Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markmets415

Suggestion For A New Camera?

6 posts in this topic

X635 I know you take a ton of pics, any suggestions for a new camera.

I always have a Canon Digital Powershot SD with me wherever I go. They're small, durable little cameras, easy to use, and take great photos. The latest model of this camera line is generally always what I reccomend.

The SD890 is a great camera, it is 10MP and has image stabilization.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5507...IS_Digital.html

If you're looking for a lower price, any of the older generations of the Powershot SD line work great:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5507...IS_Digital.html

And always make sure to get an extra battery, the largest memory card you can afford, and a protective case.

(Note that when I go out to shoot photos specifically, I use a Canon Digital SLR)

most likely would like to spend under $500.00, I use a kodak easy share and it is ok for around the firehouse and taking outdoor stuff but really lacks inside.

I have a old minolta x-7a with a reg lens, a wide angle lens and some other stufff from yester year.

Just getting back into taking photos because of our website.

Seth thanks the cameras you said are well within what I would like to spend.

most likely would like to spend under $500.00, I use a kodak easy share and it is ok for around the firehouse and taking outdoor stuff but really lacks inside.

If you are looking for SLR-type features without SLR pricing, take a look at the new Canon G10 (coming out this month). It is around $500, and has most of the innards of the Digital Rebel SLR without the lens options. It has 14+ megapixels, 5x optical zoom, RAW image support (big deal), and decent high-ISO performance (which matters for low-light photography). Also has IS, which is good for low light as well. I know a few photographers that use the G9 (the previous one) as their always-on-hand camera, and they love it.

I have a powershot sd1100is and a XTi with a few lenses, and I think I am going to get a G10 for when I don't want to carry my whole camera bag around with me.

X635 I know you take a ton of pics, any suggestions for a new camera.

For serious shooting I use a Nikon D3. Expensive but worth it; I have never ever regretted spending money on good cameras, and often regretted not having spent more. Don't hold back on the lenses either; good glass is even more important.

For general use I always have an Olympus Stylus 1030SW in my pocket. Solid metal. Shockproof (dropped it 3ft onto concrete more than once with no problem) and waterproof to 60ft. Ideal for use on scene. I've even had it in the class A burn room at Valhalla! Cheap enough, and most important it's compact, pocketable; to take photos you must first have the camera with you! Very highly recommended - I have one, my wife has one, my son has one, my au pair has one!

Mike