Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grantnet10

Tarrytown's Department Messages

12 posts in this topic

I feel that toning out for non-emergency traffic like meeting announcements or drill is just pointless and a waste of our valuable limited radio frequencies. I'm sure most if not all active members have e-mail or text messaging.

Today I Heard On The Scanner Tarrytown tone out and say there up coming events and they said that they have a drill at the Tarrytown Fire Traning Center. And I was wondering what it is like and what they have there and were it is.

????? :huh: huh?

It's a longstanding and common practice for local departments to send out a alert / page to members to remind them of a drill or work detail.

It's hardly a "waste" it's not like the radio waves got used up and now nobody can use them...

The county's new trunked radio system has moved the bulk of radio traffic off low band frequencies, so it's not like they stepped on anyone's toes by transmitting what, a 20 second message?....

FYI

Tarrytown operates on it's own frequency so they are the only ones on it. Just like Hastings & Ardsley.

I feel that toning out for non-emergency traffic like meeting announcements or drill is just pointless and a waste of our valuable limited radio frequencies. I'm sure most if not all active members have e-mail or text messaging.

Valuable limited frequencies? TFD is on their own freq. the only one in Westchester on it, so it is not like they are stepping on anyone else in the County. I could go on about FD private freq's but that is for another thread, another day, not to get off topic.

FYI

Tarrytown operates on it's own frequency so they are the only ones on it. Just like Hastings & Ardsley.

And eleven other Westchester FD's.

Sounds like a good discussion to me Steve. Pop it up on another thread brother.

And yes I do understand in some regards as to what the brother is mentioning about toning out and such. When 46.26 was at its hay day there often were times where some agencies would put out messages at the most inopertune times. Occassionally still does happen but that can be alleviated with a simple phone call to 60 control prior to doing it.

As far as Tarrytown's case..bad example being they are on their own frequency. But hey sometimes people in their own departments don't even understand their system. In one of my departments I had a fellow member come into the room to tell me he couldn't put out the message at our slotted message time due to our county dispatch said to hold off due to radio traffic. So I asked him what radio traffic being we have our own frequency. He had a blank stare for several minutes and then said well control said not to do it. I told him I sure they did, and asked him if he heard any radio traffic and he said no...I asked him if we had any calls going..he said no...so I then sent the message. I'm not sure if he still understands...lol.

????? :huh: huh?

It's a longstanding and common practice for local departments to send out a alert / page to members to remind them of a drill or work detail.

It's hardly a "waste" it's not like the radio waves got used up and now nobody can use them...

The county's new trunked radio system has moved the bulk of radio traffic off low band frequencies, so it's not like they stepped on anyone's toes by transmitting what, a 20 second message?....

Sorry Jack. I have to disagree. I am sure almost all departments have access to a computer and the internet. I am very sure that most members have a phone that receives data ( email ). Why tie up the frequency for any amount of time? It is bad enough that several departments and 60 Control step all over each other to page out for emergencies, but in the middle of it all you have someone sending out tones for non emergency messages.

Tarrytown operates off of the highway frequency to tone out the members. they can then switch to fire ground and can operate off the trunk 14 radio system.

The fire Department Fire Training center is a piece of land between the boat clubs along the river.

While we all strayed off the original topic I do agree that all it takes is a simple call to 60(if your doing it off of 46.26) to see if they think the time is right for a message of that sort, if its busy they will say so.

Back to the original topic what kind of training are they capable of doing at the place??

Sorry Jack. I have to disagree. I am sure almost all departments have access to a computer and the internet. I am very sure that most members have a phone that receives data ( email ). Why tie up the frequency for any amount of time? It is bad enough that several departments and 60 Control step all over each other to page out for emergencies, but in the middle of it all you have someone sending out tones for non emergency messages.

BUT, WCDES636, in my department, not all of our members are willing to pay for text messages on their cell phones, and some have "company isued units" through their empoyers, and are not allowed to use the text feature on their phones. It costs the owner of the individual phone for every text message. Using the radio works well. I personally like to use both. But as as previously stated in this thread, a call to 60 control will determine whether the fequency is free for an announcement. I have made many such calls myself.

..... Why tie up the frequency for any amount of time? ......

I agree that with shared-use frequencies people do step on each other, and sometimes its a cluster... crazy....

Turns out that theirs is a private-use channel, they are simply using their own available resources.

My department still put out messages over the air i think its good for everybody who doesn't have email or text messaging