Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EFFDCO4

Teen Dies during Football Practice (NJ)

10 posts in this topic

Coaches pushing these teens too hard? Or something else?

2nd N.J. Teen Football Player Dies During Practice A teenage football player has died during practice in New Jersey -- the second such death this week.

MORE DETAILS:

Coaches pushing these teens too hard? Or something else?

2nd N.J. Teen Football Player Dies During Practice A teenage football player has died during practice in New Jersey

Sad. Possibly a hidden congenital defect, possibly premature CVD. I guess the autopsy will tell.

I think we're seeing the tip of the iceberg with kids getting CVD at an early age, due to the crap that they eat and lack of activity that so many have. While this may not be the case with this tragedy, early onset of CVD and type-2 diabetes in kids is pandemic in this country.

I was at Great Escape up at Lake George last week, and I just couldn't believe how many morbidly obese CHILDREN were walking around, shoving cotton candy and all kinds of just into their mouths. Slim kids were a definite minority.

Edited by Stepjam

The 2nd in one week?? It hasn't been that hot has it?

Maybe football has changed ever since I graduated high school. If the coaches even thought it was going to be too hot we ran in the morning the just did run throughs in the afternoon. Was even better when we went at night it was nice and cool.

Maybe football has changed ever since I graduated high school. If the coaches even thought it was going to be too hot we ran in the morning the just did run throughs in the afternoon. Was even better when we went at night it was nice and cool.

Nope it's not like that anymore they run you til' you drop they don't care if it's hot or not I know in carmel it rotates between double and triples every day from the first day of august until the 31st plus there are also camps now too the whole summer it has really changed alot.

Edited by texastom791

This is very sad. An upate was posted in the NJ paper this am. Go to app.com - It stinks that the coaches are being blamed in some of the blogs on app.com. Hopefully they will found out what happened.

I agree Stepjam.

Nope it's not like that anymore they run you til' you drop they don't care if it's hot or not I know in carmel it rotates between double and triples every day from the first day of august until the 31st plus there are also camps now too the whole summer it has really changed alot.

we did 1 week of triples 2 weeks of doubles every year. we had the 1 week camp at the beginning of the summer.. not much has changed. we ran and did sprints regardless of heat or weather. Its what my brothers did in the 70 & 80's and what i did in the 90's and what my nephews do till this day. yeah sometimes its a lil to much but then again we had really good teams. If you think of all the schools with all the players that compete in sports, there are years in between tragic events like this, and almost all of the time these can be tied to pre-existing medical condition.

I know the coachs to push the players hard and expect alot more out of them, but are they doing FULL medical exams on the players. I know when I played it was you HR BP and vision that was it. Do they do blood work and EKG's(if old enough).

The news is reporting that the death in Waldwick was attributted to a congential defect. No other information on the Cliffside Park death. From the picture in the news the Waldwick boy was not fat.

My kid plays in Pop Warner and the coaches provide water breaks every 15 minutes and do not run the kids into the ground. They have a SAED on the practice field. It hasn't been very hot over the latest two weeks but who knows.

The first 2 weeks of camp for us where doubles. never did three a days the school board wouldnt allow it!

Thanks for the info NJmedic. just sad to hear a young life lost during a sport.

I know the coachs to push the players hard and expect alot more out of them, but are they doing FULL medical exams on the players. I know when I played it was you HR BP and vision that was it. Do they do blood work and EKG's(if old enough).

New York State requires that all students who wish to participate in a sport must have a physical done every year. This is a great thing. But as you said, it is usually just HR, BP and vision, no true or thorough orthopedic exam. The rest of their exam is filled with WNLs and checks, followed by the MD's signature. I can say that out of all the medical forms I have gone through, only one or two were completely filled out. Blood work is rarely done.

Whether or not these issues had anything to do with the environment, high schools are not being regulated as they should be with regards to practicing in heat. Or practicing times for that matter. The NCAA has started to regulate college practices especially during preseason. Leaving it up to the school boards who either don't care or don't have the time to worry about it until something bad happens. But I guess the emergency service and public education have a lot in common.