carrying stuff but you may not have to deal with the PT. just something to look in to.

up were i live you can be a member and just drive the bus if your not an emt you just need first aid and cpr and a driver class i think thats it see if you can be a member and just drive you can help out carrying stuff but you may not have to deal with the PT. just something to look in to.

Anyone ever heard of this in the lower Westchester VACs? I know that they struggle to find drivers.

Yes, a lot of VAC's allow that. Some VAC's allow you to ride without being a driver or an EMT and you basically become an "assistant". If depends on what your local organization has in their bylaws and its SOP's. Bear in mind that even as a driver, most will expect you to help out with the call.

Before I became involved with EMS as first a volunteer and then professionally later on, I was "squeemish" as well. Those surgery shows would make my stomach do backflips. It didn't take any more than a few months of experience in the field before that subsided. Also I found, the more I studied anatomy and the functions of the human body, the more I could tolerate. I've seen organs, bones, basically anything people have inside, I've seen it where it doesn't belong and it no longer bothers me. I think a lot of people find this to be true.

So give it a shot first before you count yourself "too squeemish", you might surprise yourself.

What town/city/whatever do you live in? That's the only way to determine what your VAC allows. Chances are there is at least one member on here. A lot of VAC's (with a handful of notable exceptions) don't allow you to join unless you live in the area your serve.

Not to double tap here but just to comment on:

I think it is important to keep in mind that EMS isn't what you see on TV. In my experience, gory traumas are the vast minority of my VACs calls. You will treat far more medical problems and minor injuries. It is a rare occurrence for me to treat a real trauma.

Very, very true. Depending on which area you serve, your calls will vary in both severity and frequency. Don't expect TV EMS, its not real.

Even in the busiest system, you are far more likely to respond for someone who fell out of bed than for someone with major trauma.

Keep in mind that some lower Westchester VAC's are *VERY* slow. You can go a day or more without a call. Some are somewhat busy and you can have up to 10 calls per day. The busiest systems (Yonkers, Mt Vernon, etc.) are paid services for obvious reasons.

I know a lot of volunteers who have never performed CPR in the field. I know a lot who have never worked a serious trauma job. Some have never given any drugs (O2 aside.) It all depends on where you're at.

Edited by feraldan

Thanks for all the insight. Anyone know any specifics for Scarsdale VAC? Do they allow just drivers? How long is training? etc

Check out the website and read some of the pages at www.scarsdalevac.com. Notably, the website states that "SVAC is also in need of volunteers, particularly those interested in driving the ambulances." (SVAC)

Edited by DOC22
Made link hot (SVAC)

Notably, the website states that "SVAC is also in need of volunteers, particularly those interested in driving the ambulances." (SVAC)

I would assume that's because of Scarsdale VAC having Career Paramedics, who can ride ALS/BLS while someone drives.

I would definetly do a ride along, as suggested above, with a busy service that runs BLS 911 ambulances, such as Empress, to see if you like what it's all about.

I know you're looking in Southern Westchester, but I'd reccomend a busy VAC, like possibly Cortlandt VAC, Croton VAC, Ossining VAC or Peekskill VAC, all of which you'll see a lot more volume as an EMT then Scarsdale. In Southern Westchester, consider Village Of Mamaroneck VAC.

you could always also consider a Fire Department that runs an ambulance, though i don't know if westchester does that. I know thats what we do in dutchess, there is actually only 1 VAC,(Beacon) and the rest are rescue squads run by FD. And, you can be just a driver, with little to no medical training, though it helps.... Just some food for thought

Edited by EFFP411

you could always also consider a Fire Department that runs an ambulance, though i don't know if westchester does that. I know thats what we do in dutchess, there is actually only 1 VAC,(Beacon) and the rest are rescue squads run by FD. And, you can be just a driver, with little to no medical training, though it helps.... Just some food for thought

Mamaroneck EMS is in lower westchester and they too have ALS and allow you to just be a driver, or an "attendent" if you want. If you're interested, send me a PM and I can get you information

Scarsdale VAC would be more than happy to talk to you about joining. We do allow non EMTs to drive the ambulance. But, we do stress that a driver is also the second member of an EMS crew.

I was also very nervous in the beginning about coming across a gory trauma, but training and experience have eased by mind. I find on traumas, you concentrate on the problem at hand and really don't have time to think 'oh this is gross'

Our training entails a three month probation that includes training in ambulance ops and basic medical. You then can proceed to our driver training program that last between 3 and 6 months depending on the candidate.

PM me if you want more info. Be happy to give you a tour of our new facility :)

Edited by ComputerGuy