Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Engine1

Family Sues Over Fatal Fire Truck Crash

10 posts in this topic

News4New York

Family Sues Over Fatal Fire Truck Crash

POSTED: 10:19 pm EDT July 30, 2008

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- Relatives of two women who died after their car collided with a Bridgeport fire truck last year are suing the city and the truck's driver for alleged negligence

http://www.wnbc.com/news/17044694/detail.h...l=headlineclick

Edited by jack10562
Source Site Copyright - EMTBravo Posting Policy

"Alleged Negligence"

$15,000 in damages?

Missing any Zeros?

"Alleged Negligence"

$15,000 in damages?

Missing any Zeros?

My guess is 3 ....

Lets hope that they a not missing any zero's but in todays society I would not be surprised if it was missing the aforementioned three zeros.

How come they didn't add the trucks manufacturer, the mechanic who services the truck or the people involved in the alarm they were responding to.

Does this mean if I get hurt on someones property while at an alarm or even while responding I can sue too??

The most famous and used words these days in the enlish language "I'll Sue."

Way too many lawyers in this world.

How come they didn't add the trucks manufacturer, the mechanic who services the truck or the people involved in the alarm they were responding to.

Does this mean if I get hurt on someones property while at an alarm or even while responding I can sue too??

The most famous and used words these days in the enlish language "I'll Sue."

Way too many lawyers in this world.

These days EVERYONE's middle name is SUE, and they have the Law Offices of Dewey, Screwum and Howe on retainer.. :o

If it is really $15,000 the City will settle out of court in a heart beat.

I found a news article that was on Firehouse.com about the accident. Now take it from where its coming from but they reported that the operator of the engine slowed down before proceding thru the intersection. Maybe its just me but when I have a green light or no stop sign I might take my foot off the gas and hover over the brake but I usually don't slow down enough that it would be noticed. Of course I'm usually not flying either. Now in NJ, and for the sake of arguement I assume in CTand NY, the law states you must come to a complete stop before you procede if you are facing a red light or a stop sign. Did the fire apparatus have a red light or stop sign....hard to tell. In the news article a witness reported that heard the siren and couldn't believe the lady proceded thru the intersection. Maybe she didn't hear the siren but if she had a green light or no stop sign it would appear the she might not be at fault. Now keep in mind that this all comes from a newspaper, hardly the most accurate source of information. But also keep in mind that some is at fault and most courts will find for the plantiff because emergency vehicle operator is supposed to have control over their vehicle at all times. If the lady blew a red light or a stop sign and was struck by any vehicle, case closed, do not collect any money. If the apparatus slowed down but did not stop and went thru a red light or stop sign.....well that can be a problem.

I can't understand how any emergency vehicle operator can not stop or not even slow down when faced with a red light or stop sign. It would be sheer luck that another vehicle did not come thru the intersection at the same time.

Even if have't been to Mike Wilbur class or lecture on emergency vehicle operations it is highly recommended. It's very sobering.

The truck was responding out of headquarters and the intersection in question is about four blocks north of the station. The car that the truck struck not only failed to yield the right of way to the fire apparatus, but also blew through a red light at the intersection crossing its path and past other cars that were yielding to the emergency apparatus. It was by understanding that the truck was already committed in the intersection when the car blew through the red light on its side and was then struck. The accident report summary is available to public view.

The truck was responding out of headquarters and the intersection in question is about four blocks north of the station. The car that the truck struck not only failed to yield the right of way to the fire apparatus, but also blew through a red light at the intersection crossing its path and past other cars that were yielding to the emergency apparatus. It was by understanding that the truck was already committed in the intersection when the car blew through the red light on its side and was then struck. The accident report summary is available to public view.

I guess they plantiff's lawyer had time to waste. God knows what the family is trying to get out of this. My initial thought that the lady was confused and wasn't paying attention but I've seen this before. Fifth car in line cannot imagine why traffic is stopped and starts to pass only to get t-bone by an emergency vehicle. Clueless people

I have to make a correction in my last post, the accident was closer to the firehouse than I actually remembered, thanks to some information passed on to me. The intersection where the accident occurred was right out side of the headquarters firehouse, Congress Street and Housatonic Avenue. Now the firehouse is situated at this intersection and the apparatus exit the building to the Congress Street side. Since the bridge going over the river next to the firehouses has been closed for many years, the HQ units have to take a left out of the building toward Housatonic Avenue. Also there are no "blind spots" at the intersection and the only traffic on Congress Street between Housatonic and the river would be from the firehouse.