Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reliance

Coverage area.

11 posts in this topic

I am just wondering how big some territories are.

Ours in Nova Scotia, Canada is 293 square miles or 180 square kilometers out of one fire station with 3 pumpers, 2 tankers, 1 platform, 1 Rescue, 2 utilities, 1 support trailer and one HAZ MAT trailer.

The first out pumper is manned by two career firefighters and then if needed the volunteers are paged out. The two career firefighters handle about 80% of the 400+ calls a year without the aid of the volunteers.

http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/YarmouthNSCA website

I think you did some math wrong. A square mile is bigger than a square kilometer. 180 sq. km = 69.5 sq. mi. Still a huge area to cover with one house.

Damn, I'm all for supporting regional services as opposed to individual town departments...but 70 miles with one station? Unless the area you cover has more moose than people, that seems like asking for trouble.

Damn, I'm all for supporting regional services as opposed to individual town departments...but 70 miles with one station? Unless the area you cover has more moose than people, that seems like asking for trouble.

I am just wondering how big some territories are.

Ours in Nova Scotia, Canada is 183 square kilometers out of one fire station with 3 pumpers, 2 tankers, 1 platform, 1 Rescue, 2 utilities, 1 support trailer and one HAZ MAT trailer.

The first out pumper is manned by two career firefighters and then if needed the volunteers are paged out. The two career firefighters handle about 80% of the 400+ calls a year without the aid of the volunteers.

http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/YarmouthNSCA website

Revised figures.

70 sq miles isn't that big...... A 10 mile long by 7 mile wide district is very reasonable in rural areas... Especially with a sub-station or two.

70 sq miles isn't that big...... A 10 mile long by 7 mile wide district is very reasonable in rural areas... Especially with a sub-station or two.

There are no substations only one main station.

Measured by car. It is 12 KMs across & 25 kms down for an area of approximately 300 square kilometers or 115.8 square miles.

Edited by Reliance

And I thought we had it bad 6 sq. miles with five independent 100% volunteer stations...LOL .

My city is roughly 20,000 pop., covering 6 sq. miles divided by a river. Approximately 2/3 on east side of river 1/3 on west side.

West side

Company 1 - one engine

Company 4 - one engine

East side

Company 3 - one engine, one squad/support

Company 5 - one engine, FM office

Company 6 - one engine, one tower ladder (downtown)

Chief's office located at city public works facility

Cogs

we got 32 square miles with 2 highways (CT RT4 and CT RT8). We have two departments yes two seperate DEPTs not companys, one in the dead center of town and one off to the west side of town. Center dept has 3 engines a tanker and brush truck. the west side has an engine, rescue, tanker, utility and brush truck

Where I'm an explorer at:

Apparatus: 2 engines (1 reserve), 1 engine/tanker (NOT ENG-TANKER), 1 Tower Ladder, 1 Rescue-Engine, 1 Scuba Truck, 2 boats, 2 Ambulances, 1 Command Vehicle, and 1 Army Surplus box truck

Area: 16.40 Square miles.

Population: 16,200

Stations: 1 HQ station staffed 24/7 and 1 sub-station staffed when allowed.

Personnel: 27 Full Time, 17 Paid-on-call.

Good luck finding us. :P

Mike

Yorktown Heights -

apparatus - 4 engines (1 rescue engine/FAST truck), 1 ladder, 1 rescue, 1 tanker, 1 brush truck, 1 dive rescue / swift water rescue trailer

area - 36.2 sq. mi., Taconic State Parkway runs directly through north and south, for 6 miles. The south end of our district is covered by 2/3 water in the croton watershed and has no water mains or hydrants.

Stations - HQ: E-273 L-51, R-16 T-14

Sta 2: E-270, E-271, E-275, MA-8, Dive trailer

population - approx. 32,000

staffing - 100% volunteer

call volume - roughly 600 calls per year (fire only, no EMS)

www.yorktownfire.org

Edited by EMSJunkie712

New Canaan, CT

We protect an area of 22.5 sq. mi. with a Population of 22,000. The Merritt Parkway runs through the South side of town (Exits 36 to 38). New Canaan is Bordered by 6 Towns/Cities... Norwalk, Stamford, Wilton, Darien, Vista, NY, And Pound Ridge, NY. Only 40% of the town has hydrants.

We have 24 career firefighters, 1 career Asst. Chief, and 30 Volunteer firefighters. We have one station located in the center of town , staffed 24 hrs. a day with 6 career firefighters. We run 3 Engines, 1 Ladder, 1 Tanker, 1 Rescue, and 1 Utility truck.

Call volume - around 1100 a year (all fire).