Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Vernon historians upset over sale of fire memorabilia

4 posts in this topic

Mount Vernon historians upset over sale of fire memorabilia

By Hannan Adely • The Journal News • August 2, 2008

MOUNT VERNON

Donna Jackson treasures her new collection of black-and-white photos that includes images of firefighting teams from the late 19th century and an old group picture of firemen in chef garb at a department event.

She bought the collection of loose pictures at a private auction Sunday for $252, hoping to save a last bit of Mount Vernon fire memorabilia for public use. Jackson wished she could have bought more of the collection, which was sold off piece by piece to individual bidders.

FULL STORY: http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...EWS02/808020356

I must have missed this post on the website because of the lack of posts on it, but the City of Mount Vernon should be ashamed of themselves for selling these incredible pieces of firefighting history. Are they that hard up for $ ? Why not donate the collection to a Historical Society or the FASNY Museum ? I am a huge fire department memorabilia collector and bid on at least 30-40 items/lots that a company called The Weiderman Gallery based out of Herkimer, NY resold on ebay. I was fortunate enough to win a few badges and this beautiful FASNY Certificate from 1905. Anyone else from the area save some of this collection from going out of NY State ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320303745286

FASNY DID NOT WANT IT! Was able to get anything that had to do with PORT CHESTER. how you making out with my front end of PATROL 4 you promised me. waiting year and a half, still no answer? :angry: