Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LTNRFD

Body Fluids-What do you do?

12 posts in this topic

After reading the comments on the MVA in Yonkers and the resulting topic about the "wash down", a few thoughts came to mind.

1) Whose responsibility is it to wash down the fluids? If the scene was inside of a structure or a confined space, an environmental clean up service would be contracted.

2) If the Fire Department has the responsibility, such as on a public street, what are the protocols for doing the clean up?

3) Does the Fire Department fall under the same rules as an environmental clean up service?

4) Would the Fire Department need to use some sort of agent to kill any pathogens. Hep B can survive long and in many types of environments. It could be possible that IF there was a large enough amount of blood and it was washed down into the storm drain and it could find it's way to an area the the public has access to. Could this cause someone to be exposed to Hep B?

It just seems that if the fluids or body parts are in a structure of a confined area, there are all types of precautions that are required. If the same scenario is on the highway or out in public, there is a different set of rules.

What do you think?

I know once in Dobbs Ferry we had a lady get hit by a car and there was blood in the roadway and we toned out an Engine to put speedydry on the blood then washed it down the drain

Bottle of bleach, hoseline and drisol. That should do it. Better yet, if it's a crime scene, let the PD(ESU) handle it.

Edited by FirNaTine

I know once in Dobbs Ferry we had a lady get hit by a car and there was blood in the roadway and we toned out an Engine to put speedydry on the blood then washed it down the drain

Bad idea. Now you've got hazardous waste that needs to be disposed of in the proper fashion and your tools need to be deconed. As was posted previously - you can't beat bleach and water.

The solution to pollution is dilution. 5 liters of blood in an adult, round that up to 2 gallons. If it goes down the drain, by the time it hits any waterway its been diluted many hundreds of times over. More likely you're talking about a few pints per patient.

A lot of years ago I was at a fatal MVA in the dead of winter that required blood and bodily fluids to be washed down. The road could not be left the way it was so the FD was requested, they responded, washed the blood and other icky stuff away and DOT salted/sanded to prevent icing. This allowed us to all go home.

As for who's responsibility it is, that's a good question. Ultimately, I guess the PD will have to facilitate it but that doesn't mean they're responsible for it. Whoever "owns" the road is probably responsible (ie DOT/DPW/Highway). After all, it's the building owner who has to clean off the sidewalk in front of their building in similar situations, right?

aabout 4 years ago in PG county we had a pedestrian hit by a car, all we did was pick up as much brain matter as we could and put it in a red bag and washed down the road with a hose line

You've got to leave a little something for the seagulls

LOL! Oh man you're sick!!! :lol:

I think the people saying dilution hit the nail on the head.

It's been hammered into so many people that "washdowns" are obsolete, a thing of the past, but not in all cases.

Also, I've seen people put down Speedy-Dry for oil and car fluids, and just leave it at the scene. That's just as bad as washing it down, because when rain comes it will end up somewhere. Speedy-Dry is supposed to be removed and properly disposed of, but I often wonder how many departments or wrecker operators actually sweep it up and take it with them for proper disposal?

I think the people saying dilution hit the nail on the head.

It's been hammered into so many people that "washdowns" are obsolete, a thing of the past, but not in all cases.

Also, I've seen people put down Speedy-Dry for oil and car fluids, and just leave it at the scene. That's just as bad as washing it down, because when rain comes it will end up somewhere. Speedy-Dry is supposed to be removed and properly disposed of, but I often wonder how many departments or wrecker operators actually sweep it up and take it with them for proper disposal?

I was told by the health department (years ago) that when Speedy-dry is used the health department is to be notified and they would facilitate the proper disposal of it. On it's face it sounds great that they would handle it, however for them to handle all Speedy-dry clean ups, I don't know about that. Has anyone else heard of this with the health department?

Bleach with copious amounts of water usually does the trick. Also if you use speedy dry or some other form of absorbent it has to go into red biohazard bags or a properly marked bag. To simplify getting rid of it, as long as it was clean when originally used, you can just bring the red bags to the hospital and discard it there as well. A lot simpler then having to go through the health department.