TR54

24 Die in Westchester Disco Fire - PFP 1974 Photos

16 posts in this topic

Protection From the Past

Date: June 30 1974 - July 1st 1974

Time: Shortly before 1am

Incident: Fatal Fire - 13 Men 11 Women.

*Smoke Killed them All. 24 lives

Most of the 300 persons in the popular Westchester Discotheque were jammed onto the dance floor on the lower level and nearly all ignored a band leaders warning to leave at the first signs of smoke. Seconds later, the dance floor was engulfed in deadly flames.

post-23-1217795223.jpg

Gullivers Deadly Fire 1974

post-23-1217795433.jpg

Many Patients were transported to Grasslands Hospital.

post-23-1217795569.jpg

The Investigation : Focus "early on" was pointed to the fire starting in the Bowling alley. The flames spread to Gullivers Resturant / Disco killing 24 young people.

post-23-1217795933.jpg

Sort of reminds me of the Station Nightclub fire that happened in West Warwick RI. Or the Cocoanut Grove Fire that happened in Boston. Both were packed dance clubs that went up. As is this one.

Mike

Sort of reminds me of the Station Nightclub fire that happened in West Warwick RI. Or the Cocoanut Grove Fire that happened in Boston. Both were packed dance clubs that went up. As is this one.

Mike

This fire rates on a national level as a grim reminder to make Fire Prevention a top priority for the public. Codes and other laws are based on studies from incidents like this one.

More info to follow.

If I remember correctly, it was an exit door on the lower level facing the Byram river that was LOCKED and prevented escape.

ironically, my mother was telling me just a few weeks ago how she and my aunt were supposed to attent the disco, but thankfully other planns deviated their attention to another place. one can only thank The Man upstairs

Was this in Port Chester, I know that it says Port Chester/Greenwich but it is not clear which location it was actually in.

The fire was in Portchester, located about 150 feet from the Connecticut State Line.

Map

They died in the Port Chester side but the buildings went over the line in to GREEWICH also.

The fire was in Portchester, located about 150 feet from the Connecticut State Line.

Map

The fire was right at the H from hillside on your map, more to the right.

ironically, my mother was telling me just a few weeks ago how she and my aunt were supposed to attent the disco, but thankfully other planns deviated their attention to another place. one can only thank The Man upstairs

Yep, my aunt and uncle and grandmother were going there as well, then changed plans.. my dad fought the fire.

They died in the Port Chester side but the buildings went over the line in to GREEWICH also.

Hey Angelo, I'd heard stories over the years that there was actually a "discussion" about whose jurisdiction the fire building was in before the initial alarm was transmitted. Any truth to that? I'd like to think not, but knowing how GFD has operated over the years, it wouldn't surprise me.

If that fire had happened 20 years later, there's a pretty good chance I'd have been there myself. I was known to frequent PC bars just a little over the years!

Edited by fsw1970

Rumor had it that the Ct State investigators kinda moved the state line a few times so that the perp lit the match in Ct and dropped it in NY !!!