Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ENG47INE

Hastings FD Drafting Drill

11 posts in this topic

Just curious. Does drafting from sources like the Hudson river require any extra maintinence to the engines due to the salt water?

Just curious. Does drafting from sources like the Hudson river require any extra maintinence to the engines due to the salt water?

This may help. River or not?

Both are correct. It's a true river, having a fresh-water source. It's also a tidal estuary in its lower stretch with a counterflow of salt water. But up to Troy? Not nearly, the salt water line rarely goes north of Poughkeepsie, IIRC.

The lower 3 feet of the Hudson River IS salt water all the way up to the port of Albany-Rensselaer. Salt water is heavier than fresh water which is

Also check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_River

Great photos!!!

After drafting salt water just rinse the pump out with fresh water..

All that was done last night was run hydrant water through the tank after the drill was done.

After drafting you should always remove any strainers and BACK FLUSH the tank and pump. That's the best way to free up anything that may be jammed into the piping, etc.

What is the advantage of having two suction connections into the water source?

I would think the pump would be able to achieve it's total rated capacity through one large-diameter hard suction.

most pumps can usually get enough water through one suction. i know that our source pumper with a 2000 gpm pump, unless we have a perfect water source, meaning very deep, and not to far from the water source, it would take two suctions to achieve 2000 gpm

The Hudson is what is known as Brackish water. Not salt but not fresh.

What is the advantage of having two suction connections into the water source?

I would think the pump would be able to achieve it's total rated capacity through one large-diameter hard suction.

Having spent a few minutes online looking for some info - I believe (NFPA?) ratings require one hard suction for the rated amount - but that is in perfect or near perfect conditions to achieve that.

I recall seeing an article (by Larry Davis?) comparing the advantage of running 6" hard suction and a second (even a 3") hard suction. It made quite a difference.

It's a little bit like comparing a dual 3" lay to a single 3" lay - you're splitting the volume between two hoses as opposed to one - so the friction loss will be less because the GPM in each hose is half the total. That should mean the pump has to work less for the same amount of GPM and working as hard - produce a higher GPM.

Now I'm thinking I need to go to MacDonalds and get me a milk shake. Try sucking through one straw - then try sucking through two straws and see if there is any difference :P:rolleyes:

Makes perfectly good sense. The only problem I could see, is that it may take longer to get prime with 2 large diameter suctions. If you're struggling to prime 1 6", 2 is going to much more of a problem.