Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

The Status Of Pleasantville TL-5

17 posts in this topic

TL5 is currently enjoying a long stay in limbo. Most if not all of the truck is enjoying a stay on the sound shore after its long vacation on the other side of the river.

TL-5 Has been OOS since last April. It was at Ruscon til a month ago. Seagrave is going to see if it can be rebuilt and if not it may go by the waste side.

TL-5 Has been OOS since last April. It was at Ruscon til a month ago. Seagrave is going to see if it can be rebuilt and if not it may go by the waste side.

So, if they're not able to repair it, then what would be the plan?

Given that Pleasantville is now completly surrounded by TL's, would a regular rear mount stick be an option? Considering the apparatus is past 15 years old, would repairing it be cost effective compared to purchasing a new aerial?

Hartsdale's TL-15 is of about the same era that TL-5 was manufactured in. I know a ton of money has been continually dumped into major repairs.

Aerialscope's a great product, but it's apparent they have some severe quality control issues.

What exactly is the matter with Tower Ladder 5 and is Pleasantville still using the Maxim mid-mount that I remember them using a few months/a year ago?

What exactly is the matter with Tower Ladder 5 and is Pleasantville still using the Maxim mid-mount that I remember them using a few months/a year ago?

yes they still have the maxim but it is only used as manpower transportation, the ladder failed its aerial test. as for the original TL-5, i have no idea

If the department is surrounded by TRUCKS from other companys why do you guys look into getting one of these LINK

yes they still have the maxim but it is only used as manpower transportation, the ladder failed its aerial test. as for the original TL-5, i have no idea

Maybe a 15 passenger van might be more cost effective. :rolleyes:

Maybe a 15 passenger van might be more cost effective. :rolleyes:

Probably get more gas mileage too! :lol:

Mike

If the department is surrounded by TRUCKS from other companys why do you guys look into getting one of these [/qeuote]

Westchester County is #1.......Last year we were the highest taxed county in the USA. To maintain this status the fire service has made a pledge to only buy the most expensive apparatus they can find. there must be a million dollar tower ladder with no manpower to operate it every mile.

We cant staff it, but since the mutual aid depts cant staff theres either we must own one. The station must have every rigit can fit, so when the community drives by they see all those truck and know they are well protected.

JJB531 likes this

Crimson brought a demo by couple weeks go with a demo. Pleasntville is looking a specs for a new truck. I believe they are oloking at another TL

Edited by ENG47INE

A couple of things here, first the problems with TL-5 were specific to that model. Nearly every one that was produced suffered a similar failure, in fact ours was amongst the last still going without a major overhaul. It isn't an Aerialscope quality control problem as it was a design flaw that has long since been eliminated. The hydraulics on the boom are trashed. At one point the options being evaluated were rebuilding the boom with new guts, mounting a new boom on the truck, or replacing the entire truck.

I'm not involved with the truck committee, nor am I a member of the Hook and Ladder so I don't know the specifics of where they're at our any decisions that have been made. What I do know is...

the current rust bucket is more than just a people mover. It is currently a 25' (somewhere there about) elevated master stream. That ladder is unsafe to operate off of, but the single fly water way is still in service.

There are people that want sticks, tower ladders and ladder towers. As we all know each have their positives and negatives. The major concerns I have heard voiced are as follows. While sticks are rare, who is willing and able to climb them? Sticks are cheaper and more maneuverable. Towers offer a safer work platform and more flexibility. Tower ladders are much stronger and durable. Ladder towers are easier an easier to set up and cheaper than tower ladders. This isn't the be all and end all of the argument, just to point out that all options are being considered.

I personally don't see a boom coming to Pleasantville any time soon mainly because we don't often use our ladder as a waterway. We make a concerted effort to get our truck to the front of the building so we can get the ladder to the roof for ventilation. While it is at the bottom of my "no one cares but me" list I'll bet a ladder tower will be Pleasantville's next big purchase.

you know what someone should look at in Mt. Pleasant, a cascade.

you know what someone should look at in Mt. Pleasant, a cascade.

for financial and practical reasons there really isn't a need when we have north white plains fd, briarcliff fd and the greenburgh civil defense, all of which have the cascade systems, all bordering mt. pleasant.

We cant staff it, but since the mutual aid depts cant staff theres either we must own one.

I really don't think that you should be making a generalized statement like that. There are still departments out there that can staff apparatus even during the day.

Westchester County is #1.......Last year we were the highest taxed county in the USA.

And you think it is because of the volunteer services??? I don't think so!!!! I pay approximately $300 for fire tax and $30 for ambulance service per year for a "volly system". The majority of my $ goes to school taxes.

for financial and practical reasons there really isn't a need when we have north white plains fd, briarcliff fd and the greenburgh civil defense, all of which have the cascade systems, all bordering mt. pleasant.

ok, how does that differ from a ladder in Mt. Pleasant?

So because there's a surplus of ladders in Mt. Pleasnt, Westchetser and all of LI now Pleasantville should pick up a cascade? Ladders are needed on scene at the start of an incident if they are going to be of any use. Between all of the apparatus coming to the party there are plenty of SCBA and spare cylinders to keep you going until the cascade gets there. Cascades are also not used nearly as often as a ladder. Now could you put a mutual aid ladder on you initial assignment and forgo the purchase of your own, sure but that opens up a slew of issues that aren't the subject of this thread.