Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Inconsiderate?

9 posts in this topic

Recently, in my travels, I passed by this hybrid hotel/apartment building several times. I noticed that many people were using the fire road entrance for daytime and overnight parking.

This "fire lane", after discussion with the FF's who cover this area, was put into place so that a ladder truck and engine could access remote parts of this large residential complex. for rescue and suppresion purposes The complex has been repeatedly citied. I do note that it should be made more clear that no parking is allowed, maybe paint something on the gate or post bigger signs.

I don't know why, but this struck a nerve. These people should know that it's a fire lane based on the signs and painted curb. The reason the gate is removed from the road is so the fire apparatus could pull in, out of traffic, and unlock the gate. From what I was told, for any alarms in this portion of the complex, it is SOP for the first due truck to gain access via this road, and they routinely do so for automatic alarms and even EMS calls.

However, by their ignorant actions, they clearly don't care about the lives and property that they are putting at risk because they don't feel like walking an extra couple of feet to the parking lot.

This is why having a chrome bumper isn't always a good thing.

Is it just me, or are these actions inconsiderate?

(Note this truck sat there for several hours, with the owner nowhere to be found.)

post-11-1215901891.jpg

It's Rude, inconsiderate, and if not already, illegal!!!! Any vehicles parked there should be towed away at the vehicle owners' expense! If a contractor needs access to that section of the building arragements MUST be made in advance!

Inconsiderate is one way to put it, Lazy is another, or as the world is now a days the me and I am entitled to everything world.

This is just another example of peoples laziness.

The same thing happens in Katonah all the time in front of the Post Office , at the A&P shopping Center all areas are marked, with signs and paint all ignored. We have been at alarms in these locations we park there, and people will nose in or pull right up to rigs and then if we say anything to them they get insulted tell us off the whole boat. Cops have ticketed them an all still keeps happening.

And people are supposed to move over for red lights and a siren too. lol

Recently, I am parked in front of a commercial building in a clearly marked F.D SUV with bright flashing lights on for a call and I had to tell 3 drivers to remove their vehicle from the fire lane (1 delivery truck, 1 commercial van and a passenger car). Even with an official vehicle, on official business, on-site they still do it. Our Fire Police were recently given powers to issue tickets at incidents for instances such as this. There is very little appreciation or consideration for emergency responders today. Not to mention my pet peeve of going on a commercial fire alarm response and everyone in the store is still shopping away....

hook it

I'd have the PD tow it and give it to the Mythbusters to destroy! :lol:

Mike

While it is a nuisance and annoying the most important thing is to recognize buildings/structures in your area that have chronic problems with such situations and have back up plans in the event there is a major incident and the vehicle cannot me immediately moved. You can write tickets all day long, and tow cars...it might get better for a while but you can't sit on it 24/7. Just making note of it, getting aggravated by it and then hoping that some enforcement will solve the problem will get you nowhere.

doesn sound like a good place for a stout steel painted bumper, and maybe distribute flyers to the targeted ares " any and all vehicles parked in fire lanes or designated areas will be ticketed towed and in the even of an actual emergency at this location, rammed out of the way by first arriving units"