Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
afd65

Best Brand Of Fire Trucks?

59 posts in this topic

who does every1 think makes the best firetrucks meaning ladders engines tankers rescues and the most imporant chiefs cars. and who do u think has these in westchester county?

As my captain, Remember585, once said;

M

A

C

K

MACK, MACK, MACK!

Unfortunatley, they aren't making them anymore. I don't know firsthand (yet,) but I hear nothing but good things about Seagrave. Hell, if FDNY uses them, they can't be that bad!!

SEAGRAVE, SEAGRAVE, SEAGRAVE!!!!!

They're built to last!

I don't claim to know anything about Trucks other than how nice they look. And always thought Seagrave was the best available. But, I play softball in a FDNY league and all of those guys absolutely hate their Seagraves (rivets are the major problem I hear).

That being said, I don’t know how any other brand of apparatus would take the beaten FDNY gives those trucks. So, I would probably look at them first if I were looking to spec out a new apparatus.

Furthermore, I thing it has a lot to do with how the truck is spec'd. If you don’t spell everything out the way you want it, every manufacturer will cut corners to save cost.

And I think Excelsior is a Seagrave dealer in Westchester (A 119 guy can help me there)

Good Luck

I don't claim to be an expert, but I gather that E-One has come a very long way and is tough to beat. I understand that Pierce is another "premium" maker.

The Best (Current) = American LaFrance, E-One, Smeal, Seagrave, Pierce

The Worst (Current) = Sutphen, Ferrara, KME

The Best (Former) = Mack and Ward LaFrance

The Worst (Former) = Continential/Compac (HORRIBLE !!!!)

who has the nicest trucks, engines rescues and chief cars in the county

who has the nicest trucks, engines rescues and chief cars in the county

Not to toot my own horn, but E119 is one of the nicest engines in the county. If I had to pick the best in all categories, I'd say

Engine: E119 (Croton) or E61 (Port Chester)

Truck: Practical: L47(North White Plains); Best Looking: TL57 (Bedford Hills)

Rescue:15(Mt. Kisco) or 51(Montrose)

Chiefs car:2533(Yorktown)

Tanker:Practical T16(Somers) or T10(Croton) Best Looking:T15(Millwood)

<------ I think my pic says it all! :D

Engine 130 - Peekskill FD

2000 E-One Cyclone II

Custom Pumper

I think Hartsdale TL 15 looks cool...

i think tl57 is one of the nicest trucks in the county as far as tankers the one from somers don't remember the # of it. engines o really like a lot of the ones in the county but my favorite is e-165 also the best rescue i think is rescue 3 from fairview. chiefs car would be from yorktown or verplank.

Somers is Tanker 16

I like our E-61 and TL-2 here in Port Chester

Croton Tanker-10 is nice as well as Bedford Hills TL-57

And the new Somers Engine...i forget which #

Why Gowans Knight, Of Course!!!!!

All types of apparatus seem to getting better over time but still a lot of what you get is what your department spec's out and who the manufacturer is. If you don't have both of these goin right for ya, you're not going to end up happy with whatever rig you get!

All types of apparatus seem to getting better over time but still a lot of what you get is what your department spec's out and who the manufacturer is.  If you don't have both of these goin right for ya, you're not going to end up happy with whatever rig you get!

=D> Amen! Truer words have ne're been said! =D> =D> =D> =D>

And the new Somers Engine...i forget which #

I think it's E185

The new NRFD E22 looks like a nice rig. Once that is fully equipped with the squad gear, it should be one hot engine. Keep in mind though, it's not just the looks that make the firetruck. I can have a rig all "blinged" out in gold leaf, chrome, etc, but if the equiptment isn't there, or if it doesn't preform its assigned task, then i wouldn't consider it a good rig.

Although some of the personnel in the FDNY didn't like the ALF that was donated after 9-11, but i'd take that before i'd take the pieces of crap Ferrara HP pumpers now being used. The problems I find with the Seagrave is that there is not much storage space on the Squads. Other than that.......they're rugged as hell. As far as specs of a rig go...the more so called "special features" you get on a rig...the more things to go wrong.

Sorry, but E-11 (Harrison) is the best in this county, flat out. No one makes a rig like the Mack CF/Ward Lafrance combo. As for others I'd go with TL 57 as best looking/functional truck. Lastly, Yonkers R-1 has, in my opinion, the best looks and funtionality. Come on, onboard haz-mat workstation?

Anyone have any pics of the Ferrara's?

I happen to like Mack and Seagrave myself, but E-One and Pierce seem to be popular around the area.

seagrave is one of the best

Sq288_HM1,

Why dont the guys like Ferrara engines? Did they like the Mack engines better than the Seagraves? Any idea if FDNY is going to be going with any other manufacturer other than Seagrave in the near or extended future?

There's been talk about Ferarra coming into the city for the new Satellites and possibly being spec'ed out for rear mounts.

The Ferrara are just junk....guys don't like the apparatus.....i've never driven one so I can't pass judgement. As far as Macks go....I personally love em......those bad boys were made tough as the slogan goes. I personally like getting a spare rig just so I can ride on em.....the kid in me I guess. Ferrara has been awarded the bid for 5 Satellite rigs.....Satellites 2-6. There is a new Ferrara Collapse unit on order with a Mack/MR chassis, a new Ferrara HazMat Rig to replace the Mack MR/Saulsbury has also been ordered......the rig should be bigger than the current HM1. Also, 2 new units called Rebreather mask transports are on order...due in shortly....they are being built by LDV on Freightliner Chassis. Seagrave has been awarded the contract for 2 100' tillers, 15 100' rearmounts and 11 75ft Tower Ladders...no 95' Tower Ladders are speced at this time.

Intersting timing...I was just in Manhattan yesterday, and I was talking to a FF on 26 Engine. I asked him if he liked the Ferrara or the Seagrave better. His words exactly "The Seagraves are much better. There is no room inside the Ferraras. You can't get your equiptment on without hitting the guy sitting accross from you." Long live Seagrave!!

BEST LOOKING

ENIGNE38 MAMARONECK GOTTA LOVE THE LOW PRO DESIGN

e61 look hideous with that thing on the roof if ne1 had taken a good look at the truck

BEST LADDDER LADDER 31 CANT GO WRONG WITH THE CLASSIC SEAGRAVE TILLER

E38 is a very nice looking engine, even though it is green. (at least it's a respectable green, not like E120). That "thing" on E61 is a light tower. I personally don't think it looks too bad. Plus, scene lighting is important. PCFD is probably one of the few departments that have tower lights on more than one piece of apparatus. L31 is a nice truck, but it's too big. You have to wait for 2 people qualified to operate it to respond. Yeah, it's true, you can lock the rear axle straight, but you can't tell me that it will make it out of that firehouse with the rear axles locked. Remember, it's not all about looks. The rig has to be practical enough to use as needed. I still maintain my theory that L47 is exactly what most departments should need. No more, no less.