Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monty

2nd Hudson rescue off Ossining in a week

6 posts in this topic

Interesting story at http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008806250342 - don't who ossiningguy is that left the comment - but seems like he might have a chip on his shoulder ....

OSSINING - A 73-year-old fisherman was plucked from a sinking boat in the Hudson River yesterday, the second boat rescue in a week off the Ossining shoreline.

Robert Toub, a village resident who's been fishing the Hudson for 56 years, said this was his first near-catastrophe. He ventured into the river at 6 a.m., he said, as he does every day. About three hours later, water started gushing into his small, metal fishing vessel and his pump stopped working.

Reddy and fellow firefighter Todd Faiella again commandeered a boat from Westerly Marina - the department's fireboat remains out of commission. Dennis Demarchis, son of Westerly's owner, joined them on the rescue mission.

Fire Chief Fred Steneck said the two incidents show the importance of the Fire Department having its own fireboat. The village sought bids for a new, $478,000 vessel in January, he said, but the village board has yet to approve the funding.

"I'm going to the July 8 meeting to pitch it again and find out what they're going to do," the chief said. "For the safety of the people that live in Ossining, visit Ossining and use the river for their recreation, we're pretty much unprotected in our area."

ossiningguy wrote:

In case you are wondering, Ossining has a fire/rescue boat. It is sitting on a trailer on land. Why is it on land? Perhaps the fact that the FD wants a new half million dollar boat has something to do with it ......

I don't exactly agree with the statement that they are unprotected in Ossining's waterfront. There are a number of boats on the water and available rather quickly, that statement sounds like plain old politics! How many boats does the county need to facilitate an adequate response along the Hudson River? More than we have already?

Does anyone remember what happened with the first OFD marine-unit delivery?

Does anyone remember what happened with the first OFD marine-unit delivery?

Was it the one that sank at the dock? :blink:

Mike

Mike

I thought that was a little north of Ossining

Mike

I thought that was a little north of Ossining

It was North alright Verplanck sank at the dock and we got a newer boat now