Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Child from 7/29/08 Morning MVA in Cortlandt Has Died

14 posts in this topic

CORTLANDT — A 5-year-old Cortlandt boy died as a result of a single-car accident this morning at Watch Hill Road and Crosby Court.

Article

just a horrific situation

Edited by vacguy

It was a rough call to say the least. Montrose FD was doing CPR prior to the arrival of EMS, and despite the heroic efforts of EVERYONE INVOLVED, God has once again taken a life far too early.

Hug your kids and tell them you love them!!!

I did just that as soon as I got home! Remember585 thanks for your help. I thought it was hard seeing something like that, but what made it harder was the fact that i knew the family. My thoughts and prayers go to them in this time of need.

Very sad couple of days in our area. Great effort by all involved from Montrose FD, Cortlandt VAC and Peekskill FD ALS.

Nothing stirs you more as a parent..than the thought of losing your own and your heart goes out to the other parents.

I did just that as soon as I got home! Remember585 thanks for your help. I thought it was hard seeing something like that, but what made it harder was the fact that i knew the family. My thoughts and prayers go to them in this time of need.

No need to thank me bro. I heard the FD dispatch, then the updates, and decided to go up in case I could be of any use. Just wish the end result was better...

First of all my condolences go out to the family..

I read in one of the articles that they believe the 5yr old broke his neck, as an EMT it looks to me from the pictures that the vehicle didnt hit that hard to cause a whiplash effect that should have broken his neck.

Does anyone else have experience with this type of tramatic injury in what appears to be a fairly simple accident?

First of all my condolences go out to the family..

I read in one of the articles that they believe the 5yr old broke his neck, as an EMT it looks to me from the pictures that the vehicle didnt hit that hard to cause a whiplash effect that should have broken his neck.

Does anyone else have experience with this type of tramatic injury in what appears to be a fairly simple accident?

a 5 y/o olds vertbra and bones aren't fully developed, so it takes less force to do more damage. other than that, i wound't know.

Also consider the size of a childs head in relation to their body. That combined with the brittle nature of their aforementioned undeveloped skeletal system makes them vulnerable to this type of injury, but still it is rare. Would be helpful to see an autopsy report but I think I'll pass and just pray for the family.

The description given by the witness is of a loud bang. No mention of screeching tires. If mom was distracted and didn't see the wall, a 4' stone wall could be enough to stop that vehicle dead in its tracks. Unless the child was strapped in like he was prepared for a space launch a little bit of slack goes a long way towards exacerbating an injury. Combined with a large head to body ratio its increasingly likely that impact could cause a spinal fracture.

In a somewhat related train of thought, in an incident like this were you have a traumatic cardiac arrest without penetrating trauma who here puts on the defib or therapy cables?

The accident is still under investigation by the NYSP and if it concerns you to know the exact cause of death please call them. Please for the rest of us who were on scene and working our butts off to save that beautiful little boy don't speculate. Thanks.

The accident is still under investigation by the NYSP and if it concerns you to know the exact cause of death please call them. Please for the rest of us who were on scene and working our butts off to save that beautiful little boy don't speculate. Thanks.

Chiefmcfuz,

I was not looking for any Monday Morning QB when I asked the question, Just facts from other members who have seen more than I have on calls.. I agree speculation on this case and any other should be avoided.

No offense should be taken from the question, this site is here to assist all of us in seeing how the job gets done and learn from how they did it. The experience of others is what help the rest of us get better at it.

I am sure you and any other member on scene did 110% to help this boy. It is a sad situation.

Stuart

If you want to talk about experience you can find me anytime just look for the truck that says 2272 on the license plate. No offense was taken however, keep in mind the news is rarely correct.

That is the sadest thing I have ever heard. It really hits home being that I am a new mom. It really makes you think and cherish what you have...My heart goes out to the family.