Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Elmsford Fire 8-6-08

10 posts in this topic

01:48 Hartsdale Car 2173 added manpower enrt Elmsford Fire Scene.

Did Hartsdale just send a car with manpower, no apparatus? Did this crew consist of volunteer or paid members?

If so, that's an interesting concept. Because, in a lot of cases, all that's really needed is manpower. Sending them in a suburban instead of an engine frees a fire scene of an engine that's probaly not going to be used anyways, and keeps that apparatus available in it's home district (provided there is still enough staffing)

agreed. i've been called with the fd to help pack hose for another fd that has been firefighting and may be tired. we got into an engine and went, but getting a few guys and taking a utility (by utility i mean a pick-up truck/suv, not those "utilities" that have specific rescue tasks) or officers car would have been fine.

Did Hartsdale just send a car with manpower, no apparatus? Did this crew consist of volunteer or paid members?

If so, that's an interesting concept. Because, in a lot of cases, all that's really needed is manpower. Sending them in a suburban instead of an engine frees a fire scene of an engine that's probaly not going to be used anyways, and keeps that apparatus available in it's home district (provided there is still enough staffing)

Seth,

I am glad that you brought up this topic....Last week wilton had a fire that started in the garage and started extending into the house. since wilton is only staffed with six guys, they always request alot of mutual aide. My chief got on scene and relized that they scene was understaffed. 1 wilton engine, 1 wilton tanker, 1 new canaan engine, 1 new canaan tanker. My chief requested more manpower to the scene from a mutual aide department. My assistant chief and myself took the utility into wilton and began firefighting operations.

I guess my point is that an incident commander needs to evaluate the scene, if manpower is needed that call for it. Requesting additional engines and apparatus is often not needed and really backs up the scene. This wilton fire being in a non-hydranted district, it was essential in getting the scene secure and safe. We had to lay alot of LDH to connect to a distant hydrant. I commend the IC of this incident in evaluating the incident and making the appropriate calls. Manpower does not always mean toning out for a second alarm...etc....sometimes it doesnt hurt though. The main problem that we run into is that some departments do not have suburbans etc...I am just wondering if NFPA requires these vehicles? This is a perfect example in which a vehicle of this nature is very needed. Another example is multi car accidents...Crowding scenes is dangerous and needs to be taken into account when requesting additional manpower. This is just my two cents.....

Yes sending a vehicle (Car) with added members is an excellent idea.

I did not monitor if an Engine from Hartsdale responded , therefore I did not want to assume. Even when HFD was released I only heard Car 2173.

Side Note : Sounded like EFD had there hands full , Good job , stay safe.

If anyone can confirm the correct address I would like to update it on the IA. Thanks

I heard the tones go out for this call and I could have sworn that dispatch toned out for a Hartsdale engine but I could be wrong. I was really tired about to go to bed.

Yes I believe Hartsdale did have an engine there and I think it was 170. Also Hawthorne's TL12 was on scene and not listed in the IA.

Yes I believe Hartsdale did have an engine there and I think it was 170. Also Hawthorne's TL12 was on scene and not listed in the IA.

Thanks I will add E-ONE70 and TL-12 to IA - with note -

Agreed that additional engines may tie up the scene if not needed, but when you call for additional manpower, one would assume that whoever is coming to their aid will be adequately equipped. If the staff has their gear and responds in a utility truck or the equivalent, what happens when they get there and they have no SCBA’s with them? Then again, they could always take them off one of the rigs before they leave and throw them into the utility – but then you are taking one of the engines out of service anyway. Same goes for having a TI camera on hand, a ladder or two and other tools that are stored on the engine or other piece of apparatus. Just a couple thoughts.

E-170 went to the scene, later on in the fire car 2173 went to the scene with 2 volunteers as man power once call back members were staffing the spare engine..

E-170 went to the scene, later on in the fire car 2173 went to the scene with 2 volunteers as man power once call back members were staffing the spare engine..

Cool, thanks for the info! Hartsdale has sent additional manpower along as needed in a seperate utility car on various occasions that I can remember, always thought that was a smart concept. (Such as when they responded to the Tornado in Hawthorne- they brought all the tools and manpower in a Suburban.)