Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RescueKujo

September Southern California Photo Tour

39 posts in this topic

About 2 weeks ago, I was fortunate to have some friends from back east come out for a collector's event at a dealer's store. They added extra time to their trips for some photo tours throughout the southland. Here's a few photos from the tours. I'm not done with the Los Angeles County and LAFD photos yet. I'll post when the photos are all their respective albums in my Photobucket account.

Duane

post-5252-1222833698.jpg

post-5252-1222833714.jpg

post-5252-1222833730.jpg

post-5252-1222833743.jpg

post-5252-1222833764.jpg

That Seagrave tractor drawn rescue is incredible. Awesome shots.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Grumble, grumble, the green monster of envy is creeping up next to me....

Nice shots buddy. Sorry I couldn't make it.

I love that the west coast still use tiller ladders I wish the east coast would get back to them... A real Hook & Ladder truck.

Great photo's keep them coming

Just my cents

Chris

New Haven FD still runs 1 or 2 of them, as do Baltimore and DC.

New Haven FD still runs 1 or 2 of them, as do Baltimore and DC.

New Haven runs 2 TDAs. Truck 2 (Howard Ave Station) in a 1988 Seagrave and Truck 4 (Dixwell / Goffe Station) has a 2006 Seagrave. Old Truck 4's 1987 Seagrave is a spare designated Truck 4A.

The only other TDA in service in CT that I know of is New London's A-35, a 2007 Seagrave TDA just placed into service this past year.

Hartford & Bridgeport got rid of theirs TDAs by the 1980s / 90s

One thing to look at out there is the layout of the streets. Most places can't fit a rear mount, or a tower ladder. Other places, it isn't feasible to have a tower simply because the need isn't there. You don't have the same type of building construction(5 and 6 story MD's) as you do out here. Ladder pipe ops are also the norm out there. I can understand Anaheim having the Bronto, and that's for Disneyland, amongst other spots.

There are tons of Tillers left on the east coast... I can think of a crapload off the top of my head

Berwyn Heights MD

Chillim-Adelphi MD

Owings Mills MD

Hastings-on-Hudson, NY

Mamaroneck, NY

Albany, NY

District of Columbia

FDNY

Hyattsville, MD

Pottsville, PA

Eden, PA

Somerville, MA

Suffern, NY

Reading, PA

North Hudson Regional, NJ

Hoboken, NJ (maybe replaced with RM)

New London, CT

Baltimore City, MD

Baltimore County, MD

Virginia Beach, VA

Edited by mfc2257

Not East coast per say but Columbus OH runs several tda and theirs are unique being that that tractor is tadem axle.

MFC- Irvington does not have a tiller, Hastings on Hudson does. This is probably who you were thinking of. Stamford I think had 2 at one point, long before I ever worked there, Truck 1 was replaced in 1996, I believe.

MFC- Irvington does not have a tiller, Hastings on Hudson does. This is probably who you were thinking of. Stamford I think had 2 at one point, long before I ever worked there, Truck 1 was replaced in 1996, I believe.

Absolutly right... Total brainfart on my part. Hastings Truck 22... Century Cab ALF if I recall correctly.

You can add Somerville, NJ; Irvington, NJ; (which actually bought Somerville's old Seagrave), Morristown, NJ; Trenton, NJ; Hamilton Twp, NJ; Atlantic City, NJ; Ventnor Cuty, NJ; and Camden, NJ to the list of departments that run TDAs or tiller ladders.

Absolutly right... Total brainfart on my part. Hastings Truck 22... Century Cab ALF if I recall correctly.

If I recall correctly, Dobbs Ferry FD had a tiller L23 (ALF?) before they got their Mack/AerialScope TL23.

There are tons of Tillers left on the east coast... I can think of a crapload off the top of my head

Berwyn Heights MD

Chillim-Adelphi MD

Owings Mills MD

Hastings-on-Hudson, NY

Mamaroneck, NY

Albany, NY

District of Columbia

FDNY

Hyattsville, MD

Pottsville, PA

Eden, PA

Somerville, MA

Suffern, NY

Reading, PA

New London, CT

Baltimore City, MD

Baltimore County, MD

Virginia Beach, VA

Don't forget (disclaimer: NOT ALL are in front-line service):

New Haven, CT (D'oh! Someone beat me to it on that one. Sorry!)

Nyack, NY (x2!)

Haverstraw, NY

Elizabeth, NJ

Newport, RI

Attleboro, MA

Cambridge, MA

Fall River, MA

Gloucester, MA

Holyoke, MA

Haverhill, MA

Leominster, MA

Melrose, MA

New Bedford, MA

Newbury, MA

Peabody, MA

Quincy, MA

Revere, MA

Salem, MA

Somerville, MA

Southbridge, MA

Springfield, MA

Waltham, MA

Worcester, MA

Stowe, VT

Manchester, NH

In all seriousness, nice photos, especially Ventura County Rescue 54, Anaheim Truck 3, and of course, Riverside City Truck 1! Thanks for sharing.

Slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd ask, what exactly does California OES do?

-Joe DA BUFF

In all seriousness, nice photos, especially Ventura County Rescue 54, Anaheim Truck 3, and of course, Riverside City Truck 1! Thanks for sharing.

Slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd ask, what exactly does California OES do?

-Joe DA BUFF

Joe-California OES is our version of the old "Civil Defense" rigs. There are somewhere around 160-175 rigs doled out to departments around the state, which are accepted under certain terms the state lays out. Mainly, anytime the state activates them ( 1989 San Francisco Earthquake, 1994 Northridge Quake, numerous campaign wildfires) the department must staff and respond the rig. The rig cannot be used in frontline service, only in place of a reserve rig or a "break-in" period, such as when the department receives the rig to get acclimated to it.

