Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Top N.Y. court upholds disability for recovered Fairview (Greenburgh) firefighter retiree

5 posts in this topic

Top N.Y. court upholds disability for recovered Fairview firefighter retiree

BY REBECCA BAKER

THE JOURNAL NEWS • SEPTEMBER 12, 2008

New York state's highest court has ruled that fire departments can't stop paying disability benefits to retired injured firefighters - even if they fully recover.

The Court of Appeals yesterday denied an appeal brought by the Fairview Fire Department in Greenburgh, which wanted to stop paying supplemental benefits to former firefighter Lance McGowan, 45, after a doctor said he was well enough to return to work.

FULL STORY: http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...352/1018/NEWS02

Not the first time I've heard of this lawyer. I know there are several Southern Westchester career departments that have retained her "services", including to fight for some FF's the right to file for WTC Toxic Dust protection. I'm thankful she doesn't practice here in CT.

Conrow said video surveillance taken in 2003 showed......

Also, is this even legal???? Video survaillence, they must have been following this guy around.

Edited by BrotherFF

absolutely legal and done frequently in contested disability cases.

Edited by ny10570

From my understanding, the lawyer who went after this firefighter makes her living going to municipalities claiming she can save them money in disability payments. In my humble opinion, that is more despicable than ambulance-chasing personal injury lawyers. I doubt any of us would want our careers ended by an injury, with the possibility of permanent disability.

Congrats to our brother, first and foremost. It is nice to know he will be able to provide for his family, even after a career-ending injury.

Edited by mbendel36

She has just recently held a closed door session with the conference of mayors in Albany and I believe the westchester faction was in attendance.She has made her services available to any and all.It is to my understanding you DO NOT have to respond to her if she were to contact you in regards to physical ability.You would however have to respond if it is in reference to additional income on top of disability pension.

Edited by gss131