Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Attention Fire Chiefs: Fire Interruption Technology, called the FIT-5!

19 posts in this topic

Would a Fire Chief of each FD give me a call?

Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland, and Fairfield Counties

Fire Interruption Technology, called the FIT-5

Dear Chiefs and District Officers:

As an ex-chief and member of the Mount Sinai Fire Department for over 20 years, I am excited to introduce you to the powerful Fire Interruption Technology, called the FIT-5. The FIT-5 has been in use in Europe and Canada for over ten years and is now being offered to the American Fire Fighting Service. This portable generator deploys a fine aerosol powder that reduces the fire temperature down from over 1,000°F to less than 300°F within 45 seconds, and can help prevent dangerous flash-overs, making a safer environment for us to enter. The FIT-5 simply interrupts the “Fire Triangle” without affecting oxygen levels, thereby, does not harm anyone trapped inside.

We all owe it to our fellow fighters and our community to at least consider the possibility of obtaining these small portable life saving generators. At about 10 pounds each, they can easily be fitted in any emergency response vehicle and ready for immediate deployment by first responding units, making it safer for the engine and truck crew to finish extinguishing the fire and rescuing anyone trapped inside. Just think about the amount of lives and property damage that can be saved just by having a FIT-5 available.

http://www.usfiretech.com/index.html

Firematically,

Brian Lynch, Ex-Chief, Mt. Sinai Fire Department

Telephone: (631) 514-9307

FIT5FIRE@optonline.net

NOTE:

LIVE BURN DEMO

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

11 AM

Connecticut State Fire Academy

34 Perimeter Rd, Windsor Locks, CT 06096

860 627-6363

Edited by RWC130
Edit to One Thread and put into Firefighting & Fire Service Section

This sounds like some great technology for the fire service.

I am looking forward to hearing more about it.

Does anyone here on EMTBravo have this equipment?

We are asking for some assistance in introducing our product to the fire departments that are within the area covered by this forum.

We are in the process of contacting the area fire training academies to attempt to set up live burn training to showcase our product, the FIT-5. See us at http://www.USFireTech.com and http://www.arasafety.com for info.

I have also contacted the administration of this board to set up an advertising campaign.

I am an ex-chief located on Long Island, I find this product to offer, the first on scene precious extra minutes to get an engine on scene and begin flowing water.

Please view our sites.

Brian Lynch

631 514-9307

http://www.usfiretech.com

Remember, support our advertisers as much as you can! They keep this site online and free, along with our generous members who donate each month.

ARA Safety Inc.: Home in Prominent Shelter Island, New York Ablaze; Saved by the FIT-5 Fire Fighting Device

July 2, 2008 2:27 PM EDT

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwire - July 2, 2008) - ARA Safety Inc. -

As the first firefighter to arrive at the Shelter Island, New York house fire, Shelter Island Fire Department First Assistant Fire Chief William Rowland made a decision that likely saved the burning home - he used ARA Safety's FIT-5, a new handheld fire interruption device that quickly knocked down a basement fire and protected the home from potentially being engulfed in flames.

The FIT-5 is gaining recognition as a supplementary tool in aiding fire fighters in challenging interior fires, including basement fires. This is the third FIT-5 deployment over the last seven months in the New York / New Jersey region.

In December 2007, the FIT-5 was credited with saving buildings and lives following a third floor house fire in Port Jervis, New York; and in May 2008, a fire department in West Milford, New Jersey, put out a basement fire by using the FIT-5. Currently, 23 fire departments in the East Coast are equipped to use the FIT-5 to extinguish structure fires, similar to the Shelter Island basement fire.

"Basement fires are uniquely difficult and dangerous to fight. This can be further amplified in areas like Shelter Island where there is limited access to water," said Michael Gardiner, ARA Safety Director of Marketing. "ARA Safety's FIT-5 can be an especially important tool in the toolbox in these circumstances."