Jimmy, didn't mean to draw out the little green monster. Mike Quinn and I are already exchanging emails with ideas for next year.

Thanks for the kind words. Due to work today and tomorrow it'll be the weekend before the rest are posted into albums.

Duane

Joe-California OES is our version of the old "Civil Defense" rigs. There are somewhere around 160-175 rigs doled out to departments around the state, which are accepted under certain terms the state lays out. Mainly, anytime the state activates them ( 1989 San Francisco Earthquake, 1994 Northridge Quake, numerous campaign wildfires) the department must staff and respond the rig. The rig cannot be used in frontline service, only in place of a reserve rig or a "break-in" period, such as when the department receives the rig to get acclimated to it.

Jimmy, didn't mean to draw out the little green monster. Mike Quinn and I are already exchanging emails with ideas for next year.

Thanks for the kind words. Due to work today and tomorrow it'll be the weekend before the rest are posted into albums.

Duane

Thanks for the explanation Duane. I wondered about it, and that's very interesting about their purpose and why they're staffed. So, in the event of a disaster and a Department is called back to respond, they staff that rig instead of their own? Wow. It also kinda makes sense about "Statewide spares", if I followed your explanation correctly (and if I did not, please do clarify.) Thanks.

-Joe DA BUFF

Joe, you got it correct. As for responses, in a disaster setting requests come through the region center for more resources. 6 regions in California. Depending on the scale of the incident, or in the case of last fall's wildfires, region sends the requests to State OES. Either center then tries to fill those requests as best they can. For example, at 2 p.m. on the day the 2007 firestorm started, region received I believe requests for 100 strike teams (5 engines plus leader). That's 500 engines. I heard a couple of Incident Commanders were told it'll be 12 hours (drive time from Northern California). But those are the extreme scale. Long story made short, departments can and have sent both an OES engine and their department rig on seperate strike teams.

DK

On Saturday, September 13th, the Fire and Cop Shop had their open house. Besides the sale at the store, plus kitbash displays and a great mexican food buffet, the owners Art and Teri Deyo set up tours with local departments. We visited Rancho Cucamonga FD, Ontario FD, Chino Valley FD, Riverside (City) FD and the Crash/Fire department at March Air Reserve Base. Here's a few of those...

Someone mention tillers/TDAs? The Seagrave rigs are for training. Both Ontario and Rancho Cucamonga are returning to TDAs after years with tower platforms...

post-5252-1223019598.jpg

post-5252-1223019608.jpg

post-5252-1223019615.jpg

post-5252-1223019633.jpg

post-5252-1223019640.jpg

The day before as we were visiting through the LA area, we went to Beverly Hills FD FS 1 and a couple of Culver City stations...

A note about Culver City. As the engineer on Engine 1 was returning the engine to the bay and getting ready to pull out the reserve engine, they received a response. The Duty Chief was nice enough to pull it out and put it back for us...

post-5252-1223019734.jpg

post-5252-1223019744.jpg

post-5252-1223019753.jpg

post-5252-1223019762.jpg

post-5252-1223019770.jpg

As previously stated, part of the dealer's tours was the Crash/Fire department at March Air Reserve Base. Here's some of their units...

post-5252-1223072264.jpg

post-5252-1223072280.jpg

post-5252-1223072301.jpg

post-5252-1223072314.jpg

post-5252-1223072328.jpg

Some of the LA County FD rigs we photographed...

post-5252-1223072420.jpg

post-5252-1223072448.jpg

post-5252-1223072461.jpg

post-5252-1223072468.jpg

post-5252-1223072508.jpg

And last but not least, some of the Los Angeles Fire Department rigs we photographed...

post-5252-1223098878.jpg

post-5252-1223098885.jpg

post-5252-1223098909.jpg

post-5252-1223098938.jpg

post-5252-1223098947.jpg

A few more from the LAFD

post-5252-1223099003.jpg

post-5252-1223099012.jpg

post-5252-1223099019.jpg

post-5252-1223099072.jpg

post-5252-1223099094.jpg

Did the O-man help you out with Van Nuys??

PS, the new decals on the grill of Q-127 looks pretty sweet.

Did the O-man help you out with Van Nuys??

No, he's in the middle of his Kern County SO Academy. Mike Quinn (M1968Q on FireEngines.net) set up the tours through the respective PIOs.

Berwyn Heights MD

Chillim-Adelphi MD

Owings Mills MD

Hastings-on-Hudson, NY

Mamaroneck, NY

Albany, NY

District of Columbia

FDNY

Hyattsville, MD

Pottsville, PA

Eden, PA

Somerville, MA

Suffern, NY

Reading, PA

New London, CT

Baltimore City, MD

Baltimore County, MD

Virginia Beach, VA

Philly has loads of them. At least 2 suburban companies, Willow Grove and Gladwyne in Montgomery County operate with them.

Jersey City has a couple as well. I will admit I am intrigued by that USAR Tiller. Looks like I'm gonna have to line up a few mutuals for next year and make a few phone calls. I have a medium sized list of rigs I want to shoot out there. Long Beach and a few LAFD come to mind.

More great photos Duane! Nice to see Light Force 127. And thanks again for answering my questions about California OES. Crazy Q: I heard that there are a few Crowns left in service in LA County, like Engine 269 out in Topanga. Is this true and do you have any photos? Thanks.

-Joe DA BUFF