Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Fennelly retires as Eastchester Fire Chief

3 posts in this topic

Fennelly retires as Eastchester fire chief

By RICHARD LIEBSON 

THE JOURNAL NEWS 

(Original publication: December 22, 2004)

There was a brush fire in his neighborhood when John Fennelly came home from the hospital that day back in 1949, and, after they put the fire out, firefighters were invited to toast the birth of his Fennelly's son, Keith. 

Last week, the firefighters toasted Keith Fennelly again as he retired after a 30-year career in the Eastchester Fire Department, where he has served as chief since 1997. 

"Everyone in my family worked for the New York Transit Authority, but I've always thought I was destined to be a firefighter from the day I was born,'' said the 55-year-old, who served as a volunteer for three years before he became a paid firefighter in 1975. 

He decided to retire after suffering a heart attack last year. 

"I've enjoyed every minute of it, but it's time to step aside and let people with fresh ideas take over,'' he said. "I'm very grateful that I've been able to balance this career and a family life and have both come out as great as they did. Now, I'm looking forward to spending more time with my wife, Irene. She's had to put up with a lot over the years, and she's always been very, very supportive.'' 

An Eastchester native who graduated from Eastchester High School in 1968, Fennelly made his mark across the region as president of the state Fire Marshals and Inspectors Association and chairman of the state Fire Council, when he helped rewrite and strengthen fire and building safety codes. 

"Keith has provided us with invaluable leadership and insight on a lot of issues,'' said Bill Timmons, current president of the fire marshals' association. "He's always had a sense of how to deal with the various fire organizations in a positive, productive way, and how to proceed on sensitive issues facing the fire service.'' 

His work at the state level, with the Westchester County Arson Task Force in the 1980s and since 2002 as president of the county Career Chiefs Association, earned Fennelly a reputation as being adept at working with the many bureaucracies within the fire service. That ability has been important within his own department, which includes paid career firefighters and volunteers. 

"From a union point of view, we're losing a good chief,'' said Tom Cusack, vice president of Eastchester's fire union. "He's always been good with the union: He had an open-door policy and took our issues seriously. He's always listened to our concerns with a sympathetic ear.'' 

Fennelly said better technology, stricter code enforcement, emphasis on fire prevention and new expectations in a post-Sept. 11 world were the most significant changes he's seen in his career. 

"What's expected of firefighters changed on Sept. 11, and we've had to educate ourselves and refocus our priorities quickly,'' he said. "The phrase 'threat assessment' used to mean building-code assessment to a fire chief. Now, it means terrorism. Every time you take a 'what if' drive around your district, you're thinking in terms of Sept. 11, and trying to assess what could happen. All you can do is train and be as prepared as you can for anything. As a firefighter you're playing defense — because until the ball is hiked, you don't know what the play's going to be.'' 

Fennelly said his biggest disappointment has been lack of progress. 

"We still have staffing issues; we're still coming to grips with safety issues; we still have different groups competing for the same funding instead of working together," he said. "We need to get all of the fire organizations in sync and on the same page.'' 

His biggest challenge in retirement, he said, will be to let go. 

"I'll miss waking up to the unknown because, in this job, no two days are alike," he said. "When the alarm sounds, I still get the adrenaline rush. When I see the rigs rolling down the street on a call, I won't chase after them anymore. I'll just hope that the guys all stay safe and all come back.'' 

What happens now

The Eastchester Fire Department's 73 paid and 40 volunteer firefighters provide protection to the Eastchester Fire District, which covers Eastchester, Bronxville and Tuckahoe. Assistant Chief Michael Grogan has been appointed acting chief with Fennelly's retirement. No time frame has been announced for the appointment of a new permanent chief by the five-member Board of Fire Commissioners.

Congrats on your retirement, and Best wishes, Chief

best of luck to him! =D> ......looks like Grogan will be the permanent chief, does anyone know who the new asst will be?