Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NYC Waterfalls- Anyone Going?

7 posts in this topic

Anyone going to see the "Waterfalls" in NYC? I think it's a cool public arts display. Especially the waterfall of the Brooklyn Bridge.

http://www.nycwaterfalls.org/

Feel free to share your photos here!

Anyone going to see the "Waterfalls" in NYC? I think it's a cool public arts display. Especially the waterfall of the Brooklyn Bridge.

http://www.nycwaterfalls.org/

Feel free to share your photos here!

I personally thinki ts a waste of 15 million dollars :blink:

I agree, good thing NYC has the lowest paid metropolitan police dept, a not too far behind FD, a collapsing economy, nowhere near affordable housing being offered, and more and more luxury living high rises but hey we will give you water falls... LOL, but I will probably check them out.

art is in the eye of the beholder. i like the simplicity of 'art,' although i do love to look at architecture...but i think it's called architecture and not art for a reason. if i wanted to see decending water i'd prefer to go to a waterfall hidden in the catskills

This arts project was privately funded.

No matter what else is going on, art is an important to the millions in NYC who appreciate it. Saying that it's a waste of money is the same thing as saying that we should close the Met, or the Botanical Gardens, etc. Art opens up minds, brings people together, and provides entertainment. It also brings in money to NYC with the thousands expected to visit the city to see the waterfalls. Hotels, resturants, etc will all benefit, and the "trickle down" effect will be beneficial.

Yes, NYC does pay ridiculously low wages to it's cops and firefighters, an issue that I'm empathetic with....however, one doesn't have anything to do with the other. Until you have an administration in City Hall who views public servants for what they're worth instead of just costs, or their is a massive PR campaign by the Unions during election time, nothing is going to happen. If the Police Officers and Firefighters feel strongly that this arts project affects their salary, then they should protest and make the public aware. Or, change the law so that the city can take public donations to supplement their salary.

Was out on a cruise around manhattan last night. Saw a bunch of the waterfalls. Really cool looking. Didn't know what they were for, but know now.

I am probably going one day with the kid and wife cause I appreciate things like that! I also don't see it as a waste of money. I personally enjoy things such as this that are done to attract tourists to the city. This will make the city much more than the 15 mil spent by attracting people from all over to spend their money...so think next time! I got to see the Chiully glass sculptures at the NY Botanical Gdns in the Bronx, awesome exhibit! Also, the flags in Central Park were an awesome exhibit and attracted millions!

Now in the NY Botanical Gardens on display: Moore in America! Sculptures by the famous sculptor are on display throughout the gardens and their is a photography contest involving members of the garden. The grand prize is some sort of magazine spread.

Oh and don't forget to go see: Madagascar! At the Bronx Zoo...this display is what they have been renovating the old Lion House for. Supposedly another great exhibit, haven't been able to get down there, it just opened last week!

Edited by Oswegowind