Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TCD0415

Roll-up Doors

15 posts in this topic

We are in the process of putting Spec's together for a new Rescue and have the following concern.

Initially we drew up the spec stating that the Roll-up Doors (Robinson Series III) were to be painted along with the rig, but now are getting some feedback that that may not be the best way to go. It is being discussed that we leave the doors the natural unpainted aluminum.

Reasoning behind this is that the road grime gets caught in the Vertical Weatherstripping on each side and over time the movement of the door being opened and closed will scratch the paint and wear it right off eventually....

Has anyone had this occur or have any input on the best way to go with this one ?

Hi TCD

We had Robinson Roll ups installed in our KME Tower Ladder in 2005, all doors were painted. We have had no problems with the doors Scratching as a seal is placed around the door to prevent dirt from entering the compartment. I have noticed that there is some discoloration from those seals rubbing, but it is hardly noticable. Keep in mind that our truck is White and shows just about every partical of dirt that exists on the planet.

Operationally, the doors are great because they don't stick out and we have not had to do anything regarding repairs to these doors. About the only negative I will say about roll ups are the amount of space they take up on the top of the cabinet, we loose about a foot of top space.

Hope that helps

The paint might start to chip or peel at some time. Hopefully the doors are prepped correctly!! If it is repainted, it might not match!! On our rescue an tanker we have rollup doors that where unpainted. So far no problems. Thanks for asking. Good luck.

Edited by DOC22

Bro - We have painted rollup doors on most of our equipment, aside from the most recent purchases. We have noticed that on some of our equipment, the paint is starting to peel away or bubble a bit at the top and bottom of some of the 1" sections on some of the doors. And, painted or not, when dirt and grime gets up under the weatherstripping, the doors are stiff when opening and closing. This can be alleviated by keeping the equipment clean I guess.

Go for the unpainted, anodized aluminum. Less to worry about in the long run. I don't think the paint effects how the doors move over a period of time, as much as improper maintenance (i.e. using something like wd40 to lubricate the doors, instead of dry silicon).

I read in one of the recent fire apparatus publications sitting around at the fire house that un-painted roll-up doors were not encouraged to be used if there is going to be a reflective strip anywhere on it. This is because according to the author of the article, it is difficult to see the reflective strip when its dark outside because the grey of the un-painted door masks the reflection of the strip.

I will try to get the full article, author and publication when I get to the fire house.

Edited by bvfdjc316

If I had to go with a roll-up door I would go with an Amdoor. Amdoor may be a bit more expensive but they are far more durable. In regards to painted vs. non painted I don't know what to say. Either way you look at it your going to get scratches in the door's during the lifetime of the truck. However when you get a scratch in anodized aluminum vs. a painted door, it is much much easier to get out. And at least with a painted door after you buff the scratch out you can repaint it. Worst case scenario on the anodized aluminum finish no matter what roll-up door you go with, you can order a replacemnet slat for the slat that is scratched. I hope this helps you out.

we have anodized aluminum roll up's on 1 of our trucks. They're great for tight spots like road ways. they're not out in the lane the road crap does get stuck in it, 1 reason we didn't get them on are new rescue was the roll up system takes away from the space in the compartment the doors are mounted in so you loose space for tool mounting

Our rescue has painted rollup doors, and the paint is chipped and scratched, The rest of the vehicle looks fine, but those doors just look real bad. My advice? Stay away from painted doors on any apparatus that is gonna do a lot of calls.

Our newest engine has aluminum roll up doors and they have been very good we have had no problems with them

I think the painted roll-up doors look much better.

IMO, I can't stand unpainted doors! (Sorry, just me!)

If you keep the rig clean and proper lube of roll-up doors

you should not have a problem.

Painted or Unpainted all kinds of dirt and grit are

going to get into it. Keep the rig clean and good PM!

We have one rig with painted doors and one with

unpainted doors.

As with any Fire Apparatus HEAVY USE vs. LIGHT USE

things are gonna chip, scratch, etc.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU PAINT THE FIRE ENGINE RED! lol

We have painted roll up doors on our heavy rescue and the majority of our engines in the district. I dont have any real problem with them, they don't appear to be really beaten in. out newest special ops truck has unpainted roll ups and i feel the same way...paint or no paint in my opinion they are better. so much easy to use at car accidents or on those tight side streets. just my opinion though

Thanks everyone for the replies. Will throw it into the blender and see what we come up with. At this time its leaning toward the Unpainted Aluminum. The Rescue is going to be a Non Walk In Type so it will be pretty much "All Doors" all the way around which means almost the entire Box will be unpainted and may look a little funky.... We'll see.

Now lets see.......... Red or Lime Green......................

Kidding, we are traditionally All Red, but I do like the "Black over Red" scheme.

Thanks again.

We have two vehicles with unpainted aluminum roll-ups and report no issues, As far as seeing the reflective tape in the dark, not sure what that meant but if the tape is reflective then when a ligh source hits it it should be seen over what ever the background is, both of our vehicles have the tape over the unpainted doors and they are seen fine. If I knew how to add a photo I could show you the reflective trim over the aluminum at night.

Edited by markmets415

Kidding, we are traditionally All Red, but I do like the "Black over Red" scheme.

It looks good but what a PITA to keep clean! We just went this way and have four units black over red. The tower and new Sqaud (due 1/09) have unpainted roll up doors with black reflective striping. The strip shows up god in the dark and in most daylight pictures. We have no issue with visibility nevermind all the lighting BS. We did add a reflective stripe to the leading edges of all the shelves and roll outs on the new rescue pumper for visibility when the doors are up.

The doors we have now are unpainted ROM and our only issue is with some of the weatherstripping coming off on one of 10 such doors.