Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Commute Of NYC FF's And Cops

32 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure the residency requirement is not tied to civil service status. There was no mention of it in any of the exam notices or in the paperwork I signed. I believe its job specific. Many members of EMS live in Pa, Jersey, and way upstate. Hell, chief of EMS lives in Jersey. There are many that are so far out there that they chip in on crash apts or just sleep at the station on the hours between their shifts.

FDNY has repeatedly enforced the residency requirement and has always won in court. The crux of their argument is that you knew about it before you were hired. As long as they insist that its necessary for a potential recall its not going to change until its negotiated by the union.

Pension laws have no restrictions on your residence. The only restrictions there are once you earn a pension in NY your next pension needs to be in another state or federal.

What's the purpose of the residency rule anyway? If it is for a "recall" then all personnel should be required to live within the city limits. if there was a major fire or disaster, how could anyone get to there respective job in any reasonable amount of time to help? Even if you live in New Jersey! What if there was a terrorist attack on one of the bridges or tunnels? The residency rule, if it is enforced, should be to keep emergency personnel close to there job. Nothing else.

Originally they were required to be within the 5 boroughs, but I believe in the early 60's the UFA negotiated a change as part of their contract negotiations that loosened the rules allowing the current nearby counties. I'm sure if they give up a few points on the next contract the city would suddenly be comfortable with ff's living further away.