At the Shelter Island fire, First Assistant Fire Chief Rowland kicked down the basement door and activated the FIT-5 which emitted a non-toxic aerosol powder that quickly suppressed the basement fire - which originated in an electrical panel - and decreased the amount of water required to fight the fire.

"As the first to respond, I had limited resources and time to extinguish the fire," said Rowland. "The FIT-5 knocked down the fire prevented its spread, and bought five minutes until 32 volunteers from my department arrived at the scene."

Rowland and his volunteers remained at the scene for 1.5 hours and used only 250 gallons of water to fully extinguish the fire as opposed to 750 - 1000 gallons that would have normally been used.

"Without the FIT-5, we would have required at least three more hours to fully extinguish the fire. The FIT-5 saved the home and made interior attack safe," said Rowland.

Brian Lynch, owner of US Fire Tech Corp., the ARA Authorized Dealer that provided the unit to Shelter Island Fire Department said that he is proud to have played a role in protecting a home.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:

US Fire Tech

www.USFireTech.com

(631)514-9307

I remember a long time back, I found while cleaning out a closet in the Ardsley Firehouse glass cylinders filled with a chemical that, "back in the day", used to be thrown into rooms and help knock down the fires. The older guys who knew the older guys who actually had used them said they worked great....until they found out how toxic the chemical inside was...and hence why they stopped using it.

I wonder how many firefighters would be accepting of this new technology.......I know some that would cry about it taking "our jobs away", but based on the information I've browsed through, this is a really neat technology that I think is going to become as common as an AED or fire extinguisher on apparatus one day.

A little history: Those glass cylinders likely contained Carbon Tetrachloride, which was (among other things) an effective extinguishing agent and was commonly used back-in-the-day. When deployed into a fire, the chemical vaporized and created a dense vapor blanket to smother the flames. It was eventually determined to be highly toxic, since the chemical reaction in a fire also produced phosgene gas, which was widely used in combat during WW-I as a chemical warfare poison gas!

These are antiques now and ive only seen a few! Never seen one work but i don't think it would replace firefighters

These are antiques now and ive only seen a few! Never seen one work but i don't think it would replace firefighters

Please view our web site for the latest "FIT" departments.

A well written post from a respected member of this board follows;

From the NASSAU FD RANT (PAP344)

I did some of my own research on this device so I could bring it to my department for possible purchase, but that is another story.

I know everyone loves the glory of putting out the fire, being the nozzle man, you know the whole fire to left, fire to the right idea, but lets stop one second and view this for what it could potentially be...another tool in our array of useful firefighting equipment.

Forget the property view of this scenario, property can always be replaced. Think about that potential of the lives that could be saved. Say your department gets a call for a house fire with people trapped. The chief pulls up and people are trapped and the house has haevy fire. He can deploy this and give them a fighting chance of survival.

Then think about the priority at a fire...US...while it does not happen often, it does happen...the flashover. Most of us on here saw the results of a flashover from the South Farmingdale house fire. Now take that and transplant it to your own town/department. Maybe whoever is first due at your job wont be as lucky as the guys from South Farmingdale.

Maybe one of your own gets trapped inside a burning house or building (while it is a rare occurence, it CAN happen) Why not have this with your fast team ready to deploy? Remember the Fast/RIT is here for US, why not give them all of the tools necessary to save one our brothers?

We spend so much money on useless equipment that we never use, why not give this a chance. Why dont you guys read up on it before you bash it?

Save a life for the price of $1,300 (cost of unit if I remember correctly), or have the bragging rights because you had the nozzle "when there was fire everywhere" (every war story I have ever heard and told - hehe)

Why are we always so against change, even when it can help?

Think about it

Our training session on October 8th at The State Fire Academy went absolutly perfect.

The State Fire Insructors and those in attendance were amazed with the performance of the FIT 5.

The fire was knocked down and the temp dropped from over 1000 degrees to under 200 degrees within 30 seconds.

