Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CPAGE

Newark NJ New apparatus

31 posts in this topic

Ok here is the first of the new rigs for Newark. This unit should be delivered within the next few days.

Photos are from the LTI/ALF plant.

Thanks to Tomr for share the info on the unit. Newark is awaiting 1 more ladder and 3 engines and a new rescue. I will post them as I get them.

Photo 1

post-1209-1219883356.jpg

Edited by CPAGE

Photo 2

post-1209-1219883536.jpg

Photo 3

post-1209-1219883586.jpg

Photo 4

post-1209-1219883631.jpg

Their apparatus was lime and then they went white? Are they going to red?

Are you sure these are going to Newark.... they're red?

^that was a joke

Newark has changed to red from what I've heard

Are the engines and rescue also going to be ALFs?

I don't care what house it's going to, that thing looks sweet.

Are the engines and rescue also going to be ALFs?

The engines are ALF and the Rescue will be an E-One

That Newark link is quite revealing. What the heck is the reasoning behind all of those color combinations. They look so non conforming. Not that it really matters, but don't you want your fleet to have the same coloring and striping (or at least work towards it)? It seems Newark just makes up color combinations as they go along. Whatever.

If I remember correctly, there was an article in an old FAJ stating that Newark wanted to get away from White over Lime with red stripe back around 2000. So they decided when they bought a new bunch of apparatus then they changed over to white and added the blue stripe. The had also received two ladders shortly there after one being all red with a black reflective stripe and a white over red. The members liked the solid red trucks and the department went with it.

Now I'm only going off what I remember reading from the article and this may not be totally accurate. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Back a year or so ago they refurb L-5 and had it paint all red (1st red rig in 35 years). After L-5 went in service E-12 went out for a referb after a MVC and it was also painted all red. The city then ordered 3 eng's and 2 ladders from ALF all to red, at the same time they had received some loaner units all painted in different colors. But all new apparatus will be the all red paint jobs.

Chris

Back a year or so ago they refurb L-5 and had it paint all red (1st red rig in 35 years). After L-5 went in service E-12 went out for a referb after a MVC and it was also painted all red. The city then ordered 3 eng's and 2 ladders from ALF all to red, at the same time they had received some loaner units all painted in different colors. But all new apparatus will be the all red paint jobs.

Chris

Thanks CPAGE. It just looks so much more impressive with a set standard (not to belittle the actual purpuse of a piece of fire equipment)!!! :P

Also some more info on Newark at one point all new vehicles were all white with a blue stripe all FD / PD/ DPW. The FD still had alot of unit's in the Lime/White paint scheme. That was all changed when the PD went to Black / White paint jobs for all new unit's.

Chris

Did anybody notice that the windows on the doors seem small. Whats that about?

Smaller target for airmail................ :(

I like the red bumper? Anbody now how long they had to wait? or how long it was put on hold? or when it went on the line to be built?

Didn't it (color change) also have something to do with one of the Chiefs seeing Irvington's "new" (ex-Somerville) tiller, which is all red, and deciding that THAT was what a fire truck was supposed to look like? I remember reading that somewhere, but not sure if it's fact, speculation, or humor.

That's ALF's Eagle design. All their cabs are like that.

BEAUTIFUL!! The "fresh" on this truck won't last long in Newark! Thanks for the awesome photos!!

Also an interesting side note, UMDNJ operates an ALF Heavy Rescue. Wonder if that factored into the change from E-One?

That's the ALF Eagle aerial cab ... slightly lower profile as compared to a pumper or rescue model.

That second loaner engine looks an awful lot like Phoenix spec. Wonder how that will work out in a Northeast winter, if it stays around that long, with all that cold air flowing around the motor.

Here's a shot of Newark's Ladder 5 that I shot in Wildwood, NJ at the convention this year.

post-14847-1223338121.jpg