Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DR104

What Is A Working Fire?

11 posts in this topic

Don't know if this was covered before or not. I would like to know what terms are set to post or to be called "Working Fire". I mean its a fire, or its not a fire.

Take the post for Arlington FD(Not to pick on the post) But it was a grill on fire inside the kitchen. Is that a working fire? Is a garbage can outside on fire next to a house a working fire? Is a car fire is a working fire? Just wondering

I would say, if thier is visiable fire on arrival of the first unit, then you have a working fire.

Thomas

Don't know if this was covered before or not. I would like to know what terms are set to post or to be called "Working Fire". I mean its a fire, or its not a fire.

Take the post for Arlington FD(Not to pick on the post) But it was a grill on fire inside the kitchen. Is that a working fire? Is a garbage can outside on fire next to a house a working fire? Is a car fire is a working fire? Just wondering

Not picking on any particular posts either but I've wondered the same thing myself. There have been some working fire incident alerts that in my opinion have strecthed the common sense definition of a working fire. Yes, a fire is a fire but in the day, food on the stove was food on the stove, a dumpster was a dumpser, etc. not a "working fire". I know times have changed just my opinion.

Edited by 210

If you arrive and have a heavy smoke condition and/or a body of fire visible from any point in the structure, you are justified in calling it a working fire. If you need to stretch handlines to put out the fire, then it is a working fire. The examples given speak for themselves, a fully involved engine compartment on a car or truck is a "working car/truck fire", a container against a structure on fire is "a working container fire that is exposing a structure", a grease fire on a cooking range or grill is a "cooking fire" if it is not exposing building components, (cabinets, ceiling etc.) I think this is really a common sense thing, if it is newsworthy and contributes to other members' knowledge, by all means, post it up, if not, wait for something to happen that is so.

We all know what a job is so if there are guys out there who want to "fluff" their depts so be it. They are fooling no one but themselves.

We all know what a job is so if there are guys out there who want to "fluff" their depts so be it. They are fooling no one but themselves.

This thread is not going in a good direction.

In my eyes I wouldn't use "working fire" because it has such a broad range of answers.

Building Fire - Fire in a building that has NOT endangered structural members

Structure Fire - Fire that has impinged on the structural members

Car Fire - Car Fire

Dumpster Fire - Dumpster Fire

And so forth

I don't think anybody is talking about "fluffing their departments. I believe that the question at hand has more to do with the degree of involvement, no matter what's on fire. I don't see any need for a comment like that.. Let's keep this thread heading in a positive direction.

Nuff Said.

Just the fact that there is so much discussion on this topic shows that we all don't go to "enough" working fires. Otherwise it would be pretty clear. I agree that enough was said on this and we all should move on. With any luck, I will get to post one tonight. :lol:

JVC

Sooo if there is extension other than the grill in your opinion is it considered a working fire? Also ,I didn't get to update the incident alert. There was minor extension and the fire started from an electrical problem in the grill with a smoke condition in the building. I was only going off what I was getting of the radio transmissions. 104 I don't think you are picking but do you ever have anything positive to say?

First of all, I do have alot of positve things to say. So there is that answer to your question x134 and who are you to ask me that anyway? If you were only going by what they were saying on the radio then wait to make your post!!! I do not think a grill fire is a working fire, Thats my opinion.

Edited by jack10562
Sorry, but this thread is going in the wrong direction, fellas.

Just for everyone's reference, posted below are the links for guidelines for ALL Incident Alerts. There is some wiggle room for interpretation, but don't push it. If you have a question, ask someone about its appropriateness (in other words if its worth posting).

If you have a doubt, then don't post it.

Acceptable Types of IA's

Incident Alert Posting Guidelines

Info for IA Writers - Forum

I hope these links help you out. Remember, most of you guys are posting very well, others just need a little fine tuning!!