Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dondestro

Diamond plate!

19 posts in this topic

Trying to figure out the best product to use to clean diamond plate. While we were in Baltimore we picked up a kit from "Chiefs Choice". Although it somewhat cleans the plate it does not make it brighter as it claims it should. I understand mothers polish or somthing of that nature would be the best but the type of plate we have on the truck it has the groves in each tread. Anything that works better, which wont leave a black residue ???? any input would help!

In Dobbs Ferry We used Mothers and depending on how much time you have if you you have the day use a rag if not use a power ball and then once it turns black just wipe it with a rag.

Edited by ENG47INE

The black residue is oxidation. You need an abrasive polish and either a wheel or a few people not afraid of tendonitis in their elbows!

Elbow grease from non-lazy people with mothers polish works the best! :P kidding!!!!!

Edited by HCFRFF

Hey Chris, how many times did u apply the Chief's Choice?? Here in the Hills we got some Chiefs Choice last year and found that applying it twice and using a soft brissle brush to scrub worked pretty good but not as well as Mothers or flitz.. Mothers and Flitz with either some good elbow grease or the use of a polishing ball defiently will help get rid of the oxidation... Hope this helps you out

We use the flitz with the flitz polishing wheel. I like how it turns out.

thanks for everyones input....the problem is we have the new style diamond plate with the little groves in each tred.....mothers will polish but it is almost impossible to get the residue out of the little groves.....i tryed the chiefs choice a few times but it still dosen't impress me much.just gives a good cleaning. we were hopeing it would gget it done as we are a verrrry small company so its hard to find the time to do that among everything else......theres always a nice acidwash hahah

I know on our trucks for chiefs inspection we use mothers and they come out good but you really have to work it in with some elbow grease like everybody else said .

I hate to say it, but do you really think some people are going to give out their "top secret" cleaning solutions during parade season? You may as well ask for the yeti's mailing address! You will get good ideas, but nobody is going to give up their parade winning secrets.....

Edited by EFFP411

EFFP411......I understand its parade season and no some people might not.

I am asking not so much for parades but even for our engine which will never see another parade. After i posted this i thought that to myself, I also went to the firehouse and tested a couple areas with mothers, the engine comes out great the tanker on the other hand has little groves in each tred which all the black gets stuck into and makes it almost impossible to get out, i even tried washing it off with a stiff brush to get it not so much luck. I have a couple more ideas i am going to try out tomorrow but we will see......Thanks to eveyone who gave there input.

I hate to say it, but do you really think some people are going to give out their "top secret" cleaning solutions during parade season? You may as well ask for the yeti's mailing address! You will get good ideas, but nobody is going to give up their parade winning secrets.....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

EFFP411......I understand its parade season and no some people might not.

I am asking not so much for parades but even for our engine which will never see another parade. After i posted this i thought that to myself, I also went to the firehouse and tested a couple areas with mothers, the engine comes out great the tanker on the other hand has little groves in each tred which all the black gets stuck into and makes it almost impossible to get out, i even tried washing it off with a stiff brush to get it not so much luck. I have a couple more ideas i am going to try out tomorrow but we will see......Thanks to eveyone who gave there input.

Trust me, if i had any good ideas for ya, i'd let you in on it, but i have been on the hunt for a while myself with no success. Mothers and elbow grease it is!

Wow I am amazed at this statement thank god we have parade winning secrets when a brother asks for help

Wow I am amazed at this statement thank god we have parade winning secrets when a brother asks for help

I'm just speaking the truth here. If i had any outstanding ideas, i would be more than happy to share, but i don't so oh well. I've just seen how protective some people are about letting others know what they use to shine their pride and joy

ITS COOL.....I DON'T CARE IF ANYONE HAS ANY SECRETS...IT IS what it is!

some people don't care some people do dosen't bother me none..

Thanks to eveyone for you help.