All in attendance can vouch for the products usefulness as an additional tool in our arsenol.

We are in the process of putting together an info sheet regarding the training session.

Although my words are totally credible, the MOST credible thoughts/comments will come from those CT ff's who were present.

Please give us a few days to compile this information. I am hoping to also include contact info for those present.

This is a new innovation, I fully expect some doubts/hesitation from the fire service.

Perhaps, comments from your colleagues will persuade you to take a closer look at The FIT 5

We look forward to additional training dates in the region, ALL WE NEED IS AN INVITE!!!

Call me anytime.

The Dutchess Community College Fire Science Program is hosting a demo on the FIT-5 on November 22nd at the Dutchess County Fire Training Center in Poughkeepsie, NY at 09:30 hours. All are welcome to attend.

Positive comments are coming in from our training session at The Connecticut State Fire Academy.

Read answers to our questions and comments below;

Fire Interruption Technology,

Presented by US Fire Tech on October 8, 2008 at The Connecticut State Fire Academy, Windsor Locks, CT.

Comments from the Chiefs present at The Fire Interruption Technology live burn training session.

William Fitzmaurice, Hamden FD

How did the device perform with regards to the actual fire? The fire was knocked down and almost completely extinguished.

How did they device perform with regards to the internal temperature?

The internal temp dropped significantly, several hundred degrees.

Did the device not only knock the fire down, but did it succeed in "buying time"? By knocking down the fire and dropping the internal temps significantly it gives firefighters extra time to get hand lines in place and secure a water supply making the offensive operations safer.

Can you see a positive use for this device within the fire service? This device may not be something we will use every day but does have a place in the fire service for those times where there may be a delay in response or establishing a water supply.

Would you recommend the FIT-5 to your own and surrounding fire departments? I would recommend departments take a close look at this product to see if it will fit into their particular situation. If they can afford to purchase this product it can be a valuable tool in our tool box.

You are correct, there is a lot happening lately though. We are attempting to keep the fd's as best informed as we can.

However, we will reduce the amount of posts we put out though.

I thought thats what all the banners are for and advertisements are for . Is this the new way to push products ?

Found this on Firehouse.com, pretty interesting

New Jersey Department's 'Grenade' Tames Flames

POMPTON LAKES -- Flames were shooting from a Pompton Lakes home Wednesday when a firefighter tossed a 10-pound canister into heavy flames on the second floor.

The canister quickly released a non-hazardous chemical that drastically reduced the temperature of the blaze.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/a...=61489§ionId=46

Found this on Firehouse.com, pretty interesting

Dear Fire Department Officers:

As the cold winter season approaches, we are all acutely aware of the increased probability of house fires partly due to the economic crisis. More homeowners are turning to wood burning stoves, kerosene and electric heaters, and other highly flammable heating sources. Now is the time to prepare for these devastating events.

Here is what one department said they did to become a “FIT” equipped department:

“We held 3 months worth of pancake breakfasts, spaghetti dinners and other fund raisers to purchase our FIT-5 devices.” Chief Pompton Lakes FD, New Jersey.

Another department chief wrote…

“Here on Long Island, we do not have the financial constraints that many of the rural departments in New Jersey and Connecticut have. This is a tool for our “rolling toolboxes” that needs to be in place as the winter season approaches. Don’t be macho and short sighted, buy the FIT-5 today…”

An anonymous source wrote the following on the Nassau Rant Board…

“We all know the FIT-5 has saved many homes and possibly lives in Port Jervis.” Chief Joeseph Kowehl of the Port Jervis, NY Fire Department.

An anonymous chief posted…

“Please do not become the Local FD that knew of this device, but for unexplainable reasons, did not acquire this device and lost either a family’s home or lives. We all know what our manpower issues are at certain times of the day, we know this device can slow the spread of fire or stop it in its path. What are you waiting for?”

Call me today to learn how to obtain your FIT-5 device for your first responder vehicles.